The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-25-2008, 10:59 AM   #1
Slammed70

Cant get a title for a truck.....

So Im walking around this salvage yard, and I come across this cool mid 80s stepside. Slammed, moons, whitewalls, its cool. Dude only wanted $800 for it! It ran and drove. Im like, whats the deal you know.

He then went on to tell me about how he dont have a title, Im told him I can just apply for a lost title or even throw a salvage title on it if I have to.

Where he then told me that he tried that 5 years ago when he first got the truck, and its not registered in the state. Which means that it cant be titled for Kansas.

I says..."Cant I just go through an inspection then?"

He says "No"

Anywho....to make a LONG story relatively short, he and I argued about it for almost a full three minutes before I outraged and left.

So my question is.....is he right? Can I not title that truck ever?
Old 01-25-2008, 11:13 AM   #2
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

Re: Cant get a title for a truck.....

sounds like a call to the KHP is in order. I have the name of a high ranking inspector out of the Olathe inspection office. He knows his stuff.

PM me if you need it!!

Good luck.

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson
tcb-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 11:16 AM   #3
1966gmc
Why does it taste purple?

Thats retarded if you cannot get a title to a vehicle just because it was never registered in that state.
1966gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 11:19 AM   #4
HavinSomeFun
Still Just Havin Some Fun!

you can get a title in this state with a bill of sale on older cars and trucks.... Is it worth a drive to Arkansas?
Old 01-25-2008, 11:21 AM   #5
haysonj

don't even think about bringing into California. I ended up buying a parts truck just for the title
Old 01-25-2008, 11:33 AM   #6
afoshie

I bought mine in alabama. they didnt have titles for the truck since it was so old. I live in tennessee. to title the truck had to have the registration from the previos owner and a letter signed or bill of sale and then have it notorized. then you can get a title.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:02 PM   #7
teeitup
Just like to part out trucks!!

In Kansas you can get a title with just a bill of sale if its 30 years or older but it does have to be registered in Ks previously. As far as this truck your talking about its almost impossible to get one if its out of state, in Kansas.
1958 Cameo (one of 1405 built, it was my dads)
2020 chevy Apex 4x4 crew cab
1969 Z28 with the 302
1980 chevy swb 4x4
1964 chevell Malibu SS
1976 K20, sold new originally out of my dads chevy dealership

Members that I've met, over 200 probably closer to 300 in the 12 years I've been on this site, everyone I met "It was a pleasure"
teeitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:04 PM   #8
C. M. Wolf

I don't know about KS, but I don't see why you can't pull a vehicle from salvge and apply for title. I've done it a few times, in CA too not too big a problem.

I do understand that many insurance co's will keep the title when a vehicle is sent to the reckers. But DMV usually has records of them if they're not too old. Generally, the insurance co's are the hard case when it comes to reclaiming a vehicle from salvage. But if it's sound and street worthy, they'll give it the go.

People throw the darnest things away.... "Eeeewwww! The ashtrays are dirty! Time for a new truck!"

Michael
C. M. Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:25 PM   #9
Bus Ted Knuckle
Son of a gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavinSomeFun View Post
you can get a title in this state with a bill of sale on older cars and trucks....
I'd like to hear some more about that! I have gotten court ordered titles, mechanics lean titles, and filed for lost titles, but in our wonderful AR I've never been able to walk up with a bill of sale and get a title.

Slammed, you need to talk to your state's DMV, they will tell you what you need to hear.

BEATERS ARE NEATER
Bus Ted Knuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:26 PM   #10
sacustomcycle

I have a question along the same lines as this... If I buy a cab from a salvage and it doesn't have a title can I take the vin tag off my old titled cab and put it on the cab from the salvage. Is this legal? I'm in Texas.
sacustomcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:45 PM   #11
teeitup
Just like to part out trucks!!

KANSAS ONLY. OK my mom works at the state in the title department. If its out of state where it was last tagged, and you do not have a title, you cannot get a title in Ks.
In Kansas if you have a bill of sale, no title and the truck is 30 years or older and was last registered in Ks, you have to get it inspected, vin, title and frame numbers matching, then you can go you can go get a Antique title in your name no questions. $10 for inspection and then you have to pay sales tax on truck when you get antique title
1958 Cameo (one of 1405 built, it was my dads)
2020 chevy Apex 4x4 crew cab
1969 Z28 with the 302
1980 chevy swb 4x4
1964 chevell Malibu SS
1976 K20, sold new originally out of my dads chevy dealership

Members that I've met, over 200 probably closer to 300 in the 12 years I've been on this site, everyone I met "It was a pleasure"
teeitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:55 PM   #12
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

Swapping VINs is frowned upon everywhere. In Texas you need to talk to the DMV before doing anything. The most likely thing is that you clear it with the DMV, swap cabs, and they rivet a VIN on the new cab with the old cab VIN (or a state issued VIN). At least I think so...

Back to the original post, getting a title is very dependent on the state, whether the vehicle is from that state, etc.

In either case, search the state's DMV and/or tax assessor web sites for info, and talk to the relavent state government people. Always remember that because this is the government and something that doesn't happen that often, you may get incorrect info. Just because one employee says you can/can't do something doesn't mean its possible/impossible.

There are rules/laws, etc., but the people interpreting them hava varying experience and skill levels.

Figuring this out is rarely easy, and there are no answers that work everywhere because there are 50 state governments (so 50 sets of rules/laws). This isn't a federal issue...
72lb4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 01:01 PM   #13
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

To illustrate the differences from Tee's description (KS vs TX), if the vehicle was registered/titled in Texas, and you have a:

bill of sale (or maybe not),
get 3 estimates of value,
no liens outstanding,
get a bond for double the estimates (about $100/$1000 of value),
provide tracings of the VIN tag,
and nobody claims the vehicle within I think 3 years,
you get a clean title.

Of course there are also hours of searching on the internet for forms, and info, travel to the DMV (title search) and tax assessor's office (issue the title).

In the 3 year period you have a bonded title and the vehicle can be licensed, driven, sold or whatever.

But it works for field cars/trucks...

Last edited by 72lb4x4; 01-25-2008 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:03 PM   #14
aventur1

Here maybe this will help.
Good Luck
http://www.classicartitle.com/
aventur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 01:25 PM   #15
AuggieStyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72lb4x4 View Post
To illustrate the differences from Tee's description (KS vs TX), if the vehicle was registered/titled in Texas, and you have a:

bill of sale (or maybe not),
get 3 estimates of value,
no liens outstanding,
get a bond for double the estimates (about $100/$1000 of value),
provide tracings of the VIN tag,
and nobody claims the vehicle within I think 3 years,
you get a clean title.

Of course there are also hours of searching on the internet for forms, and info, travel to the DMV (title search) and tax assessor's office (issue the title).

In the 3 year period you have a bonded title and the vehicle can be licensed, driven, sold or whatever.

But it works for field cars/trucks...
yeah maybe not on the bill of sale when i moved into my house in the shed were two motorcycles, and the po of the house said they were there when he moved in but they looked so cool he did not do anything about them.
i thought that sounded fishy so i ran the tags and they were not stolen, so i filed for a title. i went through the steps you stated and voila.... titles. but they were registered in texas. not out of state. sorry to go off topic......but
AuggieStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 01:42 PM   #16
72lb4x4
Account Suspended

I guess we drifted away (off topic) from KS, but my point was more to show how different states can be.

I did the same for my Chevelle. It took 4-5 hours internet searching and driving around. Not too bad just waiting now for the time to expire...
Old 01-25-2008, 08:50 PM   #17
jott_06
Camaro Club

If it was me and i really wanted that truck but couldnt get a title i would buy it and find a cab with clean title and just swap cabs. Thats just me though.
jott_06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 09:10 PM   #18
mike nutt
69fatmotor

you might give these guys a try . http://www.broadwaytitle.com/
mike nutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 09:50 PM   #19
Slammed70

So....all I have to do is wait another 15 years or so for this truck to become and antique?
Old 01-25-2008, 11:53 PM   #20
jay6891
Car Knocker

Here is my experience in buying a car without a title. I was in Texas and bought a 1980 Camaro no title. Dude I bought it from gave me a number to call and they would get me a title for 40 dollars. Said cool and bought it. Called the DMV in Panhandle Tx. They said why pay 40 dollars for a title search when we do it for free. Again cool. They were not happy about the sale of a car without a title though. Had to give them a tracing of the vin # and they sold me a 30 day temp tag. Think I waited for 6 months and bought a temp tag every 30 days but they came up with a title and it was from Utah. No wonder the car had the a/c delete on it. Had the pull vents like on our trucks. Anyways I think that if you really wanted the truck I would get ahold of the Kansas DMV and check it out.
68 c-10,91 sportside bed,350 .030 over,4 bolt,10-1 comp,2.05 intake/1.94 exhaust,1.6 Harland Sharp roller rockers,edelbrock rpm cam and intake w/750 carb, 700r4, 3.73 gears,Jacabbs Electronic Igntion w/Accel HEI distributer and super coil. ZR-1 roll pan, filled tailights. Blazer tank. Hidden hitch. 2 1/2" Flowmaster 40's. Parts bought but not installed>> ford 9" posi with disc. CCP front and rear lowering kit 4/5. Cab corners,foor boards,rockers, cab braces, Phatom grill, Painless wiring kit.
jay6891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 11:53 PM   #21
Putter
More Cowbell....

Look, just buy the truck. Then send me the information on it....VIN, etc...
I will make a bill of sale from YOU TO ME, apply for a tag & new title. Then when it comes in, I will mail it to you with a bill of sale from me to you. Done deal. I know folks at the Dept of Public Safety who can assist.