The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-25-2007, 09:58 PM   #1
liquiddragon

Air ride or what?

well it looks like i will get to buy a truck once i return home in two weeks. im currently looking at two trucks. one is a 69 GMC C20 that i am really interested in but if i get it i would really like to get some type of Air ride suspension for it. are there any kits out there that cost less than $2500 for this type of truck? also what other types of kits do they have for these trucks other than going to an air bag system? also im in the coast guard so the internet is really slow so any direct links to kits would help me out a lot. thanks

link to my photobucket with pictures of the corvette.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v41/liquiddragon/
liquiddragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:08 AM   #2
IvelDesigns
Commander Taco Bello

Re: Air ride or what?

check out the suspension forum. i've recently posted a few "shopping lists" for what you will need. unless you are looking for a computer controlled system, you can do it all for around $1500.
IvelDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:10 AM   #3
IvelDesigns
Commander Taco Bello

here's a link:

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=261544
IvelDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 03:52 AM   #4
liquiddragon

thanks for the reply but i am actually looking for a complete kit. i know i originaly said that the truck was a 69 but i was looking at a few and the truck that i was refering to is a 1970 GMC C20 3/4. if i get it i plan on driving it a lot and dont need a kit for laying frame or anything like that i just want something that will keep the truck low but with a good ride quality. if i get it i also want to run 18x10"s rims in the back and 17x8"s rims in the front. i really like TTII's but i dont know what bolt pattern the truck is and im not sure if they make TTII's with the bolt pattern that C20's run. anyways that is all i can think of right now. if anyone has some links to some suspension kits that would be great. like i said though im not 100% set on air ride but if i can get a complete bolt on kit and nothing that needs welding then that is what i am looking for. thanks

Mike
Old 10-26-2007, 08:51 AM   #5
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

There is tons of information on the Suspension portion of the board, with plenty of trial and error, and success stories. So be sure to refer to that section.

Also....

contact ECE for static drop information (springs/spindles)

contact Air Ride for air suspension questions

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)

Last edited by 72BlckButy; 10-26-2007 at 08:51 AM.
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:11 PM   #6
liquiddragon

ok so i spent over an hour trying to search the suspension section but since i am currently underway and in the middle of the pacific ocean somewhere with an internet connection that is slower than dial up it takes forever to load pages and makes it impossable for me surf pages like i can when i am at home. i never made it past the first page and only had a chance to look under three different posts that didnt help me out at all. im just looking for complete suspension package either air-ride of something that will lower the truck down and still allow me to run 18-20" rims our back and 17-18" rims in front. once i get home and have a decent internet connection i will be able to surf the internet and look at piecing a package together if the complete packages are out of my price range. i plan on driving the truck on days that i cant ride my motorcycle so i plan on putting some miles on this truck.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:58 PM   #7
CHRIS67GMC

When you decide what truck you want so I know what rear suspension you will have. I can help you get what you need. Im a Air ride dealer if thats the route you want to go. You can call or e-mail me http://smittyscustomauto.com
CHRIS67GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 10:58 PM   #8
liquiddragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS67GMC View Post
When you decide what truck you want so I know what rear suspension you will have. I can help you get what you need. Im a Air ride dealer if thats the route you want to go. You can call or e-mail me http://smittyscustomauto.com
the truck that i am looking at right now that i would put the air bag suspension on is a 1970 GMC C20 3/4 Big Block 402 2wd. oh yah and for anyone watching the world series game right now that was my ET1 that sent the e-mail about the USCGC Boutwell in the middle of the Pacific

Old 10-26-2007, 11:47 PM   #9
wibilly

not trying to tell you what to do but concidering the mods you have in mindyou might be money ahead going with a c10 or if your heart is set on that truck, which i can see since it is a bb truck would be to get another 1/2 ton coil sprung chasies and swaping the body and drive train
Old 10-27-2007, 12:12 AM   #10
streetstar

swapping the 3/4 ton springs, axles, and calipers for 1/2 ton stuff is the only way to run big custom wheels like that unless you use some of the ones made for 3/4 tons that are out now--- of course, the bags will replace the front springs if you go that route.

A big block 3/4 ton sounds like a cool ride -- why not fix it as is with some heavy duty late model wheels on it or something? It would be a perfect tow rig for your bagged and TT-2'ed show truck someday

Last edited by streetstar; 10-27-2007 at 12:13 AM.
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 02:40 AM   #11
liquiddragon

i never thought of using the truck as a tow vehicle but that does sound like a good idea. i would use it to tow my vette that is sitting ona a set of 17" TTII's. you can see that project under my signature by clicking on the photobucket link. i am actually buying the truck to have a vehicle to drive on the days that i cant ride my Ninja which is also in my photobucket. i would prefer to throw a set of TTII's on the truck but if taht isnt possable then im sure i can find something else out there that will fit. my biggest concern is finding an air ride setup or another kit for the truck that will drop the truck about 4-6" in the back and 2-5" in the front. i know if i go the spring route then i can expect a rougher ride but that is fine with me but if i can get an air ride setup and help keep the ride quality then that is a plus. the air bag suspension also makes it easier when it comes time to put my motorcycle in the back of the truck. right now i have two motorcycles and on the bad weather days i would use the wifes car to go to work in but she is pregnent again and sue in february so she told me to look for a truck and to keep it under $10,000. the C20 that i found is close to $5k so i figured that i have around $5k more to spend on the suspension and new rims and tires. i tried to find a C10 that i could get for around $5k and do this but all the ones that i have found are a little expensive and need to much work and i already have one project car and dont need another. i need something that i can drive and not spend all my extra time working on and that will keep me from working on my vette.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:32 AM   #12
streetstar

You could do a flip kit on the back with a C-notch, and run shorter springs in the front --- plenty of 8-lug wheels out there too judging by the number of Chev 2500 and F-250's i have seen running around on 20's.

Everything costs a lot around Marin doesnt it. I lived in Pleasonton for awhile, so i feel your pain.

nice vette, btw
streetstar is offline   Reply With Quote