The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-29-2008, 07:06 PM   #1
aboyer
Adam B

Help!! Steering Column Dissembly

I am trying to dissembly my steering column and have came against a road block. My main problem is that the steering shaft bearings need to be replaced. I have already removed one bearing, but I can't figure out how to tear down the column any further.

The column is from a '72 Blazer and is a tilt column. The tilt part is very tight, but the inner bearings that hold the steering shaft need to be replaced.

Any help would be appreciated.

Adam
Attached Images

aboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 07:24 PM   #2
john
member #16

Re: Help!! Steering Column Dissembly

Heres a pic. You need to remove the levers, then the upper housing will come off. It is pressed on, it will tap off with a soft punch. I believe the shaft has to be removed to change the brg's. The trunnion pins for the tilt assy need a puller sometimes if they are real tight. I would suggest removing the column from the truck to make it easier to work on. It looks like you already have the nut off. I have a pdf file that has disassembly I can send if you pm your email addy.
Attached Images

Last edited by john; 07-01-2008 at 07:07 PM.
john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 10:32 PM   #3
Sammy

Remove the tilt arm & gear arm. Remove the cover. Remove the center spring assy. Use 2 small screws(as a puller) to remove the two side pins. Use your tilt arm to disconnect it from the housing. All easier with column removed. Watch out for ball bearings they will fall out.

"You can wash a pig, soak it in most expensive perfume. In the end it is still just a pig."

ODD BALL build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478629"
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 08:33 PM   #4
aboyer
Adam B

Ok, I have now removed the following items:

--Column Cover
--Pin Dowel

The next thing that I need to remove is the Pin Pivot?? I believe it has inner threads that need a screw threaded into them, and then try to remove these?

I don't want to dis-assembly this any more than I need to, as I need to replace the upper bearings and I also need to replace the lower bearing that is at the end of the shaft.

Does the chevy dealer carry these bearings? or should I go through someone like this link:

http://www.americanclassic.com/asp/d...=1972&ytype=to

Thanks,

Adam
Old 07-06-2008, 10:37 PM   #5
red71cheyenne
Back in the sticks

Ya, you'll have to put small screws into the side pins to pull them out. There is a tool also made for this. I got one from Harbor Freight, but I don't recommend it, as I broke it very easily. To get to the lower bearing, you may as well remove the column. It would be much easier.

Don't know where to tell you to get bearings, as I never managed to get mine all apart since the tool broke. Good luck!!
2011 K1500 Suburban
2014 K1500 Pickup
2008 Nissan Altima? The wifes' hoopty
red71cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 06:00 PM   #6
aboyer
Adam B

Ok, I have gotten 1x of the pivot pins out, but the second one is a bit of a problem. The previous owner, from what I can tell, broke his pivot pin tool off in the threads. I can't get it out will probably damage the pivot pin if I drill it out.

Can I purchase a new pivot pin at the dealer?