The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-11-2009, 12:02 AM   #1
asphaltburner

Does anyone know about,...?

Yo! Y'all!
As the title states, does anyone know anything about the proper horn hardware for the "Type II" ('78-'87) steering wheel? I need pics, if available, or at least an accurate description.
At this point, I am only guessing at the proper hardware, but I have a good idea of what the assembly order should be. My old donor '73 flatbed's hardware was intact, and my '74 Camaro shop manual has nice diagrams. I'll STILL welcome any info I can get!!
My problem is that I cannot find a Belleville Spring to fit my "Type II" wheel. The spring for the "type I" wheel ('73-'87) is about 2 5/8" in diameter, while the spring for the "type II" wheel is about 2 3/8" to 2 1/2" in diameter (the "type I" spring that's too large for my wheel is on the left,...oddly enough, the matching "type I" receiver and insulator on the right WILL fit my "type II" wheel):

Name:  021009 003 (Custom).jpg
Views: 184
Size:  58.9 KB

The "type I" wheel was available from '73-'87, and the "type II" wheel, '78-'87. Here's my "type II" wheel with it's new horn pad. The "type I" horn pad is below:

Name:  021009 002 (Custom).jpg
Views: 183
Size:  54.9 KB

centexan is kind enough to offer up a Bellville Spring that may be the proper one, but after having NO luck with local dealers, nationwide dealers, any of the aftermarket parts suppliers that I know of, no junkyard items, and nothing I could find via our forum, I felt that this could be a (very minor) subject that deserves some further investigation so that I can post pics and a description of my final assembly for future reference.
I'm also curious if the "type II" wheel was an option that came available in 1978.
Thanks all!
FRANKENTRUCK's designer and builder, Todd.

Last edited by asphaltburner; 02-11-2009 at 12:06 AM.
asphaltburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:20 AM   #2
Scootin 81 C20
3/4 Ton Rodder

Re: Does anyone know about,...?

Mine is a Type II and I have access to a GMC for parts that I believe has the Type II wheel also. I can take a look if you wish and let you know tomorrow.

Thanks
Benjamin.

1989 Chevy Silverado K2500: All Stock (For Now), 350 TBI/700R4. DD/Light Duty Toy.
Scootin 81 C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:42 AM   #3
asphaltburner

Yo! Thanks, scootin!
I've received an email from centexan and he's going to send me the Belleville spring that he has.
I'm STILL very curious about this "type I" and "type II" steering wheel and horn part situation! Any possibility that you can get pics of your disassembly or answer any of these questions for me as a great favor? I would like to know if the "type II" spring is 2 3/8" to 2 1/2" in diameter, if it lacks the plastic edge that the "type I" has, and if the "type II" wheel was an option after 1978. I'm hoping to find the proper horn parts for this particular wheel and then post a pictorial and desciption of the assembly for other members future reference. Hopefully no one will have to figure this all out again!! What a PITA!
Todd.

Last edited by asphaltburner; 02-11-2009 at 12:47 AM.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:17 AM   #4
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

hmm.. ill have my dad look into this. my brothers old 78 had the type 2 wheel, and my 77 has just the standard wheel. But, my silverados (77 burb and 86 k5) have a different type of wheel yet! lol. Ill have him check it out tommorow and let you know.

My name tag says Ryan

KansasTwister On other forums
Walts_restoration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:50 AM   #5
asphaltburner

Yo! Walts!
As always, thanks so very much!
You know I like to tackle weird stuff that some won't touch, many don't know about, and I just go crashing into like I think I can make it happen!
Sure would like to see pics of the "other" type of wheel,...I could make quite a pictorial thread out of this subject, it sounds like!
Wish I could entice one of our member historians to give us a real run-down on the available wheels '73-'87! And the particulars, since the horn parts are specific in each case.
Todd.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:43 AM   #6
heavychevy79
Cheyenne Super

You want a picture of 73-74 s/wheel hardware with the small square button?
Or the 75-87-91 Custom-Delux s/wheel with rectangle button?
Or the 78-87-91 Silverado s/wheel with square button?

I have all of those colmns and wheels but my camera is broke.
I'll bum a camera.
heavychevy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:02 AM   #7
dammitmitchell
the pollock

hmmm.. i diddnt even bother dude..
i got so pissed when i pulled the sterring wheel and found a stuffed in "jumper wire" on my stuff.. so i bought a grant steering wheel and "covered" the horn hole..
then instealled a "stomp switch"
hehehhe..
it looks clean for the install.. and nobody can figure how to honk my horn..

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=343538
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=386042
dammitmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:57 PM   #8
asphaltburner

Yo!
NICE, dammitmitchell! I like that! Don't ya hate BS "jerry-rigging"?!
heavychevy79, thanks!
What I need most is pics of the horn parts and order of assembly for the '78 "type II" wheel (large rectangular horn button show in my pic) that I've posted a picture of in the previous post above. I'm familiar with the '73 "type I" wheel (nearly square horn button shown in my pic) horn parts,...that seems to be the most common, and what my donor flatbed had, but I'll take pics of any that you're willing to post (didn't know there is a third type of wheel!) so that I can put together a pictorial for any other members that try to search out "horn assembly" for any of the available wheels! Sure would be nice to have that available on this forum.
Thanks in advance! I'll be sure to mention that you contributed the pics! And I can add some of my own.
Todd.

Last edited by asphaltburner; 02-11-2009 at 07:00 PM.