The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-22-2003, 12:02 AM   #26
breeh
Recovering 67-72 Addict

Another thought, I have that short frame that I am going to be getting rid of. It has a 400 that I am going to keep but the driveshaft will be of no use to me with the 4x4 that I am building. So keep that in mind as an option as well.

"Friends call me cruzer cuz I like fast cars and fast women"
breeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 12:35 AM   #27
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Mike, the proper lenght for that front shaft might be tough to find. If memory is with me, your sb is mounted in BB position? You might be able to use a shaft for a truck that had a BB/auto trans.......but the BB would have had a 400T behind it, & the short tail 400 t is approx 11/16" longer than a shorttail 350T. On the heavy type carrier(slipyolk in the middle), you could possibly split the diff in lenght, by adjusting position of the carrier. 2pc shafts are funny at times tho, you can swap 1/2 of the shaft, & it may work fine, or you could pick up a vibration(better to swap the complete shaft). The 2 pcs are balanced as an assy, & the balance point is in 1 position only. Good luck.....crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 12:46 AM   #28
mikep
Used to have a truck

Well I do have the heavy type carrier and I was kind of banking on that. Its starting to look as though cutting the shaft might be my only option.

Unless ... If I get the correct shaft I'll have to move the motor forward on small block mounts and then I'll have to have my exhaust lengthened. Thats probably a lot cheaper . Driveshafts arent very cheap to get shortened twice and the old lady has just about cut me off .

Anyone want to trade a front shaft with a TH350 yoke and a set of small block motor mounts for a set of big block motor and transmission mounts?