The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-26-2008, 10:33 PM   #1
Dustin07
Stirrer of the Pot

is anyone laying frame on an oem torsion?

is anyone laying frame with a truck that came with oem torsion? I have heard that SD and porterbuilt both offer a crossmember, and a local guy (hi seth) offered me a '68 x member to help... but I'm wondering if there are any other solutions to laying on a '62 torsion setup before I start cutting. I'm backhalfing it already, so I guess a new front clip isn't that big a deal... I just didn't want to if I don't have to.
Dustin07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 12:00 AM   #2
redsled04

Re: is anyone laying frame on an oem torsion?

Hi back.
Im sure it could be done. But the torsion style ball joints are big dollars.So You wouldnt want to keep buying new ones.

Last edited by redsled04; 11-27-2008 at 12:01 AM.
redsled04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 01:28 PM   #3
Dustin07
Stirrer of the Pot

that's a good point- I just wanted to explore anything I else that we might able to do before I put this thing in lock down for a while.

happy thanksgiving
Old 11-27-2008, 02:40 PM   #4
scotts62
One day...

Go get a front crossmember from a 73-87 and use that, i had tortion bars on mine and thats what i did, it was around $125 ata salvage from rotor to rotor and works great and balljoints are a heck of a lot cheaper too.

93 crew cab build
Project 62
scotts62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 05:35 PM   #5
Dustin07
Stirrer of the Pot

If I only notch the back to basically drop the fender on the tire (about another 4-5 inches) would it be worth a Z in the front, or should I just do a xmember conversion? I forgot about that fender issue I posted about earlier. I'm thinking that would put the rear at pretty close to where yours is. maybe 1-2 inches higher. But an overall drop of like 17+ inches lol.

Last edited by Dustin07; 11-27-2008 at 05:36 PM.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:17 PM   #6
ENHANCED AIR RIDE

I did the 87 bench swap on our 60 C10 with the Northstar. Lots cheaper in the long run and easier parts to find.
ENHANCED AIR RIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 09:56 PM   #7
redsled04

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotts62 View Post
Go get a front crossmember from a 73-87 and use that, i had tortion bars on mine and thats what i did, it was around $125 ata salvage from rotor to rotor and works great and balljoints are a heck of a lot cheaper too.
So the crossmember bolted in ok. Im trying to hook dustin up with a 68 crossmeber I have. I replaced my 68 with a 86 to get the 3" dropspindals and all the rubber bushings.Plus I also have a 60 apache and was tinking of doing the swap.But ill probly get a porterbuil when I get to the 60.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:59 PM   #8
redsled04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin07 View Post
If I only notch the back to basically drop the fender on the tire (about another 4-5 inches) would it be worth a Z in the front, or should I just do a xmember conversion? I forgot about that fender issue I posted about earlier. I'm thinking that would put the rear at pretty close to where yours is. maybe 1-2 inches higher. But an overall drop of like 17+ inches lol.
Your notch shouldnt have to be that big. Do it like the one on your 99.Also Kp makes the prebent notches for these trucks.If you want to lay frame all the way you will either have to z it or get a porterbuilt.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:43 PM   #9
scotts62
One day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsled04 View Post
So the crossmember bolted in ok. Im trying to hook dustin up with a 68 crossmeber I have. I replaced my 68 with a 86 to get the 3" dropspindals and all the rubber bushings.Plus I also have a 60 apache and was tinking of doing the swap.But ill probly get a porterbuil when I get to the 60.
Oh yeah bolted right in, i think i had to drill a couple holes but other than that it worked out good.

93 crew cab build
Project 62
Old 11-27-2008, 10:45 PM   #10
scotts62
One day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin07 View Post
IMO i would do the crossmember conversion and do a big notch in the back and a Z if its not low enough. mine has 2.5 drop spindles on it too, in the avitar pic is where i want it to sit laid out.

93 crew cab build
Project 62
Old 11-28-2008, 12:21 PM   #11
Dustin07
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotts62 View Post
Oh yeah bolted right in, i think i had to drill a couple holes but other than that it worked out good.
I like the way that sounds...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsled04 View Post
Your notch shouldnt have to be that big. Do it like the one on your 99.Also Kp makes the prebent notches for these trucks.If you want to lay frame all the way you will either have to z it or get a porterbuilt.
yeah that's basically what I had in mind. That's not too big at all. Plus since I have that fender issue (unless I want to raise/stretch the fenders or go with smaller wheels) I don't really have to worry about laying frame anyways. It probably not going to happen with this truck. but we can still get it pretty damn low.