The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-26-2008, 12:36 PM   #1
wild one
Registered.........

Re: Birthday Present Time

Regarding the panhard rod you have a couple of options, I have seen an adjustable one for as little as $65.00 new OR if you or any one you know has access to a chopsaw, lathe, 24" to 30" length of 5/8" I.D. 1/8" wall DOM tube (cheap, scrap piece cost me $2.50 at my local metal shop - found it in the scrap bin), two 5/8" nuts to match the thread pitch of your tap and die (I used fine thread stuff) and a 5/8" tap and die you can do what I recently did to make my factory one adjustable.

After measuring the overall length of the panhard rod to use as a reference, cut the panhard rod in two at the middle of the bar, then chuck each half (one piece at a time of course) into the lathe and turn the outside diameter down from 11/16" to 5/8". You then cut of the excess leaving about 6" of rod from the end of the eyelet and use your die with oil to cut 5/8" threads into the original rod ends. Then use your tap to tap threads into the 5/8" I.D. tube running the tap in as far as you can. Once completed, install the nuts onto the factory rod ends then thread the rod ends into the tube.

I spent about 1 1/2 hours on mine and a total of $14.00 for the tube, nuts, and a cheap tap and die from my local Harbor Freight.

Nothing is fool proof to a talented fool!

Popcorn:
Pops at exactly 444 degreese
Expands to 44 times it's original size
Has a 4 year shelf life

Last edited by wild one; 02-26-2008 at 12:37 PM.
wild one is offline   Reply With Quote