The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-04-2003, 03:51 PM   #1
Alexis
Member since 2000

Question 5/7 drop

pictures would be nice......but questions are how was the drive? did you have any problem driving over speed bumps? how did you route your exhaust? thanks.

P.S any one ever ran a 4.5/6.5 inch drop????
Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 08:25 PM   #2
GREEN70-72

ALEXIS I AM RUNNING A 4-6 DROP AND THE ONLY PROB I HAVE WITH 20"S IS MY PASS FRONT TIRE RUBBING THE INEER FENDERWELL DURING A CORNER WITH A SHIFT IN THE PAVEMENT. BUT I THINK I NEED NEW BODY BUSHINGS. AND I HAVENT FORGOT TO GET YOU THOSE PICS. EVERY TIME I GET HOME ITS DARK.
Old 03-04-2003, 08:31 PM   #3
Alexis
Member since 2000

yeah that what i have 4/6 ECE drop, but i'm thinkin on lowering it maybe another 1/2inch all around cause the more you lower the more the front wheels come in, so i'm thinkin from seeing other poeples rides...... So i got to go battle it agian on tire hieght, lol.

Maybe the car show might shine some light on it.
Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 08:42 PM   #4
SCOTI

Alexis, Ive got a 5/7 on my 68beater. I'm using Western Chassis 2.5" spindles + 1 coil cut off of stock springs (6cyl) & 2600# rear bags, 1.5" blocks, & bolt-on c-section. I've got an adj panhard bar w/the factory bumpstops removed & modified the stock shock mounts so I can use off the shelf HD monroe gas shocks.

I have 15x6" ralleys w/215-75's & 15x8's w/255-70's & it rides like stock. The only thing different is you don't have as much ground clearance! I drive it daily & pull an 18ft car trailer when needed.

Up front, the tires rub the tops of the fenders on really big dips (if your going too fast) & out back, my old wood floor is my current bumpstop. It does handle better thanks to the the lower center of gravity & the urethane sway-bar bushings up front + similar bushings for the rear trailing arms. The exhaust is tucked up as high as possible (parallel to the frame rail but just under), raises up after the crossmember & a single turbo muffler dumps @ the rear axle.

The exhaust has scraped a couple of times in construction zones where the asphault suddenly rises/drops or on extremely steep/short driveway entrances, but day to day it's not something you constantly worry about. The only time the front crossmember has hit was when the little old lady hit me & ran me up the curb (the a-arm hit & curled the lip slightly). Sorry no pics currently, but if you search previous posts, I have a couple out there somewhere. Damn, I'm getting as long winded as my old man.... all you asked was a simple ?, I'm thorough... .
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote