The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-04-2007, 09:38 PM   #1
gottwake

Frame issues...Pleeze help

I have a 71 4x4 blazer but wish to convert to a 2wd. Can I use a 67-72 shortbed 2wd frame for this body ???
gottwake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 09:39 PM   #2
1969k10stepside

Re: Frame issues...Pleeze help

You can but...the frame on a truck is longer,and you will need to make body mounts (or swap them from frame to frame)
1969k10stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 09:49 PM   #3
gottwake

Body mounts should be easy. Does longer mean that the frame will have to be cut? Will everything line up like steering etc... (except body mounts)? It wont extend past the bed will it?
Old 11-04-2007, 10:03 PM   #4
hotrodhomi

First of all WELCOME to the board. Check put this thread. There are many people on this board who have converted. Ask away.
hotrodhomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 10:36 PM   #5
crzngmychvy
"1972 C5"

Welcome from socal!
Old 11-05-2007, 12:27 AM   #6
vintagechevy76

I am in the process of doing the same thing except i am using the 4 wheel drive frame and gutting a long box parts truck for the trailing arm suspension. In further inspecting I think i am going to need a few of the x-members off of the truck to make it fit as well as some brackets etc. The entire cross member under the motor with all the a arms and disc brakes etc.. will just unbolt and bolt under my blazer frame. Maybe another way to go.
vintagechevy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 11:43 AM   #7
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottwake View Post
Body mounts should be easy. Does longer mean that the frame will have to be cut? Will everything line up like steering etc... (except body mounts)? It wont extend past the bed will it?
The frame will need to be sectioned under the 'cab' because of the difference in wheelbase. Once this is done it will not stick out anywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagechevy76 View Post
I am in the process of doing the same thing except i am using the 4 wheel drive frame and gutting a long box parts truck for the trailing arm suspension. In further inspecting I think i am going to need a few of the x-members off of the truck to make it fit as well as some brackets etc. The entire cross member under the motor with all the a arms and disc brakes etc.. will just unbolt and bolt under my blazer frame. Maybe another way to go.
This is the easy way in my opinion- it's how I did mine- but you will need to fab upper spring mounts out back. Everything else will bolt on.

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 12:12 PM   #8
gottwake

Thanks for the welcome...good to be here. Theres no place like So. Cal (when there are no fires, earthquakes, riots, etc...) Cant believe how much information is on this site.
Gringo,
I dont have a problem with sectioning the frame under the cab. You say you did this already? How much was cut out? And after the sectioning, the body bolted right up?? This seems so easy.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:53 PM   #9
Rokcrln

No Gringo did the 2wd front suspention on his 4x4 frame. This is the best way to go and the easiest as well. Also one advantage to teh 4x4 frame being used for a 2wd is the front frame is higher at the motor were the suspension bolts up to. So it will sit lower than a 2wd frame with the same suspension set up. Just order a DropMember and you will be done! If you use your 4x4 frame you won't even need to remove the body to do all this.

Also just for info, once you section a SWB frame it will stil not bolt up untill you change all the rear body mounts from your blazer frame over to the sectioned frame.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Last edited by Rokcrln; 11-05-2007 at 08:54 PM.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 11:02 PM   #10
vintagechevy76

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringoloco View Post
The frame will need to be sectioned under the 'cab' because of the difference in wheelbase. Once this is done it will not stick out anywhere.

This is the easy way in my opinion- it's how I did mine- but you will need to fab upper spring mounts out back. Everything else will bolt on.
I am just going to cut the rivets off and use the existing mounts from the truck and rerivet or bolt and weld them on to the blazer. I think it will work.
vintagechevy76 is offline   Reply With Quote