The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-05-2008, 08:08 AM   #1
beaterC10

Electric Fan and High Amp Alternator

I have seen a thread here about using a Jeep fan and a few on the net about using a Lincoln or Taurus fan.

Most claim you can pick up a few mpg with an electric fan. Is that really the case? The reason I question this claim is that you are trading power loss from spinning a mechanical fan for the load from spinning the alternator. It seems any savings would have to be the result in an efficiency gain with the electric fan.

The next question is about finding a big amp alternator to run the fan. What little research I have done suggests a CS144 alternator would work. It resembles the alternators used on our trucks with a bigger case. Were these used on any of the 73-87 trucks? Any other suggestions for a non-chrome 3 wire big amp alternator?

I am old (middle aged) and my truck is a daily beater so chrome and 1 wire alternatives are of no interest to me.
beaterC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 02:13 PM   #2
Pyrotechnic

Re: Electric Fan and High Amp Alternator

The big thing is that on the highway, the mechanical fan doesn't need to be there at all. Also when your at wide open throttle, the mechanical fan doesn't do you any good either. They also really clean up the engine bay because there is no need for a fan shroud.

For the alternator, I used a 12si 94 amp alternator that bolts right in place of the stock alternator. I believe if you go to the parts store and ask for an alternator for an 84 Camaro with a 305 HO motor and A/C, then you get a 94 amp 12si.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:26 PM   #3
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

A 85-86 Camaro 100 amp alternator is a v-belt bolt on. I ran one for years.

I use a 145 amp alternator now. Power windows and electric fans work great.

Do electric fans work? Sure do. I wouldn't be able to get 18 MPG out of the ZZ4 if they didn't.

Last edited by gchemist; 06-05-2008 at 02:27 PM.
gchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:37 PM   #4
xxcbr

I have had really good luck out of mine. I used the Altima setup. Really easy install and I dont have that huge shroud hanging out there. So far we've had mid 90 degree days and no problems. Keeps the ol small block hybrid cool as ever. Best part is, with these fans, I'm still able to run my stock alternator. They both pull less than 30 amps. As far as fuel mileage... I don't know, I've never put a pencil to it.
Attached Images

1977 Chevy Stepside - 383 CID
1977 Chevy Longbed - 350 CID
1965 Pontiac GTO - 400 CID
Averaging 50 Smiles per Gallon
xxcbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:41 PM   #5
87Lowrider
Navy Radioman Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaterC10 View Post
I have seen a thread here about using a Jeep fan and a few on the net about using a Lincoln or Taurus fan.
If you're wanting info on the Jeep electric fan solution, I followed this thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=291531

I picked up the fan locally at the Dodge Dealership and installed the relay from Jegs... works like a charm.

just my 2 cents.

Kenny
87Lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 06:47 PM   #6
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaterC10 View Post

Most claim you can pick up a few mpg with an electric fan. Is that really the case? The reason I question this claim is that you are trading power loss from spinning a mechanical fan for the load from spinning the alternator. It seems any savings would have to be the result in an efficiency gain with the electric fan.

The next question is about finding a big amp alternator to run the fan. What little research I have done suggests a CS144 alternator would work. It resembles the alternators used on our trucks with a bigger case. Were these used on any of the 73-87 trucks? Any other suggestions for a non-chrome 3 wire big amp alternator?

I am old (middle aged) and my truck is a daily beater so chrome and 1 wire alternatives are of no interest to me.
I am running dual electgric fans (aftermarket) and to support them I changed over to a 140 chrome amp alternator. I did that due to the blilng effect of my motor. I got mine at "TUFFSTUFF" and the alternator carries 80 amps at idle, where a stocker only carries about 35 amps at idle. I did this because I have a largeer than norm stereo system to support also, and late at night the alternator would allow the headlights to dim slightly when the fans are running at stoplights. Tuffstuff and Powermaster also make alternators that are not showey or chrome and they are of a good quality.

I did gain mileage with my electric fans (a good solid 1-2 MPG), but it is hard to see with what else I do with the truck. The HP gains were good with the fans. As for loosing HP or mileage with more drag on the alternator, it is barely noticeable and the performance is good.

Last edited by piecesparts; 06-08-2008 at 06:48 PM.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:01 AM   #7
beaterC10

Thanks for the replies. I saw the thread on the jeep fan, but there seemed to be some discussion whether or not it would cool when towing or hauling. Would the 100 amp camaro alternator handle a fan, H1/H4 headlights, and stereo on an A/C equipped truck?
beaterC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 01:54 PM   #8
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Yes, I ran a 84-86 Camaro amp for years. I even upgraded it to 120 amps for $65 bucks.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:31 PM   #9
AceX
>130dB Moderator

I don't run electric fans, but I have been running a Powermaster HO alternator (140amp) for about 2 years now and it hasn't even flinched despite torturing it constantly with HUGE loads thanks to my gigantic stereo system.

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 05:09 PM   #10
orbot

Are they straight bolt on, i mean wire whise.
orbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:31 PM   #11
AceX
>130dB Moderator

I know the Power Master was.

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:41 PM   #12
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbot View Post
Are they straight bolt on, i mean wire whise.
84-86 Camaro V-belt alternators have the same bolt pattern and electrical connections.