The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-22-2008, 06:12 PM   #1
mr48chev

lowering the rear of a leaf spring 3/4 ton?

Ok for once I have a question that I don't have a real answer to. I want to lower the rear end of my 71 3/4 ton GMC with Leaf springs about two inches.

This is the best photo I have at them moment and it shows that the rear is too high for a truck that doesn't haul 1000 lbs. around all the time.

i don't want to get it down in the dirt but just want it down to a decent level.
I thought that there used to be a kit to put spring hangers in that would set it a bit lower but I can't seem to find any ideas.

i don't really want to reduce the hauling or towing capacity and I don't want it so low I would need a flip kit or C-notch.

Any ideas or suggestions?
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:30 PM   #2
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: lowering the rear of a leaf spring 3/4 ton?

If all you're interested in is lowering couple of inches, I'd get lowering shackles. Do a search and you can find out where to order them.

Since I don't use mine for hauling heavy stuff either, I took 3 leaves off of it. I had 8 leaves on it and now I have five. I took the bottom ones off but someone mentioned that every other one is the way to do it.

I guess if you wanted to get even lower than that, lowering shackles and removing some leaves would do the trick.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:31 PM   #3
XsSpeed

I'm also interested in a 3/4 drop kit. I'm looking at buying one from my Uncle. My biggest hold up is a lack of lowering kits.
XsSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:22 PM   #4
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
If all you're interested in is lowering couple of inches, I'd get lowering shackles. Do a search and you can find out where to order them.

Since I don't use mine for hauling heavy stuff either, I took 3 leaves off of it. I had 8 leaves on it and now I have five. I took the bottom ones off but someone mentioned that every other one is the way to do it.

I guess if you wanted to get even lower than that, lowering shackles and removing some leaves would do the trick.
2nd the shackle kit, that should get you tween 1 1/2- 2 " on drop. If you need more, 2 or 3 leafs off the bottom should work......keep the flat helper if you plan on loading the truck from time to time. Other options would be to de-arch the springs(spring shop job), or move the spring perches(labor intensive on your part). Just look into your budget, & think about how bad you need to "skinn them knuckles" crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 04:16 AM   #5
OhioDan

Thumbs up Re: lowering the rear of a leaf spring 3/4 ton?

I tried the 1-2" lowering shackles found on ebay from CPP. Wouldn't work. It put the spring eye right against the bed. Have new wood bed installed and didn't want to bust the wood on the first bump I hit. They have lowering blocks that fit between the spring and diferential that might work?

LIFE AIN'T EASY WHEN YER FAT AND GREASY!
GMC= Got More Class!
1970 GMC LWB, Fleetside, 350/4spd, Flowmaster "40's", 2002 GMC 16" Rallies, cowl hood,and added a bunch of options that weren't there when I started.
OhioDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:53 AM   #6
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Can't use lowering blocks because the springs are on top of the differential.

The only other way is to get a flip kit which would require a notch kit for the frame.

I'm thinking of making my own lowering shackles. I lowered it 1 1/2 to 2" by removing the leaves from the bottom, but would like to lower just a tad more- maybe another 1 1/2 inches.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:09 AM   #7
mr48chev

Thanks, I might go the take a leaf out or swap to a set that is rated a bit lower than the camper special springs I have now.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:22 AM   #8
Troy pfeiffer

There is a place here in Alberta Canada called scotts super trucks and they sell drop shackels for the 67-72 rear leaf trucks for 95bucks canadian!! THe part # is sl12 and there toll free # is 1-800-gmc-chev (462-2438) or they have a site called scotts supertrucks.com HOpe that helps!!