The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-08-2008, 12:37 AM   #1
19gmc67

Question need fuseible link picture

just got in my ez wiring kit today ,but need a picture of what a fuseable link looks like and where it needs to be placed and hooked to.dont quite understand the diogram of where it goes.thanks for the help.
19gmc67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:49 AM   #2
Aarons72s

Re: need fuseible link picture

Dont have a pic but can give you a description. Since you will be using a replacment style one it is a 6" special wire that burns up like a fuse if it gets overloaded. The fusible link is also a two wire sizes smaller than what it is conected to. Lets say your main power wire is 10 gauge wire then you would need a 12 gauge fusible link. As to where you put it I usually install two. The first, and important one, goes between the batery power cable and the main feeder wire to your electrical system. It usually ataches to a small plastic junction block on your passenger fender, you should have a square indinion on the inside of the fender next to the battery. And if you have your stock wiring you should have a small black plastic electrical block that goes there. I also use one on the postive charging wire post on the back of the alternator. This one is optional but since I had an electrical fire caused by a overloaded alternator I decided to install one there to. So its your choice on the second one. Fusible links can usually be found at any parts store whereever they have there wire and replacemnt electrical sockets I hope this helps. Good luck.
Aarons72s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:18 AM   #3
GMC Jim

Information from 1971 Chevrolet Truck Chassis Service Manual. Reference Section 12--Electrical - Body and Chassis:-- " Fusible links in the Chevrolet wiring are four gauge sizes smaller than the cable it is designed to protect ". In other words to protect a 12 gauge wire; use a short length of 16 gauge wire. Use solid wire ( not stranded ) and a short lemgth ( 2 inches approx) is more than adequate. This link acts like a fuse and for maximum protection, use a short length of wire 4 gauges smaller as GM states.
Old 07-08-2008, 09:07 AM   #4
19gmc67

thanks for the help,but still like to see a picture of it ,thanks
19gmc67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 05:52 PM   #5
GMC Jim

Click on link for pic of an autozone fuseable link (make your own - for pennies compared to autozone cost of $3.99)

http://www.autozone.com/R,NONAPP2603...ductDetail.htm