The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-15-2008, 07:13 PM   #1
veltex

help from any air cond. tech

Hi all, I am in the process of trying to put my ac back together, truck was wrecked a while back, didnt get around to putting air back together until now, worked fine before. Condenser and drier and those lines were smashed in accident and somehow one of the small lines on the poa valve got broken(probably hood hinge), was thinking of using used stock stuff, but am leaning now towards some new parts from nostalgic air, cond/dryer, gm comp. fitting, exp valve, and line kit, should get everything under the hood updated, finally my question is the broken line on the poa, it is labeled "to oil bleed line" in my manual, it broke off right at the fitting, can I put a compression type nut back on? brake line type flare ? the original is a smashed flat collar in the line with an o ring, I'm pretty ac stupid so any help here appreciated, thanks
Old 06-16-2008, 12:33 AM   #2
veltex

Re: help from any air cond. tech

bump
Old 06-16-2008, 02:53 AM   #3
leddzepp

The oil bleed line is part of your evaporator coil. I do not know if you would be able to use a compression fitting to repair it. I do know a new coil is about $230.
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:53 AM   #4
haysonj

Quote:
Originally Posted by veltex View Post
Hi all, I am in the process of trying to put my ac back together, truck was wrecked a while back, didnt get around to putting air back together until now, worked fine before. Condenser and drier and those lines were smashed in accident and somehow one of the small lines on the poa valve got broken(probably hood hinge), was thinking of using used stock stuff, but am leaning now towards some new parts from nostalgic air, cond/dryer, gm comp. fitting, exp valve, and line kit, should get everything under the hood updated, finally my question is the broken line on the poa, it is labeled "to oil bleed line" in my manual, it broke off right at the fitting, can I put a compression type nut back on? brake line type flare ? the original is a smashed flat collar in the line with an o ring, I'm pretty ac stupid so any help here appreciated, thanks
I don't think you should use flare fittings in an AC system There must be a reason the factories didn't use them. I can't find the link but when I did mine a while back I found a place on the Internet that sold weld on repair fittings that went on like soldering with a propane torch. I think if you Google Auto AC you might find the place Here's the link http://www.autoacsystems.com/_store/...pen_braze.html - 33k - Cached

Last edited by haysonj; 06-16-2008 at 09:35 AM.
haysonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 08:32 AM   #5
veltex

thanks for the replies, I was hoping to fix the broken fitting, because of the cost of a new evaporator, and the hassle of changing it. So when you used the line weld/solder repair kit, did you have to put something in the line to keep it opened? It is pretty small(3/16 outside diameter), if I decide to replace the evaporator can it be changed by only removing the engine side of the big box or will everything have to come out? Has anyone ever seen a small adapter that goes from oring to maybe a flare or compression? If I understand correctly this small tube is on the low pressure side(?) thanks again
Old 06-17-2008, 08:37 PM   #6
JimKshortstep4x4

I have changed the evaporator on a 2 wd by just removing the engine side of the case. I resealed it with strip caulk. The 4 wd might be another story!

The POA valve is on the low pressure side.

Jim
1971 Shortbox step side 4x4, 350 sbc, 3:07 rear end
1965 Impala SS 400 sbc, Muncie rock crusher
1966 Impala SS 396 bbc, TH 400
1969 El Camino, 350 sbc, TH 350
1971 Snowplow built on a Blazer frame
1972 GMC Short bed, stepside, TH 400, 427 BBC
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:21 PM   #7
haysonj

If that is low pressure you could get compression fittings for AC tubing as I think it is differant than copper. You can remove the the evaporator from the outside without removing the inside.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:23 PM   #8
hotrod 80
mini truck racer

Being broken right at the fitting it will likely be tough to weld and retain the nut . I would looked into 4-seasons to see if they have a repair part for this , but non was listed . Maybe something were you could cut it clean and add a new end with brass union . More than likely they want to sell you a new evaporator . Might see if some on has an old one that you could cut the line with the nut and still have room to make the weld . Is there room to make a new crimp ? One of the local shops has a Snap-on hydralic brake flare kit . It has the dies to make this shouldered o-ring bend in it . Might be able to cut it back and use the old nut with a new crimp if there is enough tubing . The guy here in town makes crimps for me for $10 a peice .
1978 Chevy Luv Blue
1976 Chevy Luv Black
1979 Firebird Flooded in Harvey
1999 F350 Dually
2005 GMC Sierra 4.8 RCSB
2014 Explorer (wifes)

My build :http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=399148

Build #2: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=653583
hotrod 80 is offline   Reply With Quote