The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-27-2008, 06:19 PM   #1
John Pasinski

Transmission swap

Hi; Tell me if I'm pipe dreaming. I have an '81 Silverado 1/2 ton 2 w/d. w/ an auto trans. I understand that drive train parts from '73--'87 will fit this model. I have clutch, flywheel, bell crank, bell housing, pedal assy. and muncie 4 speed from a '73 gathered and cleaned up almost ready to go. I also have the tunnel cover (I'll have to cut out for the shifter). I'll buy the fork, throw-out, pilot bearings and boots new through NAPA. My questions: I can't see where the clutch rod will go thougth the firewall! Since this was auto from the factory, do I have to remove some sort of plate (that I don't yet see)? I also see (2) holes on the frame rail where it looks like the bell crank bracket should be attached. Although that doesn't look like it will match up w/ the clutch rod. Good thing I didn't start this job till I looked at the firewall. Can this be accomplished? Thanks..........
John Pasinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:41 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Transmission swap

on my 76 there was an oval shaped hole with a boot that was what the clutch linkage went through when i changed cabs to an 81-87 cab which had been automatic i had to make the hole if memory serves me correct you can see the outline of it tho its been three years since i scrapped the project and i kinda forget
im not sure of differences between the clutch and linkage but mine was a three on the tree i dont think there was any difference but i dont know for sure

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:33 PM   #3
79gmcsierragrande
Manual Transmission Club

My 79 came stock with a 4speed Muncie. Here are some pictures of where it goes though the fire wall. Let me know if you need more pics or info.

I’m glad to see someone converting to stick, you always see it the other way.
Attached Images

If I wanted easy I would just buy a NEW truck!
79gmcsierragrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:48 PM   #4
John Pasinski

WOW! Thanks for the photos. They help a lot. I see that the rod actually goes through the floor to the left and below the steer column. I don't think there's a plate or area w/ a knockout for the rod on my truck. I may have cut open a spot. YIKES!
John Pasinski is offline   Reply With Quote