The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-18-2008, 10:12 PM   #26
stope4

Re: junk yard score with lots of pics....

It's funny, here in Texas they will usually let you go in the yards if they think you know what you're doing. I've seen all kinds of live stuff in old junk yards and have been lucky enough not to get into anything serious. The only snake I've seen that wouldn't run like hell upon seeing or hearing a human is a water moccasin. For whatever reason, they attack. Haven't seen any of them in a junk yard. Thank goodness!
stope4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:15 PM   #27
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by stope4 View Post
It's funny, here in Texas they will usually let you go in the yards if they think you know what you're doing. I've seen all kinds of live stuff in old junk yards and have been lucky enough not to get into anything serious. The only snake I've seen that wouldn't run like hell upon seeing or hearing a human is a water moccasin. For whatever reason, they attack. Haven't seen any of them in a junk yard. Thank goodness!
Any suggestions on a good yard around here?
Old 08-19-2008, 04:32 AM   #28
tdave00
Restoring a 68 SWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67mater View Post
many yards have closed open access due liability (thank the idiots that sue McDonalds cause the coffee burned em). no yards around here allow you to walk the lot anymore. The one that did is closed all together.

oh, and you guys are ninnies
I hear that. I stopped by a local yard a few weeks ago and the owner wouldn't even let me in to look at a truck. Halfway pi##ed me off. I couldn't really believe it. Guess I'll have to drive to Nashville to the pull-a-part.

I would be more scared of chiggers than anything in that yard. I've never been snakebit or bitten by a spider, but I've had some bad run ins with chiggers. Not good!
tdave00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 01:46 PM   #29
68shortstep
Looks good at 20-ft .....

Chiggers --- How can anything that so-near-microscopic in size have 2-inch teeth ??? At least, that's what it feels like. One of Nature's wonders.

A local land-surveyor who is out in the brush & weeds all the time on a daily basis told me about a spray repellant, and it really works.

Brand name is "Duranon" & it's stout enough you're not even supposed to spray it on your skin --- clothes & socks only. Labels says it will survive & remain effective through two launderings on your clothes.

I've never gotten either a tick or a chigger when I can remember to put it on before going out into the woods or the weeds.

About $ 9 per (small) spray can, but it WORKS.

WalMart sometimes carries it, and local farm/feed supply stores.
68shortstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 02:13 PM   #30
panhandler62
Java Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by QKENUF4U View Post
GOOD POINT !!! and TICKS (can you say lyme-disease) not so sure about the spiders in the grass other than big ol garden spiders AHHHHHHHHHHHH now "INSIDE" the trucks OH YA SPIDERS BIG TIME !!!!
That is your basic orb weaver (sometimes called "writing spiders") -- great at controling noxious insects.
68 C20 Fleetside -- RIP
Decorating the whole town up at a cost of $27 ....
panhandler62 is offline   Reply With Quote