The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-04-2008, 07:45 AM   #1
project1968

Vent window rivits help

I got new window rubbers for my truck including the vent windows which came with rivits and a tool, but I dont have a clue how they work. I am usually pretty good about figuring things like this out, but Im stumpped. How do they work? or is there another option. Thanks for any help.
project1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:03 AM   #2
Sammy

Re: Vent window rivits help

I have done a few of these. They are really a pain to do. talking about the vent window rubbers. I tryed to drill out the fewest rivets as possible yet still after reinstalling the new rubbers getting a good solid surface to spread the new rivets through the new rubbers. Best way is on a vice with your tool. Don't forget to keep the opening of the window on the correct side of the divider. This really takes alot of patience it wasn't a 30 min job for me. not even after the 3 rd set per wing. Then I found out two of the wings are almost too tight to close. If your window wing rubber isn't in too bad of shape you might consider not changing the rubber.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:58 PM   #3
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by project1968 View Post
I got new window rubbers for my truck including the vent windows which came with rivits and a tool, but I dont have a clue how they work. I am usually pretty good about figuring things like this out, but Im stumpped. How do they work? or is there another option. Thanks for any help.
Hey Project1968,

I used this thread to help me out....it was very helpful!!!...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=153937

Also, I attempted to do both of mine this weekend....it's my first time, so it took me like 2-3 hours for one of them!!!....be sure to get someone to help hold things for you...make sure you drill out the recommended rivets as detailed in the thread, also get some silicone spray to help install the "v" seal...for the flat seal, I had to drill out the holes for the rivets (mine did not go all the way through the seal, but did attach okay)...be patient, patient, patient....is the best advice I can give!!!

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 08:44 PM   #4
Ole Blue 68

I gave up on that damn tool (might as well use a couple of rocks) and bought a pop rivet gun and some rivets from Autozone. I still had to punch them a little to get it tight but it sure beat doing the whole thing with that rivet tool.
Ole Blue 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:13 AM   #5
project1968

Hey Ole Blue,
Did the regular pop rivits work? It seems like they would not fit flush enough to let other things fit like they should.
project1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:21 PM   #6
'67Nate

I tried using regular rivits on mine and couldn't make it work. After several hours of yelling at both the blind rivits and regular, I walked into the house and ordered the one piece window kit. Four days later my new one piece windows were in in 3 hours...
Old 03-05-2008, 08:30 PM   #7
Ole Blue 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by '67Nate View Post
I tried using regular rivits on mine and couldn't make it work. After several hours of yelling at both the blind rivits and regular, I walked into the house and ordered the one piece window kit. Four days later my new one piece windows were in in 3 hours...
Nate's got the right idea...

I did mine 2 years ago so my memory was a little hazy. After giving it some more thought, here's some more detail. I originally bought the rivet gun/rivets at Autozone but the rivets were too long. I then found some shorter ones at Home Depot. I was able to get those started pretty well with the rivet gun and then pounded the crap out of them using that rivet "tool" so they were tight enough to work. It wasn't pretty when it was finished but it did the job.

Oh, and I just remembered. I think I may have had to widen out the holes on the vent assembly and the rubber just a hair since the shorter rivets might be little wider. No big deal, just zip it with a drill.

Last edited by Ole Blue 68; 03-05-2008 at 09:26 PM.
Ole Blue 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:38 PM   #8
Premium72

this is the hardest thing to do on theses..hahah. you need a flat surface to place the smooth part of the rivit. the tool goes on the "tube" part of the rivit, you then take a hammer an hammer the tool down into the rivit so it mushrooms out and rivits the window. TAKE YOU TIME, THIS IS NOT A FAST AND EASY JOB, but!! IT DOES MAKE ALL THE DIFFERENCE. JUST TAKE YOUR TIME DONT GIVE UP.
Premium72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:37 PM   #9
Yeller68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premium72 View Post
this is the hardest thing to do on theses..hahah. you need a flat surface to place the smooth part of the rivit. the tool goes on the "tube" part of the rivit, you then take a hammer an hammer the tool down into the rivit so it mushrooms out and rivits the window. TAKE YOU TIME, THIS IS NOT A FAST AND EASY JOB, but!! IT DOES MAKE ALL THE DIFFERENCE. JUST TAKE YOUR TIME DONT GIVE UP.

Plus this is one of those times when a second pair of hands is a big help.
Yeller68 is offline   Reply With Quote