The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-08-2007, 12:55 AM   #1
xtreme80
Wishin' I had more money!

Transmission shift points...

I'm not too familiar with transmissions at all, so bear with me on this one.

After installing my tach, I'm finding out that my engine is shifting at WOT at 4200 rpm, which is about normal for a stock engine. Well I've got a crate that states it will make it's peak power at 5200 RPM. While I don't want the engine running that high, I'd like to bump it to where it would shift around 4800 or so instead of 41-42.

From what I remember this can be accomplished by making an adjustment on the transmission right? But what kind of adjustment? When I adjust the kickdown cable with more slack, it will shift sooner, but I've got it adjusted back as far as the bracket will allow. Without buying a different bracket, does anything have any suggestions on how I can get the engine to run a little higher up?

Thanks!
xtreme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:18 AM   #2
454HO

Re: Transmission shift points...

To change the shift points, you need to change the weights/springs on the governor. There is a kit you can get from B&M or TCI that has the parts to do this. It's a similar process to changing the centrifugal advance curve on a distributer.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:49 AM   #3
Thumpin455
My truck is an alcoholic

You can also manually shift a Th350, if you have the selector in Low 1, it will stay in 1st gear. Put it in 2 and it will shift from first to second only.

I use the B&M kit to make adjustments on Th350/400 transmissions. The weights change the 1-2 and the springs change the 2-3 shift. getting the 2-3 where you want it is the toughest part of it. It takes some trail and error to get it where you want it, because the variables like vehicle weight, gear ratio, stall speed, etc all affect when it shifts.

its a simple matter of pulling the governor cover, thats the big round one near the tailshaft housing and speedo gear, pulling the governor out, cutting the pins that hold the stock weights in, and installing the new pins, weights and springs. The springs can be a pain to get back in, so take your time and be patient. The instructions are easy to understand, well they were for me anyway. I am kinda stupid.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:26 PM   #4
xtreme80
Wishin' I had more money!

Thanks guys that's exactly the information I needed to know!
xtreme80 is offline   Reply With Quote