The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-12-2008, 04:06 AM   #1
boundstaffpress
Jamie Hyneman is my twin

Wont start

If my HEI coil had a short on the red lead, could it have burned up the module?

I have been working to get my 72 running before summer. It hasn't been running well or at all for since I pulled it into storage in Sept. I did have it running on all 8 cylinders a couple weeks ago, but I had to have the pedal half way down to keep it going.

I have been waiting for a weekend when I could pull the intake and replace the gaskets. I got that done Friday evening. Got everything bolted back together and it still wouldn't start. I messed with the timing and choke. I checked the resistance on all the plug wires, and cleaned and gapped all the plugs. New electro-grease on all the wire ends.

Today I checked the 12V lead, and it is fine, so I pulled the cover, and found a burned/shorted red lead. I got to the parts store at 5:40 and bought a new coil. By the time I tried to start with the new coil, the store had closed.

Should I pull the module and have it tested? Just replace it?
Any other ideas?

SOLD 1967 K10 Fleetside, 283, Front and Rear Posi SOLD

Color Wiring Diagrams Now in High Resolution
V8 and Cab and Cab and Chassis
boundstaffpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:25 PM   #2
gator2511

Re: Wont start

I would have the module tested. Its free and easy to do. Also examine the rotor and dizzy cap. I've had rotors short straight down to the dizzy shaft. After you check those out see if you have good spark at the plug wires if it won't start. If you have good spark and it still won't start it might be a good idea to go back and recheck your dizzy position.

Last edited by gator2511; 05-12-2008 at 04:30 PM.
gator2511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 08:54 AM   #3
boundstaffpress
Jamie Hyneman is my twin

Re: Wont start

I didn't have a chance to get the module tested today, but I did take the distributer cap apart, and double check the carbon bug was in contact with the rotor, and the coil. I rolled the engine back to TDC, and re-stabbed the dizzy. I was afraid that the timing mark was off, so I even felt TDC by checking with a probe inside the spark plug hole. Still no start. I can only get cylinder #4 to fire. I can tell because the header gets warm.

SOLD 1967 K10 Fleetside, 283, Front and Rear Posi SOLD

Color Wiring Diagrams Now in High Resolution
V8 and Cab and Cab and Chassis
boundstaffpress is offline   Reply With Quote