The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-18-2008, 08:03 AM   #51
Scott Webster
Sheetmetal Psycho

Re: Small Town living...

My neighbors got pissed when I pulled in with my "new" truck. They kept pissin and moanin about the redneck next door when talking to the other neighbor. We can hear them through our baby monitor sometimes when they have their grandkids. Even though my truck is registered and I never do work outside the garage. So, I pulled the '71 inside to change the engine and put the '67 cab and front clip in the driveway (covered). I figured it's not technically a truck, but perhaps half a truck. Just my way of saying luv ya to the neighbors. I am always nice to them and don't poison their cats like the previous occupant. Of course that may change the next time one craps next to my window... Nah - the pepper in the mulch reaction is fun to watch LOL.
Future mods: 67 front clip

Webby's Rigginations - where everything has potential!
Scott Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:29 AM   #52
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

This is actually a big thing going on all over the country now, what it is, is greedy politicians instead of raising your taxes, have figured out that if they raise your property tax value that you have to pay more, with out anything for the news media to sink their teeth into, so they create ordnances with "the general welfare of the public at large in mind" and they start telling you what you can and cant do with private property.

I had the same thing happen to me when I lived in Montana, we got this new @$$ hat city councilman from Colorado, and he came in and started a big push to remove all the "junk" from town because it was all a "safety and health" hazard. I was storing my 71 Oldsmobile 442 Behind my grandmothers house, she was 83 years old at the time, and the city served her with a citation for having a unregistered junk vehicle.

The car is by no means junk, hell it is a complete body, and you can not tell that there is no engine or transmission in it, all it needs is to have the engine and tranny put back in.

Myself and a group of friends all wound up going down to numerous city council meetings, the coincidence is that all of us had received citations, and all of us just so happened to be Veterans of the US Armed forces, after pushing the issue for about 6 months, and 10-30 of us showing up at ever city council meeting (for a city of 7500) they pretty much told us, screw you guys, were going to do what we want to and there is nothing you can do about it.

The way that they had worded the citation law was that if you had a "Junk" vehicle on your property, you would be given a citation and have 30 days to remove the vehicle, after that they would fine you 150.00, and then 35.00 a day until it was removed. If you refused to comply it was going to be garnished via your property taxes, and if you did not pay them with your property taxes, they would take your home.

What a damn joke.

I finally told the city that if anyone touched my car that I was going to have "An unpredictable extremely less than favorable reaction that could very well make quite a few people famous"

I never had a problem again after that.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:22 AM   #53
berencam

Quote:
Originally Posted by PipsC10 View Post
I'm not trying to be an ass, but if my neighbor had 9 cars in his front yard I would complain too. Everyone has to remember that some people care for their homes and yards like we do our rides, and it is a fact that Nuisance properties lower property values

Not everyone understands why someone would want 9 cars. It's a hobby, probably like your neighbors hobby of collecting worms. The only thing is, his hobby is absent from your view while yours is thrown out for everyone to see. Have you ever heard of someone complaining that a yard was "too clean".

I bought a new house in a new neighborhood 2 years ago, and there is an ordinance that says you cannot park your vehicles in the street for over 72 hours without being moved. One of my neighbors has the ugliest Ford Areostar van ever assembled that sits in the street at all times. It has become a target of vandalism and hit and run. All this has done is bring in a target for our "troubled" youth (better known as pieces of sh$$) to mess with, wether its vandalism or stealing gas out of it. I dont want the punks in my neighborhood.

Please dont take this the wrong way, I don't know your neighborhood or you. I'm just trying to give you a different prespective on the situation.
I'm sorry, but if you or anyone else has or had a problem for the 'mess' in the neighbors yard, then you probably aren't a good candidate for city living. move to a secluded place where you aren't affected by neighbors See you forget that this is a free country, paid for by your great grandfathers lives. They wanted you to be free from ANYONE telling you what and what not to do (within reason obviously killing, stealing raping out of the question). Slowly as the years go by we are loosing more and more of our rights, such as freedom of speech and right to bear arms to name a few. The question i ask you is at what point does this situation stay within our constitutional rights and what point is it breeching it. What i mean is, back 100 years ago if someone came to your parents house and told them their yard was too messy and they needed to clean it up they would have gotten laughed at and had a door shut in their face. Now its a serious issue and something that 9/10 times you have to abide by. Just think how it will be for the next generation. Its a fine line thats moving closer to breeching every day.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:41 PM   #54
PipsC10

Quote:
Originally Posted by berencam View Post
I'm sorry, but if you or anyone else has or had a problem for the 'mess' in the neighbors yard, then you probably aren't a good candidate for city living. move to a secluded place where you aren't affected by neighbors See you forget that this is a free country, paid for by your great grandfathers lives. They wanted you to be free from ANYONE telling you what and what not to do (within reason obviously killing, stealing raping out of the question). Slowly as the years go by we are loosing more and more of our rights, such as freedom of speech and right to bear arms to name a few. The question i ask you is at what point does this situation stay within our constitutional rights and what point is it breeching it. What i mean is, back 100 years ago if someone came to your parents house and told them their yard was too messy and they needed to clean it up they would have gotten laughed at and had a door shut in their face. Now its a serious issue and something that 9/10 times you have to abide by. Just think how it will be for the next generation. Its a fine line thats moving closer to breeching every day.

Your absolutely right to a certain point. I was just trying to give a different point of view, as I qouted. However I have not forgotten that this is a FREE country. If I had forgotten that this was a free country, then I would not have been standing at the cemetary on Friday paying tribute to a local fallen soldier that died for ME and everyone else that stands in the United States.

To answer your question, along with your constitutional rights there is also laws and rules that everyone must follow. This includes local ordinances. These ground rules were also set by our founding fathers. So do we get to pick which rules we want to follow, and the ones we don't? No. I agree that if he was the only one cited in a neighborhood filled with junk, then it's not right. That's why I ask, how does he know he was the only one cited. If I am caught speeding, do I ask why they have not cited everyone else who was speeding? I was in the wrong, so I pay the fine and move on. Everyone else will get theirs later.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:28 AM   #55
teeitup
Just like to part out trucks!!

He has asked his neighbors and some others around town with alot of stuff outside and they have not been issued anything so they are singling him out and that is wrong, and against the law
1958 Cameo (one of 1405 built, it was my dads)
2020 chevy Apex 4x4 crew cab
1969 Z28 with the 302
1980 chevy swb 4x4
1964 chevell Malibu SS
1976 K20, sold new originally out of my dads chevy dealership

Members that I've met, over 200 probably closer to 300 in the 12 years I've been on this site, everyone I met "It was a pleasure"
teeitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:30 AM   #56
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

did the same thing to us when he had a quarter of the cars we've got now, how we got a kdot state certified private storage yard, can have anything auto related we want.

My name tag says Ryan

KansasTwister On other forums
Walts_restoration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 03:17 AM   #57
drivethechevy

me my dad and my older brother ran into similar problems at our old house, we had 4 street legal vehicles all parked in our driveway or garage and then we had my dads 71 custom deluxe and my older brothers 70 shortbox and our family heirloom 1946 case vac tractor out in our driveway all nicely restored and minus the tractor all regualrly driven and street legal and they were out there only during the day for 6 months while my older brother restored his 71 gto judge in our 3 car garage, well my dad was the civil engineer for the city for 9 years at the time and he kept workin there for 6 more but 2 or 3 months into the restoration some people who got fed up of driving past our showcase of a driveway with non forsale vehicles and a huge halfpipe in the yard decided that since we had so much money to have 3 fully restored things sitting in our driveway along with a nicer newer house and a halfpipe in the yard that we didnt need all of our stuff any more and decided to try and sue us for the EYESORE that our property had become , they didnt win and nothing had to change cause the people only had to see our property for 30 secondas as they drove by to go to home or work but some people in smaller towns are just set on getting the whole town to look picture perfect
its mighty selfish of the m if u ask me
good luck in ur strugle with ur city

1971 chevy k10 custom deluxe
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=341257
1968 chevy k/10 fleet
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=334731
1948 desoto custom coupe fluid drive(family heirloom)
drivethechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 04:59 AM   #58
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

It isn't fair for this young guy for sure he feels singled out by the hole thing but takeing the ballanced view as I think he is doing is the best way, you have to see both sides in this life cause if you come down on one side only your going to lock horns all the f****** time. Yes it is his right to own and keep as many vehicles a he wants and it is his neighbours or town councils right to look out of there windows at a clean and tidy neighbourhood. and yes our forefathers fought for our freedoms both sides of the pond but the people who decide how free we ultimatley are are our governments and if they say your not free to do a thing then you aren't, end of. It's just the well worn story of the little guy against the powers that be, if you have enough money and time and your sure of a win then fight it but 99% of the time we have do what they say and bite the bullet. But it is still strange that if this town is the giant car park that it has been painted as to why they should be on his case well the answer may be simple enough that the council had decided to clean up dodge and this young guy was to be the example.

Good luck mate...it's even worse in the nanny state U.K

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger

Last edited by eightbanger; 03-19-2008 at 05:12 AM.
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 06:55 AM   #59
andrewt2

Well, just an update, i did nothing more than move two cars around in the yard and put a car tarp over my small junk pile on the side of my garage and i recieve a letter saying im in compliance with the city code again. hmph...
andrewt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 04:08 PM   #60
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Thats good news all's well that ends well as they say.

And now if you could comb your hair and tuck your shirt in you'll be all right

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 07:03 PM   #61
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightbanger View Post
And now if you could comb your hair and tuck your shirt in you'll be all right

1968 C-10 SWB, 5.7 Vortec/700R4/3.73 posi, Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2000 Honda VFR in the faster yellow!
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

1967 C-10 SWB 'Six Appeal'-Gone but not forgotten...

Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 03:50 AM   #62
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewt2 View Post
Well, just an update, i did nothing more than move two cars around in the yard and put a car tarp over my small junk pile on the side of my garage and i recieve a letter saying im in compliance with the city code again. hmph...

Small town living---Ain't it a hoot. Go from an outcast to a relative in one easy step.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 04:27 AM   #63
Boog
laying low

Small town America, where everybody knows your name. that's good news.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 04:51 AM   #64
mfishburn

Congrats! I feel for you. I've heard so many of these stories. Lucky yours ended with a happy ending. I am 19 too but I only own two vehicles. I would love to own nine cars expecially the beautiful cars you own, but my own enforcer (my mother) makes sure I won't clutter the yard. All together my family and I own 6 cars and trucks. My dad and I keep looking for more. I'm glad everything worked out for you.
mfishburn is offline   Reply With Quote