The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2008, 09:29 AM   #1
franko72
Franko72

questions for the experts selling these trucks

I have been debating on weather to do a few things with my truck to help it sell better. Thinking about replacing the step bumper with a chrome repro,
installing a reproduction seatcover, I am looking at around $400.00 bucks to do these things. I have my truck listed for sale on this website and craigslist.com in Cincinnati. I have recieved a few calls with people wanting to trade cars that are not what I want to trade. Do you think that $4,000 is too much to ask for this truck? If I choose to do the rear bumper and seat cover can I really recover the extra cost by asking for more cash? I know that some of you wheel and deal many trucks like these back and forth.If it doesnt sell, I am thinking about a little body work and paint. I dont want to go too far with things and not be able to recoop the investment.It would be great if someone would call and want to do an equal trade to a 2 door car of equal value late 60's to 72.Any ideas to help it sell would be helpful. Here are some additional pics and you can click on my home page for older pics also.
Attached Images

1972 C20 cheyenne Super 402 BB/400 turbo LWB A/C Tilt, Cruise Control, Saddle tanks, Tach
My Home Page
Better to burn out than it is to rust
franko72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:14 AM   #2
BADSAM
J'ville Junkman

Re: questions for the experts selling these trucks

I've only been watching prices for a couple of years now. The problem seems to be that there are a ton of these trucks out there and they are cheap. If you look at craigslist or watch ebay there will be running trucks from $700 to $2500. Some look pretty darn good for $1500. All these trucks need more extensive rust repair and restoration than your truck (probably), but they're CHEAP and people want good deals. So my guess is your truck is prob worth more, but you are going to have to wait for someone who sees that value. Most of the guys I know buy cheap (versus smart) and spend years and a sack full of money fixing stuff up.

My suggestion is to save that $400 and spend a little on advertising instead and be patient. List it in Hemmings and highlight the rust free or little rust aspect as well as the originality. If you can get production numbers that would help as well. Other sites are ebay and traderonline. Don't expect much out of ebay though.

Good luck.
57 Chevy 210 Wagon - 9 Passenger (Wife's project-working on floorpans)
73 Corvette (17 yr old daughter's: Another project - what's wrong with me?)
53 Willys M38
BADSAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 07:15 PM   #3
special-K
Special Order

Re: questions for the experts selling these trucks

I wouldn`t do those things to it.I think in Ohio that truck is well worth $4,000.But,it`s getting someone who wants a truck that knows that to sell it.I`d sooner knock it down to $3,600 than put $400 in it.If that was all it needed to be perfect,that would be different story.The bumper is a definate "leave it alone".Anyone that expects a truck to have everything just the way they want it had better be ready to spend more than $4,000.Anyone that thinks that $4,000 is all they`ll be spending had better look at buying something besides a 35 year old vehicle.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote