The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-31-2007, 12:44 PM   #1
Hooker
aka TEX-TOY

71 turn signals

I just got a 71 Chevy with some jimmied up wiring... i mean really bad... PO made his own fuse block out of some circuit board, fuses and screws... what a mess..... He also put some type of steering column out of a GMC... probably 80s...

Well heres my problem... i do not have the money to get a new harness yet so i have been trying to solder and crimp the twisted wiring connections back together..... Finally got the brake lights to work and now i need turn signals..... I am going to be getting a new harness in the spring but i need turn signals now.....

I am trying to rig up a 3 way toggle switch so that the center the TS are off.. swith it left the left one comes on ...ETC... you get the idea.... can some on tell me how to run all new wiring... i mean i want to run a wire from the battery just for the TS and then through the switch and flashers... PLEASE HELP... A Diagram would do me wonders....

THANKS

BRAND NEW WIFE BOUGHT IT FOR ME AS A WEDDING GIFT!!! SHE IS THE BOMB!!!!!!
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 01:38 PM   #2
DavesRide

Re: 71 turn signals

The problem that I can see is that the bulb for brake/turm and taillights only has two elements. If you hook up a toggle you will need to get a switch with four circut paths that alternate. It would be easier finding the diragrams for the column and use the existing turn signal switch. When the T/S is on lets say the right side while braking needing the turn circut is closed and the brake light is open provided by the switch and the same for the left. In other words, when the signal is on the brake light is off for that side. That's what I meant about alternating. Go to the library and like I do even though I know the dewey decimal I just ask the librarian to point me in that direction. Find the manual for that year and get the wiring colors of that column. GM did not vary much at all in that circut for many years. Find the one for the power going into the column for the brakes and ts. find the ones for the ts and brake outs , SAME WIRE.
The flow chart should go like this. Battery to fuse, fuse to flasher, flasher to switch, switch to lights on the T/S circut and same on brake lights except without the flasher. Find the 4 wires and splice away. Sorry no picture.
Don't worry you won't have to check the book out because they won't let you. They will let you make a photocopy of a page or two though.

Last edited by DavesRide; 12-31-2007 at 01:46 PM.
DavesRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 04:51 PM   #3
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: 71 turn signals

Go to the electrical forum and find the sticky that says wiring diagram finished. Its at the top of the first thread in the sticky section. Scroll down to post 19 and the wiring diagrams you need are there.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote