The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-03-2008, 09:02 AM   #1
rallysportchic97

Smile Noobie!

Hey guys, Im new to this site but I've been watchin it for a while. I have a 77 C10 that Im trying to make a daily driver but it needs some work. Im the kind of person who is real passionate about cars and attends all the local shows cause I cant get enough, but I don't know crap about engines! I can name parts and what they do but cant put 'em together.
With that said, I've been reading alot of threads on this forum and I've learned alot. And since I am in the middle of a slow rebuild, I will have TONS of questions for you guys!
Anyways, this is a LWB with all the normal rust and dents and even the infamous crease in the hood. It has a poorly rebuilt 5.0 305 that threw a rod or something.
I plan to buy my 2nd engine for Ol' Blue sometime within the next 2 weeks so I'll probably ask you all for some advice.......take a look at the pics and let me know what you think of her.
Attached Images

rallysportchic97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:28 AM   #2
bowtieguy79
Ephesians 2:8

Re: Noobie!

THat is a SOLID old truck. Has a TON of potential. I have a Blue 79, so Im partial

Ever think about EFI and an updated over drive tranny????

If you can do an engine swap, you can handle doing an LSX swap. Just takes money
bowtieguy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:35 AM   #3
rallysportchic97

Actually, yeah I have thought about an EFI engine. As a matter of fact I just found one locally for about $350.Its a rebuilt motor thats been sitting for a year and a half still new. I thought about taking a look at it, but isn't it alot of work to hook up an EFI engine? Sensor, wiring harness, etc.....
Old 03-03-2008, 09:48 AM   #4
bowtieguy79
Ephesians 2:8

What vintage EFI are you looking at for $350? If its a Gen III, that would be good!

To tell you the truth, EFI isn't that bad to do. Just make sure if you get one to get the complete engine, harness, computer, OBD II port from under the dash.

There are so many vendors out there that have stand alone harness' or will even rework a used harness, it insane.

I did my 5.3/4L60E swap in a little over 6 months, and I took my time.
bowtieguy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:58 AM   #5
rallysportchic97

I have no clue if its Gen III but apparently someone in his shop ordered the wrong engine and its been sitting ever since. He showed me pics and its all dusty from just sitting there. I was thinking about checking it out but dont know.
Wow, 6 mos. is a long time! I dont have that kind of time anymore and need something that can drop and go.
I found one that I REALLY REALLY want thats a 350 bored 30 over, flat top pistons, performance cam, edlebrock intake, edlebrock 650 cfm carb, and tons more. The guy says it has roughly 400hp. As soon as he gets back into town Im gonna check it out.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:13 PM   #6
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

welcome to the site! thats a nice start on a project and waay better than the 76 i started with a few years ago. What are the rest of the plans for your project?
that truck would look extra cool with rallyes and a fresh coat of paint

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 08:42 PM   #7
moneyeater

Welcome from good ol´Germany!
Nice to see a girl on here who´s doing her own truck!
That´s a cool truck to start.It´ll be the best daily transportation i can imagine!(except maybe an mid 60´s caddy convertible!)

´81 GMC C 10, Spanish Red
moneyeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:46 PM   #8
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Nice wheels. I'm glad there is finally a young lady in here willing to "take the plunge" as it were and get her hands dirty fixing her own ride. Welcome aboard. I spent 33 years working for GM on light duty trucks. If I can help just let me know. You can e-mail me at jmcclur2@nycap.rr.com. I'll do what I can and if I don't know the answer, I'll tell ya. Have a great day, jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:49 PM   #9
rallysportchic97

Thanks for the nice words "old rusty c 10" and "moneyeater." My plans keep changing but as soon as I get her up and running strong again Im gonna install the Limited Edition grille from LMC. I also plan to lower it and eventually do air ride. As far as paint goes part of me wants to do a 2 tone job, the other part of me wants flat black with some candy red tribal. Theres so many different ways I can go with this truck! Heres my wishlist (not in any order):

*drop spindles (not sure which way I wanna go yet)
*LMC grille
*new paint
*new rims (not sure which look im going for)
*loud a$$ exhaust
*headlight conversion kit
*bucket seat install
*Dakota Digital gauges
*ragtop sunroof (maybe)
*some serious sounds 10's or 12's
*shave the body including tail lights
*roll pan
*cowl hood

And who knows what else I'll think of.

Ol' Blue

A girl and her truck, ain't it beautiful!
Old 03-03-2008, 09:51 PM   #10
f.monroe

Welcome to the board from your state of Texas . I like the truck and think It has lots of potential . That could be because I own the same truck I am looking to rebuild and enjoy . Here is a pic of mine . Its almost like they are twins . Frank
Old 03-03-2008, 10:42 PM   #11
moneyeater

Your wishlist is great and sounds like you´re a real sport truck "guy"!
Keep on truckin´and keep us informed on your progress!
By the way- we all like pitures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallysportchic97 View Post
Thanks for the nice words "old rusty c 10" and "moneyeater." My plans keep changing but as soon as I get her up and running strong again Im gonna install the Limited Edition grille from LMC. I also plan to lower it and eventually do air ride. As far as paint goes part of me wants to do a 2 tone job, the other part of me wants flat black with some candy red tribal. Theres so many different ways I can go with this truck! Heres my wishlist (not in any order):

*drop spindles (not sure which way I wanna go yet)
*LMC grille
*new paint
*new rims (not sure which look im going for)
*loud a$$ exhaust
*headlight conversion kit
*bucket seat install
*Dakota Digital gauges
*ragtop sunroof (maybe)
*some serious sounds 10's or 12's
*shave the body including tail lights
*roll pan
*cowl hood

And who knows what else I'll think of.

´81 GMC C 10, Spanish Red
moneyeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:57 AM   #12
rallysportchic97

Talking Re: Noobie!

Thanks Jim, I've got your email now. You guys are awesome, thanks for makin me feel at home. I'm super excited, this is my first truck and my first build so get ready for a lot of questions!

Ol' Blue

A girl and her truck, ain't it beautiful!
Old 03-04-2008, 04:05 AM   #13
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

there is a member on here who has the flat black with the red tribal designs ( though being senile i forget who) and that is a real cool color scheme too.... You sound like youve got a good idea with the basics of what you want to do and that is half the battle
good luck with the project and please keep us updated with progress and pics , and we are always glad to answer any questions. there is a real wealth of knowledge here and you wont find another like it anywhere on the net
there is a cool book too i posted about a couple of weeks ago should you want to read up on the original equipment on these trucks
Anyway look forward to hearing more about the truck

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:19 PM   #14
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Newbie: Morning. The best advice I can give right now is that you take one item on your list at a time and work it till it's done and then move to the next item. Another thing of great value is the origional GM shop manual. The aftermarket manuals are pretty good but don't go into the details as well as the factory manuals do. GMC & Chevy will be the same with the exception of the body section. I swiped mine from a Chevy dealer I worked for a long time ago. If you can find one, grab it. Many dealers throw them out after 10 or 15 years so you might get lucky. I am a "box stock" kind if guy. I like to see a truck in it's origional configuration without alot of mod's, but thats just me. The best tool you have at your disposal is between your ears. Read the manual, plan the job, read again and then follow the plan. Obviously, some jobs will have "overlaps" you'll have to deal with. Just think first and you'll be fine. If you can't find an answer to an issue, ASK. There is no such thing as a dumb question, but there is such a thing as a dumb action, so don't go off half cocked. If it came thru, thas a pic of mine. Don't mind the wheels, I got new ones. I have 50 some odd pics of rust bucket to new truck I can send you as you progress thru your project. Just drop me an e-mail and tell me what you would like to or need to see. Have a great day, jim
Attached Images

1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote