The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-02-2008, 09:02 PM   #1
Shane
Account Suspended

Electric Fan Control ...

I picked up a dual electric fan setup and it already has the relays wired in, but nothing in the way of a switch that would be connected to a thermostat to control on and off. I don't want both fans running all the time so my question is what types of controllers are you guys with dual fans running? Does one controller operate both fans? If so, do they cut both fans on simultaneously ... one on at a certain temp, then the other comes on at a higher temp ... both on at a certain temp then both off? Or is each fan operated by a separate controller?

Any pointers that you guys that are running dual fans can share it much appreciated.

Thanks!
Shane

Last edited by Shane; 09-02-2008 at 09:08 PM.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:22 PM   #2
sfcmess

Re: Electric Fan Control ...

I read an article in Hot Rod (I think) and they reviewed a controller by Spal that looks worth trying out. Their controller was hooked up to 2 different fans and if I remember correctly, it is variable speed for each fan depending on temp. Also programmable for low and high temps. Link to controller is below.

http://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/...ode=FAN-PWM-V3
sfcmess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:10 AM   #3

Shane: take a look http://www.6066gmcguy.org/ElectricFans.htm

Last edited by 463; 09-03-2008 at 12:11 AM.
463 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:16 PM   #4
Shane
Account Suspended

Anyone have any experience with an off-the-shelf controller for dual fans?

I have found several, but wanted to get some input from some folks here who have actually used them and find out their thoughts on which ones may be better than others.

thanks
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:57 AM   #5
WIDESIDE72

I originally had a "helper" fan on my truck. I recently swapped ditched the stock mechanical fan and helper fan and installed a dual fan set up off a 94 Caprice LT1 car. I used the thermostat and relay that came with the Hayden single fan. The relay had an output for a second fan. The thermostat is installed by spreading the fins slightly near the upper radiator hose and pushing it through. It is retained by a push on clip. I believe the set up I have is preset to have the fans come on around 200 degrees at the radiator, which results in the temp guage in the car showing 180-190 degrees. I live in Central Texas, and with a three row radiator and the AC on, it has never gotten hot. I rigged a "pilot light" to the relay and mounted it to the dash. It normally stays on all the time, and if it goes out, I know that the fans aren't working. This was the easiest set up. I was thinking of having it come on if the fans go off, but haven't gotten around to it yet. The Hayden thermostat and relay are available separately. I picked one up at my local O'reilly auto parts when I broke the thermostat during an engine swap
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 11:22 AM   #6
michael bustamante

I use the adjustable hayden t stat and relay set up and the only problem i`ve had is a bad crimp (on my part) Ground it good
Old 09-04-2008, 12:39 PM   #7
Andy4639
Old member

Just a thought for you.
I have a helper fan hooked up to the A/C switch to a relay to come on when the A/C is turned on. Works great.
You could have one fan hooked to a relay that is grounded by the temperature prob in the block so when it grounds the fan comes on. Then have the other fan come on like mine.
Just a thought!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote