The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2003, 04:26 PM   #1
72step

DEMON CARBs

I am planning on replacing my current 750 Carter AFB, and am wondering if anyone in here has any experience with the BG DEMON. Is it worth the extra cash?? I know both Holley and Edelbrock have good track records, but do have problems. Are DEMONS a world better? Enough to fork out the extra bucks? I appreciate any and all advice. Thanks.............
72step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 05:08 PM   #2
Orence1

When I was looking for a carb for my BB last year I was thinking seriously about a Demon. Called a shop in Seattle that is the authority (Jim Green Performance) and he dissuaded me. His rationale was that Demons are really a race built carb and would not be as good for a street application as a Holley Avenger. I am into cruising so did not buy the demon. Actually went with a specially built Holley 750. Good luck.
Larry
Orence1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 07:45 PM   #3
72step

Wow, the only other Demon experience I've heard is a mechanic I know, he has a road demon on a mildly built 350 on an old rod, and he says it's the best carb he's ever had. Hmmm, I'm suprised so little people in here have messed with a demon. I once had a dp holley, and it always ran rich, and I have a feeling the edelbrock is much like my polished aluminum Carter AFB. I might just chance it with a Demon, as the Holley isn't exactly cheap. Anyone Else??? Thanks
Old 01-15-2003, 08:34 PM   #4
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

I have run an Edelbrock 1405, and currently run an Edelbrock 1901. The 1405 is like the old AFB, and it ran rich. I ran onto a good price for a new 1901 (Q-Jet). I like it much better. Doesn't run rich, gets decent mileage, starts NOW, etc. I don't know anything about the Demon, but have read several articles in the mags about them. I don't recall specific issue, but will see if I can find one of them.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 09:31 PM   #5
Hooter
My other Love

I just bought an AFB for the Monte. I wanted to get a Demon till I looked at the price $ 800 bucks!!, couldn't believe the price, I dont think it would be worthe the extra money in my opinion.

Castlegar B.C.The great white North (Canada Eh!)
Hooter_5@hotmail.com
First generation Monte Carlo club
pictures of my life
Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 10:21 PM   #6
Suicide-D

Location: Katy, TX...but the love of my life resides in Dublin,OH.
I was going to put a 750 speed demon on my truck. It was back ordered So i spent the money on my AC cab instead. I eventually went with a holley 750... it was dirt cheap 250.00 bucks compared to the 450.00 I was prepared to spend on the demon. I bought the holley at Autozone... jegs has it for the same price. I have been pleased with the Holley... light years better than that Edelbrock it replaced.
Suicide-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 10:28 PM   #7
mikep
Used to have a truck

The race demons might not be well suited to street driving but the street demons certainly are. I ran one on a 430HP 351 Cleveland and it was one of the best carbs I have ever run. Fit and finish were light years ahead of Holleys and it required no special tuning. The sight glasses make fuel setting especially easy. I would certainly reccomend them . For around $400 theyre a great carb . I cant believe they reccomended a street avenger of the Demon. That just sounds like you talked to someone who didnt know what he was talking about.
Old 01-15-2003, 11:33 PM   #8
72step

Thanks, that sounds more like what my mechanic buddy told me about his road demon. If I do buy one I am looking at the 650cfm speed demon. It sounds just right for my application. Thanks