The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-05-2007, 08:20 PM   #1

Brake light on when emergency brake on?

I read in the brake section of the dealership service manual that when your emergency brake is depressed and you turn the key on, the brake light on your dash is supposed to illuminate. My emergency brake is completely stock and functional and all bulbs are good, and mine doesn't light up when I activate my emergency brake and turn the key on.

Do any of you know if your truck will do this? I think I am interpreting it right from the manual.

If mine is supposed to do this, what could be the cause as to why it doesn't? Any help or advice is appreciated.

Thanks!!
92470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 08:21 PM   #2

Re: Brake light on when emergency brake on?

Forgot to mention. It's a 71' Cheyenne, all stock.

Thanks
Old 09-05-2007, 08:51 PM   #3
john
member #16

The E brake doesnt have a light on these trucks. The warning light should light when in the start position as a bulb test for brake probs.
john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 09:07 PM   #4

Yes I'm aware that the dash brake wasn't to serve as a emergency brake "on" light, but the manual clearly states that by activating your emergency brake and switching ignition to on, it should illuminate. I believe it was supposed to be able to do this based on pressure on the rear brakes, and not the front.

It should come on when you start the truck as a self test and then go out of course. It would only actually light up for it's intended purpose when there was unequal brake pressure. I think the emergency brake test simulates this?

No big deal, just curious. I like to have everything working. Small and insignificant as they may be!
Old 09-05-2007, 10:02 PM   #5
centsless
sufficiently talented fool

The E-brake does not have anything to do with the hydraulic brake system/pressures. The vehicles that have an e-brake light have a switch on the e-brake pedal assembly. Our trucks do not have one. The only trigger for that light is the switch on the proportioning valve. If the switch becomes biased to one side (by unequal pressure) it activates the light. If you want to test the light, unhook the light brown wire from the proportioning valve, and ground it. The light should come on with the key on. If it does, the system is working normally. Hope that helps!
1981 Corvette
1966 Impala Convertible
Click here to support the board
centsless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 12:59 AM   #6
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

centsless is dead on 100% right.
The book is wrong. Not the first time, even in manuals straight from GM, and on some of the GM sponcered sites, there is mis information... like being able to tell stepside or fleetside from the VIN. Can't do it, but there's GM info out there saying you can.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 11:29 PM   #7
myraley

Smile Re: Brake light on when emergency brake on?

Say, I came across this thread and wanted to ask Longhorn man, or anyone else, a question. I keep forgetting to take off the emergency brake on my 72, and then I drive on the freeway or something. Not good. How do I connect a light on the dash to the emergency brake pedal so it lights up until I take the emergency (or parking ) brake off? Any wiring schematics? It would just be a switch on the pedal or arm, right?
Thanks!
myraley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:57 AM   #8
haysonj

Quote:
Originally Posted by myraley View Post
Say, I came across this thread and wanted to ask Longhorn man, or anyone else, a question. I keep forgetting to take off the emergency brake on my 72, and then I drive on the freeway or something. Not good. How do I connect a light on the dash to the emergency brake pedal so it lights up until I take the emergency (or parking ) brake off? Any wiring schematics? It would just be a switch on the pedal or arm, right?
Thanks!
I installed a switch on my e brake and tapped it into the brake warning light wire. got the switch out of a later model truck 80's I think.