The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-25-2007, 09:17 AM   #1
70cst

Re: just totaled my 69 and almost totaled me

Quote:
Originally Posted by manimal View Post
Glad to see you are alive. Dont feel one bit sorry for that drunk SOB one bit.

One thing we need to remember...David Argo had a Mother & Father and now they are mourning the loss of their son. Maybe he had children? Yes what he did was STUPID but he has paid the ultimate price. When my son was killed back in 2001 this board was
very compassionate for ALL who were involved in the accident especially for me. My son made a mistake (he pulled in front of a van--no DUI) and he lost his life and others were hurt in the process. I am glad berencam will be ok and like it has been said...we can always replace our trucks...not our lives. Lets show the respect for all involved. That is what has made this board so special. JMHO
Again berencam if we can be of help just let us know. We all will do the best we can to assist you. Best wishes!

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!

Last edited by 70cst; 10-25-2007 at 09:18 AM.
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:14 AM   #2
manimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cst View Post

One thing we need to remember...David Argo had a Mother & Father and now they are mourning the loss of their son. Maybe he had children? Yes what he did was STUPID but he has paid the ultimate price. When my son was killed back in 2001 this board was
very compassionate for ALL who were involved in the accident especially for me. My son made a mistake (he pulled in front of a van--no DUI) and he lost his life and others were hurt in the process. I am glad berencam will be ok and like it has been said...we can always replace our trucks...not our lives. Lets show the respect for all involved. That is what has made this board so special. JMHO
Again berencam if we can be of help just let us know. We all will do the best we can to assist you. Best wishes!
Very sorry to hear of your loss also. But I still dont have any sympathy for ANY drunk driver,especially if they cause this kind of havoc. I was 7 yrs old and saw my best friend and his dad killed by a drunk driver while sitting at a stop sign on a motorcycle directly behind us.-STILL HAUNTS ME!
I feel bad for the kids family,but not the kid.Sorry,but it is how I feel.
I am glad our Brother here is alive.
-Lance
-
1999 Suburban K2500, 7.4, 4L80e
1980 Camaro..son's car...PROJECT

Last edited by manimal; 10-25-2007 at 11:15 AM.
manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:21 AM   #3
70cst

manimal...thats ok and thanks. That is what makes this board so special! We can all differ on our feelings and opinions and thats ok. That is what a family is all about. We are a family of sorts and it is refreshing that we can agree to disagree. Yet we support each other when a need arises.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

Last edited by 70cst; 10-25-2007 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:19 PM   #4
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Quote:

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 02:22 PM   #5
nyncompute

Thumbs up Re: just totaled my 69 and almost totaled me

Quote:

Amen to that sentment.
I too am glad for you and sad for him. Back in the day I've been stupid enough too drive plenty of times in that condition. It was amazing I didn't have the same outcome. Not proud of it mind you. All the same, from those days to these, I would like to think I've done more good than harm. No excuses just fact.
Too bad Mr Argo made a dumb choice (who doesn't at 21) and you, him, and your respective families paid a great price. No telling what good was yet to come from young David.
Heal fast my friend

Last edited by nyncompute; 10-25-2007 at 04:54 PM. Reason: syntax
nyncompute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:36 AM   #6
72armyswbtruck

Ouch, glad you made it out alive, just goes to show you what good american steel can withstand
Old 10-25-2007, 10:41 AM   #7
chipflyer

Glad you are ok and sorry to hear about the other guy. That seat belt probably saved your life, we should all take notice of that.

Jeff

1971 Cheyenne Super K10 - tilt, cruise, air, am/fm, tow hooks, factory buckets!
1986 Jeep J10 pickup, - 5.3L Vortec with 4L60e and NP241.
chipflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:46 AM   #8
gehidore
I wish; I wish I where a fish!

Good to hear the big man upstairs still has some pull around these parts.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:53 PM   #9
WorkinLonghorn

berencam,I hope you can put this entire incident behind you,the sooner the better.You have some pretty serious injuries,but reading your posts and seeing your spirit,I have no doubt that you will make a speedy and complete recovery.As for the truck,you got out way more than you put in.Now you need to fix that ding in the front. No really,best wishes for a bright future.-Brian
'69 GMC C2500 Custom Camper, 8 1/2' bed, New GM 350, NP 435 Close Ratio 4spd. Trans., 3.73 Dana-60 open.Camper and Trailer wiring, PS, PB, AC, tach , three gas tanks, 2nd owner, Work-Truck supreme. Best $300 I ever spent.
WorkinLonghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 04:08 PM   #10
ChaseDale3and8

You were VERY lucky to survive that! It's usually the drunk driver that walks away and the sober driver that gets killed instead. Ya better do a LOT of thankin' to the big man for this one! I hate to see a classic truck get destroyed like that . Glad you're going to be okay though.

You aren't located all that far from me I noticed! I live on the southwest side of Springfield over in Battlefield. Bobbo (Robert) and I are trying to get a Chevy and GMC truck club up and going here. If you'd be interested in joining once you recover and get everything squared away just let us know. Hope you feel better soon. ...Joe
Old 10-25-2007, 04:21 PM   #11
jeffnohio

Dang Brother.. Sorry to hear about this! I would definatly thank God for looking out for ya.. Hope you recover fast and things get back to normal. Sorry about your truck and the other drivers choices they made to drive drunk.

Jeff
Old 10-25-2007, 04:42 PM   #12
396muncie

Yes, praise God you're still alive!! I've seen these trucks hit before, but never that hard. Our prayers are with you.
Chris

72 Cheyenne K20, 350, Granny 4spd, LWB, daily driver

72 Cheyenne Super C20, 350, Turbo 400, LWB, parts truck for 4WD Cheyenne
396muncie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 04:45 PM   #13
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

Have you gotten a police report about his speed? Ive seen longhornman's C10 that was hit by a high speed Mazda, and it stayed fairly solid, minus the frame damage. Your WHOLE truck took the impact, seeing as even the bed dug into the cab from the impact running down the frame. I cannot even imagine thet force needed to get one of our trucks like this in a head-on wreck.

Glad your allright. My thoughts and prairs to the family. But no sympathy to the driver. I have seen too many ppl go down due to drinking. And being this kid was 21, prolly just out gettin drunk for fun.
texanidiot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 05:47 PM   #14
shortbed70

Thank god your ok. The truck is replaceable you arent. Any salvagable parts you can get money from?

1965 Chevy Bagged,361 sbc,voodoo cam,1.5 full roller rockers,patriot 185cc vortec heads 2.02-1.60,vortec weiand polished intake,demon carb

my truckhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=332884

Big Red Dog build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=572274
shortbed70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 05:53 PM   #15
ChaseDale3and8

I was reading some of the other posts and have to agree with two things that were said. I've never seen one of these trucks get hit as hard as yours did.

Secondly, it's better that he hit your truck than one of those little import cars with a family inside, and that you likely were put there at that moment to keep something like that from happening. ...Joe
Old 10-25-2007, 11:48 PM   #16
KP1972

Count your blessings everyday from now on. It is a miracle you are OK. It is tragic what happened to the other guy, and I hate to see your truck in such a mess. Must say something about the integrity of the 69 with no modern day crumple zone or air bags. Take care and heal up soon!
www.PictureTrail.com/DreamCarArt
KP1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 08:59 AM   #17
Joe67
67 is sold

DAMN - look at that front end. Glad you're OK...

gr8lakes - My ebay auctions

Click here to order forum apparel :: Click here to become a subscribing member
Joe67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 09:14 AM   #18
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

Im sorry about the wreck, but glad to see you still here and posting. take care of yourself and getting yourself healed, trucks can be replaced.. you cant..

Im really sorry your truck got squished.. but like everyone else said..
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 09:25 AM   #19
berencam

yea like some of the others i wish the best for davids family. i tried contacting the family to comfort them, but they did not want to be talked to at the time.im still on these boards because when i heal i will be restoring another one. this one saved my life, think i found my dd for the rest of my life.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:26 AM   #20
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Good Lord. Glad your OK!

I'm afraid to ask how the steering wheel got like that, but I think I know

Did you have 3 point or 2 point belts?

I hope you have a speedy recovery.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 09:27 AM   #21
berencam

oh and to whoever asked where my engine went, one of the pics shows it pushing its way through the floorboard of the cab,

2 point belt, and yes my face did the damage on the steering wheel

Last edited by berencam; 10-25-2007 at 09:28 AM.
berencam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 09:28 AM   #22
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Thank God you're okay... and it's good thing you were wearing your seatbelt. From the looks of the hit, you could have gone through the windshield.

Did you have shoulder seat belts on your truck? Makes me think about installing them on mine...

Sad about the other young man. His whole life ahead of him and now gone...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 09:38 AM   #23
ccd3

I agree with what CST70 said- let's be thankful our member is able to post and be respectful for the man who didn't walk away. We've all done stupid things- part of living is making poor choices. Hopefully, when we do these stupid things and walk away, we can reflect, say a prayer and try to do better next time.

Everything is connected- no matter how large or small what we do effects the life of another.
ccd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:31 AM   #24
oteixeira

OK, I know some people are going to take this wrong, but all I really want to say is Amen to what was CCD3 said, and God Bless Berencam. It's a joy to see you posting after what happened to you, and to be able to forgive as you have, and even reach out to the family involved shows that you are a good man.

Prayers to you and all involved, and again, if things are needed, do not be afraid to call on this board for help, that is what we do for each other here.

Orlando
Old 10-25-2007, 11:00 AM   #25
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by oteixeira View Post
OK, I know some people are going to take this wrong, but all I really want to say is Amen to what was CCD3 said, and God Bless Berencam. Orlando
You are right on...unlike some I cannot cast the first stone because I still make mistakes. Hopefully I will never make a mistake as serious as this. I am glad most have a heart felt response to all. My son was killed because he made a mistake and turned into the path of a van...yet it is believed the van was going much faster than the speed limit. So who was in the greater wrong. Hopefully this will help us use our seatbelts as they will save lives and don''t drink and drive. berencam...reaching out to the other family comes from a lifestyle and I for one am glad that your were able to do that. I must confess it took me longer to get to that stage but once I did....all was well. Enough said.

Last edited by 70cst; 10-25-2007 at 11:02 AM.