The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-12-2008, 12:50 PM   #1
wedgemon

Cool Another Christmas Replacing a Clutch.

It was 4 years ago I did this, and the Trans is coming out again. The Pilot, Throwout or God forbid, the input shaft is buzzing like a can of bees playing golf.

I guess, while I'm under there, I'll replace the flywheel this time, Cab mounts, oil pan gasket and rear seal, along with the clutch kit.

Dear Santa: Bring me all this stuff and some warmer weather. I've been (mostly) good all year.

- Dave

PS: What's the best/easiest way to get the pilot bushing out?

RETIRED: 1980 Scottsdale 4x4

Founding Member:
"TILT WHEEL BELLY." Club
wedgemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 03:35 PM   #2
87Bob

Re: Another Christmas Replacing a Clutch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedgemon View Post
It was 4 years ago I did this, and the Trans is coming out again. The Pilot, Throwout or God forbid, the input shaft is buzzing like a can of bees playing golf.

I guess, while I'm under there, I'll replace the flywheel this time, Cab mounts, oil pan gasket and rear seal, along with the clutch kit.

Dear Santa: Bring me all this stuff and some warmer weather. I've been (mostly) good all year.

- Dave

On the pilot bushing problem. There is a puller that has long narrow fingers that have a lip on the that go in just passed the end of the busing. You tighten up a screw that expands the fingers on the puller behing the puller then use the slide hammer and pull it out. There is another way but it has been a long time since I did it and I'm not 100% sure how it goes but I believe that we used to use damp tissue or paper towel you keep loading it into the hole and tamping it in with a rod that will jut slip into the center hole of the bushing. The idea is that as you push into the hole it expands into the small space behind the bushing and it pushes the bushing out. When you put the new clutch together make sure you Bell housing is perfectly centered on the fly wheel or that can cause you greef. If you can, get a throw out bearing you can grease. Good Luck!
Old 12-12-2008, 03:46 PM   #3
87Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedgemon View Post

- Dave

On the pilot bushing problem. There is a puller that has long narrow fingers that have a lip on the that go in just passed the end of the busing. You tighten up a screw that expands the fingers on the puller out behind the bushing then just use the slide hammer and pull it out. There is another way but it has been a long time since I did it and I'm not 100% sure how it goes but I believe that we used to use damp tissue or paper towel you keep loading it into the hole and tamping it in with a rod that will jut slip into the center hole of the bushing. The idea is that as you push into the hole it expands into the small space behind the bushing and it pushes the bushing out. When you put the new clutch together make sure you Bell housing is perfectly centered on the fly wheel or that can cause you greef. If you can, get a throw out bearing you can grease. Good Luck!
Old 12-12-2008, 03:55 PM   #4
joe231

grease and a punch that fits in side the pilot bushing.
completely fill the cavity behind the bushing with grease, insert the punch and hit it with a hammer, bushing will pop right out
Old 12-12-2008, 06:30 PM   #5
84 400
Sb 400 club

autozone will let you barrow a pilot bushing puller for a deposit that you get back when returned. this tool makes the removal a snap. It only took me seconds to pull mine.
1980 Corvette L-48 4 speed
1992 Mustang GT built 5.0 5 speed

1985 C10 LWB Sold
1982 K10 SWB plow truck Parted out
1986 D30 M1028 fire brush truck Parted out
84 400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 07:08 PM   #6
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Packing it solid with grease as suggested by joe231 is the only way I have ever done it. Anything that is cylindrical and of the same diameter as the pilot bearing's inside diameter will work....bolt, wooden dowel, etc.
As it slides out, you may have to add more grease.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:36 PM   #7
1984Silverado4x4

I got a little cone shaped bolt with with a grease zerk on the end of it. Just tap it into the bushing so the threads can grab and crank on it with a wrench a few times then you take a grease gun and pump it full of grease and it pops right out.

I got it from the local auto parts place.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:49 PM   #8
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

33 years of Chevy mechanic. Grease and a dowl that fits the old pilot hole and a hammer, pops right out. A note to the wise, DO NOT under ANY circumstances use a pilot bearing with rollers inside!!! Use the cintered brass bushing!!! 10 years as 18 wheeler driver. Clutches are for starting and stopping and going backwards. After you get her rolling you don't need the clutch. Learn how to read a tach and a speedo and you can slap that stick all over the place all day long without grinding. During my build I replaced the clutch at 465,000 miles!!!
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:26 PM   #9
wedgemon

Thanks for the pilot advice guys. I'll let you know how this goes. Gonna attempt it this weekend.

It should be warmer, about 17º expected by then.

- Dave

Founding Member:
"TILT WHEEL BELLY." Club

Last edited by wedgemon; 12-17-2008 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:29 PM   #10
badblu97
Double 6's

The Pilot, Throwout or God forbid, the input shaft is buzzing like a can of bees playing golf.

Sorry....this is funny as hell!!!!

Last edited by badblu97; 12-17-2008 at 01:30 PM.
badblu97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:10 PM   #11
wedgemon

Cool Re: Another Christmas Replacing a Clutch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badblu97 View Post
The Pilot, Throwout or God forbid, the input shaft is buzzing like a can of bees playing golf.

Sorry....this is funny as hell!!!!
Humor at my expense?!?! Fine, I can live with that. (Grins!)

BTW - Still sitting outside the garage. I got lazy with two weeks off over the holidays. Probably going in the garage this weekend.

- Dave

Founding Member:
"TILT WHEEL BELLY." Club
Old 01-10-2009, 04:44 PM   #12
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Dave,rememebr what I posted earlier about pilot bearing use. I hope it dosen't have a roller bearing one in it now. If thats the noise you might be replacing the input gear.
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:40 PM   #13
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

Wedge: If the new clutch kit comes with the roller bearing Don't use it. I'll give you the sintered brass one. I have several of them laying around. Let me know, jim