The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board > 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans and PanelsProjects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-28-2008, 07:27 PM   #1
Rokcrln

Re: LFD's 4dr Burb Build

Another 6hrs down and way to many more to go! I sectioned the outer door edge were the window felts go so it would match the pass side and not drag on the glass. I just cut sections out of a donor front door and Tig'd then in place. Then I made the cradle for the fixed vent window and installed the inner door handle latch mounting area. Then 3hrs of fun started when I had to rebuild the door lock system in reverse but it is done and works great.

Their Will not be any progress until next weekend because I am taking off in an hour to head down for my class this week with Lazzy to learn the English wheel, power bead roller and other panel fabrication tools. I will be taking pics

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:51 PM   #2
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln View Post
I am taking off in an hour to head down for my class this week with Lazzy to learn the English wheel, power bead roller and other panel fabrication tools. I will be taking pics

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Dude, thats awesome

Killer
Spray-Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 01:36 AM   #3
Rokcrln

So here is just a tease of what I made while in class. In most pic's you can see the flat plate I started out with, it was suck a blast! Now I need to sell Low-Buck so I can afford the tools I need to build more and more and more......

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Learning curve or a fender as Lazzy calls it.

Alum hood scoop.

Rear quarter panel.

A pillar.

This is the start of the door.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:22 AM   #4
Rokcrln

Well good news my electric life power windows showed up today. I ordered one set to check out because they do not make a set for the rear windows of the burbs only the front's. After a few minutes of looking and a few quick measurements I do believe they will work great in the rear doors with very little modifications. If I get a few projects done Thursday I will do the mod and see how well they work. Electric life is a direct bolt in for the fronts of the Burbs, truck and blazers and very soon my rear side doors

And yes I will show a step by step to mod these for anyone else wanting power windows in all 4 locations.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Last edited by Rokcrln; 10-02-2008 at 02:22 AM.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:41 PM   #5
Rokcrln

Yes it was a blast! Here is the end result of my first 3 days. I can't wait for the 5 day class

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:10 PM   #6
Rokcrln

Well not much progress but I did get the door gap adjusted and then leaded in. Next wil be pulling the door back off and finish welding the inner panel and the front edge.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:41 PM   #7
Rokcrln

I got allot done today and would have finished the 4th door but I ran out of gas for my TIG. I started off by adding the second skin to the front of the door edge. This is to add strength to the front edge just like the factory did. Since mine did not have the factory door edge I had to make it this way. I first welded the edge all the way up the door making sure not to warp anything. Then I added an 1/8" Tig rod to the edge of that to give a thicker profile so their is more for the paint to stick to and to give a bit more metal to to scribe for my door gap. Then I sprayed some blue die on the edge of the door so when I scribed my 3/16" gap it would be allot easier to see and grind. After that was done I started welding up the inner door panel up until I ran out of welding gas.

Kevin
LFD Inc.