The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-15-2008, 07:06 AM   #26
rick0312

Re: Rustoleum?

I am currently in the process of spraying a couple of panels. I am using reustoleum high gloss black. I had solid panels to begin with so i scuffed up the old paint real good and applied a couple of coats of rustoleum primer....sanded the primer and then shot using a compressor and harbor freight gun. I am thinning the paint 30% with acetone, thats about double as reccomended on the label. I like to thin down to a Skim milk-like consistency. Also, I have learned that the spray pattern and quality of atomization of the paint is crucial in preventing orange peel. If this is your first time using a spray gun as it was mine...it's basically a trial and error deal in order to find your guns optimum spray pattern. I'll try to post some pics if i get a chance. Overall I am pleased with the result I am getting with rustoleum. If your truck is a daily driver or weekender like mine is I think you can't beat this paint for it's afordability and durability.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:20 AM   #27
old Chevy guy

I painted my 74 chevy van and my 61 chevy truck with rust oleum regal red over rusty metal primer ,worked good, faded after a while but red always does anyway. My other truck with forest green looked good too! Also I have been rusty metal priming and gloss blacking frames on my projects for better than 20 years,works great and still hanging on the frame of my 69 camaro 22 years so far.
old Chevy guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:23 AM   #28
prg machine

ttt
Crane roller cam lifters and rockers ,1.6 intake ratio, Open chamber heads, 9.5-1 compression ratio, 2.02 intake valves , Edelbrock performer Air Gap manifold Carter AFB performer 750cfm, MSD ignition, SM465 NP205 4.10 gears:
prg machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:48 AM   #29
old Chevy guy

I forget to mention you only need around 35 or 40 lbs of air presure to paint little compresers usually keep up just fine.
old Chevy guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:19 PM   #30
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
sinister... what i did was WAY cheaper and lasts longer than rattle can. I've been there a couple times myself.

mrein, a budget paint job to one man, is another man's entire budget.
A gallon of epoxy primer, plus all the stuff you'll need to use it properly, would cost 3 to 4 times what I have in my paint job.
The goal of the build up should also be considered.
Personally, I know my longhorn will never be worth anything. I can't speak for unreconstructed1, nor do I want to say his truck is a worthless pile like mine. However, if a flat or semil gloss finish is all he wants to do, then there's nothing wrong with this method.

Budget paint jobs ALWAYS bring the paint snobs out of the woodwork (I am NOT calling anyone here a snob) click on my link above, and go to the last page... you'll see what I am talking about.
unreconstructed1 may want a perfect 10... he may be happy with a 5.5, maybe even less. Personally, I love mine. Durable, MUCH better looking than when I started shooting it, doesn't absorb water, and in all reality... good enough, is simply too good for that steaming pile.
Believe me I am far from a paint snob.
When I started in on my truck cab I went to a paint house here in the Cities, near where I work. For primer he suggested PPG DP40LF. I walked out of there with a gallon of that epoxy primer, enough reducer for the whole gallon and $125-$130 lighter in my billfold.

After I used that up I went to the paint guy in my town. He said use the PPG cheaper line. Epoxy but cheaper. I honestly couldn't tell the difference. After two years now there are no lift or bubble issues so I'll guess it works the same. And for that gallon with all the chemicals I needed in hand I got out of the store for less than $100.

So now if you are looking to primer a whole vehicle I'm guessing 2 gallons will cover it. I believe the cheaper PPG epoxy I bought comes in white, gray and black. If you want the primer look, and you want it black, why not do it right the first time for under $200 or so?

And you can still top coat it with automotive paint when you are done.

BTW, I later bought and used PPG single stage top coat. Again less than $100/gallon with all the necessary chemicals to mix. I didn't like it. I had some left over DuPont single stage that went on very nice over the PPG epoxy. When I get to the box it will be cheapo PPG epoxy under DuPont single stage with hardner.

After I get my box painted I'll have less than $500 into the whole truck in paint. And I'll have done it over 3-4 years. If you're putting gas in these trucks today you can afford one hundred bucks a year in paint supplies (I just filled both tanks on my rig for $110.)
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote