The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-19-2007, 08:21 PM   #1
Lated

Traction tips?

I have 305 and a 3 speed in my truck and I have problems keeping the tires from spinning if the road is just the slightest bit damp. I have 9in wide tires and the truck has a coilover rear. I'm not sure of the gear ratio in the rear end. I have a 350 that I am in the process of rebuilding (just waiting on funds) and I'm afraid that the traction will be even worse with the bigger engine. What can I do to get more traction. The only thing I can think of is moving the gas tank out of the cab and under the bed but I'm not sure it will make enough of a difference.

'70 SWB Step-Side (More rust than metal)
Lated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 08:31 PM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Traction tips?

The problem with relying on a rear tank for traction is it has to be full for best results.I don`t know about you,but the only time my tank is full is right after I leave the gas station,lol.
What tire pressure do you run?I usually run lower than recommended.Other than that,I just go easy with releasing the clutch.3spds have a tall first and I`ve never had the problem you`re having with the 3spd.Maybe it`s your clutch adjustment or,worse,the clutch itself.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 08:49 PM   #3
Lated

I usually run 30psi front and rear. My clutch chatters pretty bad in reverse but doesn't seem to have any problems going forward. I spins fairly easily in 2nd gear too but when I have the most trouble is turning right at stop lights. It seems like no matter how careful I am the ass end slides out from under me.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:48 PM   #4
71Rat
ran out of money

might be somewhat of a stupid question but is it a posi or open? my one legger loves to run wild but my other truck with a posi in it rarely will spin.... ones and auto and ones a manual so that might be somewhat of the difference.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:49 PM   #5
Brock
upgrading to an older model

Remove big-toe from the carb...

Gas in the back should help, at about 7lbs per gal thats quite a bit of weight distribution. It makes a HUGE difference in my stockcar.

On the brighter side you can take some pictures and join that thread thats showing off burn-outs.
Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 07:43 AM   #6
special-K
Special Order

If it chirps mostly when turning you may have a locker or stout posi.Jack one side of the rear up and see if you can turn the raised tire.It should turn pretty freely if it`s an open rear.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 08-20-2007, 01:50 PM   #7
ND_guy
Tool Addiction=Money Shortage

Try using a wider performance tire, limited slip, or 500 lbs of lumber in the bed. That last one would most likely hurt performance though
Old 08-20-2007, 02:30 PM   #8
grayw0lf

Same here! Open diff. My left tire has tread while my right tire is nice & bare.
05' Dodge Neon
88' Winner Escape Sport 1750 - 4.3v6
94' Seadoo SP
84' Honda TRX200, bare nekkid. Just a frame & tires.

Always looking for another project or any good deal!

grayw0lf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 03:14 PM   #9
AlienYouth

ha, it rained here yesterday, an i had my truck sideways more than straight on the road, if ya ask me, keep it like that n have some good times : )
AlienYouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 03:20 PM   #10
Schralper

Your coilovers might be to stiff.
Soften the shock so you use about 40% of travel at rest, weight on both wheels. Plus a short wheelbase does not help.
Are you using good quality tires? Hard compound tires will always spin in the wet.
Schralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 03:35 PM   #11
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I'd say get rid of the coil overs first, let the trailing arms act as traction bars.
You need to check your tire pressure too, run it down the freeway and check the temp of the tread all the way across as soon as you stop. If you don't have access to a lazer touchless thermometer or something like that, you can use your hand... you want a nice even temperature across the tread. If the center is hotter than the outter portions of the tread, you are over inflated, if the center is cooler, then you need more air.
What size are your tires?
How wide are the rims?
I suspect most of the problem is your foot honestly. This isn't like driving mom's centra where you just floor it and it goes through any turn you can throw at it. I've never heard of a 305 accidently gettin sideways all the time either.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 03:53 PM   #12
Lated

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND_guy View Post
Try using a wider performance tire, limited slip, or 500 lbs of lumber in the bed. That last one would most likely hurt performance though
LOL a guy at work told me to fill the bottom of the bed with concrete. I do have one of those Shurtrax waterbags that weighs about 300lbs when full but I only use it during the winter. It makes a noticable difference but the tires still spin fairly easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schralper View Post
Your coilovers might be to stiff.
Soften the shock so you use about 40% of travel at rest, weight on both wheels. Plus a short wheelbase does not help.
Are you using good quality tires? Hard compound tires will always spin in the wet.
My truck is still wearing the same Road Hugger shoes it had when I bought it in '05. Sounds like cheap tires to me, but I'm trying to make them last until I swap from 6 - 5 lug. They won't fit on the 5 lug wheels I have so I don't really want to buy tires to use for only a couple months. I also noticed that the shocks on the rear have a coil spring around them. Could that be making the rear too stiff?

I'll have to wait until this weekend to check if I have an open rear or not since my wife works evenings and I get to play Mr. Mom. On somewhat of a side note, I have a '72 parts truck which is where my 5 lug swap parts are coming from. Can I just pull the axle shafts out of the rear and put them in my driver? It's a '70. Both are coil spring rears. Would lowering the front a little more than the back so it has a little rake help the traction any? I'll have to check on the tire/wheel size later. As far as putting my foot in it too much, I really try to be careful cuz I'm always afraid I'm gonna break something. I don't know what all has been done to the 305. It doesn't sound like the stock cam but that shouldn't make enough difference to be having this problem. Maybe I should hurry up and finish the 350 and throw the 305 in the bed for weight

Last edited by Lated; 08-20-2007 at 04:02 PM.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:08 PM   #13
Lated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
This isn't like driving mom's centra where you just floor it and it goes through any turn you can throw at it.
You mean like my 99 Z28? My mom drives a F-250 with a powerstroke!

Last edited by Lated; 08-20-2007 at 04:13 PM.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:21 PM   #14
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

good point... but you get the picture.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 06:33 PM   #15
Lated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
I'd say get rid of the coil overs first, let the trailing arms act as traction bars.
You need to check your tire pressure too, run it down the freeway and check the temp of the tread all the way across as soon as you stop. If you don't have access to a lazer touchless thermometer or something like that, you can use your hand... you want a nice even temperature across the tread. If the center is hotter than the outter portions of the tread, you are over inflated, if the center is cooler, then you need more air.
What size are your tires?
How wide are the rims?
I suspect most of the problem is your foot honestly. This isn't like driving mom's centra where you just floor it and it goes through any turn you can throw at it. I've never heard of a 305 accidently gettin sideways all the time either.

My tires are P275/60r15. According to the tire size calculator I found that means they are 28" tall and almost 11" wide.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:31 PM   #16
special-K
Special Order

That`s plenty of tire.See,stock tire sizeshave worked for years and yours are alot fatter.Those coil overs are definately adding to your problem and probably the biggest problem.Why are they on there?You`re empty with auxilary coils,basically.That thing`s gotta be way stiff in the rear.Just pull them off and see the difference.Then,go buy some cheap shocks if you have later suspension plans for your other tires/5-lug swap.

Tim

Old 08-20-2007, 08:46 PM   #17
Lated

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
That`s plenty of tire.See,stock tire sizeshave worked for years and yours are alot fatter.Those coil overs are definately adding to your problem and probably the biggest problem.Why are they on there?You`re empty with auxilary coils,basically.That thing`s gotta be way stiff in the rear.Just pull them off and see the difference.Then,go buy some cheap shocks if you have later suspension plans for your other tires/5-lug swap.
They were there when I bought the truck. I'll be pulling them off this weekend.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:42 PM   #18
special-K
Special Order

Let us know how that works.I figured they were on there already since you have other plans.My question,"Why are they on there?"was not directed at you.Just a ponderence.
BTW,where are you in MD?

Tim

Old 08-21-2007, 10:04 PM   #19
Lated

Special-k, I'm in odenton. Do you know of any reputable body shops in the local area? I would like to have new floors put in my truck this winter but I don't know of good shop around here to take it to.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:40 PM   #20
1970bowtie

start dating a fat chick and make her ride in the back
WTT 2 15x10 american racing outlaw 2 wheels for 2 of the same in a 15x7 or 15x8

Last edited by 1970bowtie; 08-21-2007 at 10:42 PM.
1970bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:40 AM   #21
68K20 x Drill

I find a transfer case does a fine job!
When I had street tires, I needed 4x4 to get up my paved driveway if it was even foggy.

84 Chevrolet Suburban K20 6.2 Banks turbo TH400/NP208 Now with G80

68 GMC C20 Parts? Truck

And a few cars
68K20 x Drill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:32 PM   #22
Lated

Well, I checked the bank account and it looks like I'll have to wait until next weekend to buy shocks to replace the coil overs. I was going to pull the shocks off my parts truck but only one was usable.

Old 09-16-2007, 08:25 PM   #23
Lated

I feel like I betrayed my truck. I bought a 98 Z28 last week to be my daily driver. At least now I can devote the time to long term projects on my truck without having to worry about getting it put back together enough to drive to work on Monday. It will most likely be a long time before I get to the bottom of the traction issue with my truck though. Rusty floorboards come first.

Old 09-16-2007, 08:35 PM   #24
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I was saving a similar problem with my 96. It would light up the rears with out thinking. It was really touchy on wet roads. I like you had 275/60x15's on it. I went to 31x10.50x15 and the taller tire was just enough to still run hard, but took away the touchy side to it breaking loose, unless I asked it too.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 10:56 PM   #25
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

I think Longhorn Man's comments hit it on the nail...

Most young people these days (and some older folks) have never driven a rear wheel drive vehicle, much less a light on the rear end pickup truck. It takes some learning to drive a pickup truck that's empty on slick roads.

I've been driving these all my life-that means for over 40 years- and I still have trouble sometimes.

First, you need to remember that the rear is going to swing around on a turn on slick roads, that stopping may require you to pump the brakes, and taking off will spin the rear tire or tires.

The next thing to remember is that the road is slickest when there is just a slight rain. The oils will rise to the surface and not get washed off the road. So give yourself more distance to stop and slow your speed down some.

Last, if you need really traction place a couple of sand bags on the back of the truck. Looks tacky, but it works especially in snow.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote