The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2009, 02:33 PM   #1
lofly'a

ever thought about choppin & layin?

now that i've peaked your curiousity..........i've been back and forth on whether or not to lay the windshield back 2" on my upcoming 71 gmc build. first saw this process done in an article @ Scotts Hotrods in a Classic Truck'in article a few yrs ago, helped on one with my brother and his buddy while visiting in Ft. Worth, TX 2 yrs ago. i really like the look and the profile that it gives the truck "in pictures", but its a lot of work "and" expense. the custom cut side glass on brother's buddy's truck was almost $700, and i never got to see the finished product cuz he sold it before i could visit again. what are your opinions, have you, would you, if so do you like this profile. i would'nt hesitate for a minute if i did'nt have to kick out the green for custom glass (got 2 extra cabs), but i don't know if i'd like it enough the justify the time and expense.

i kinda see it as a subtle mod that is done to show cars to win extra points, but not much else.
-2003 YUKON (Wife's)
-71 gmc swb fleet (current project, gonna shave everything, bags, stuff w/ 20's, gen III powertrain)
-48 3100 SWB - 12/31/23 LONG TERM Project
lofly'a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 03:05 PM   #2
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Re: ever thought about choppin & layin?

http://rides.webshots.com/album/20399007MaHzxDZHTo
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:46 PM   #3
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

IMO These trucks chopped look horrible. They dont flow with the body lines.

Miss having a truck
thirdstreettito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 05:35 PM   #4
special-K
Special Order

No,I haven`t.I guess it`s because these trucks already look too darn good to mess up.I think that`s why they are the single most popular truck out there.They got it right 42 years ago with a look that lasts.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:14 PM   #5
big_al_71

no a chance of even considering any vehicle on earth to do that to.

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:29 PM   #6
lofly'a

okay, i get it, no chopping, i'm not talking about nearly anything that is posted on the webshots pics that crazy longhorn posted. i suggested lay back as in 2", and would only lower the roof height 1.5". i digress.
-2003 YUKON (Wife's)
-71 gmc swb fleet (current project, gonna shave everything, bags, stuff w/ 20's, gen III powertrain)
Old 01-24-2009, 07:46 PM   #7
long69

well i for one think it might look a tad bit better but not more than 2"and lean that window back it would help with mpg. But mine seems to lack head room i gone over too many dips and bumps and hit my head on the roof.
long69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:10 PM   #8
crazy longhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofly'a View Post
okay, i get it, no chopping, i'm not talking about nearly anything that is posted on the webshots pics that crazy longhorn posted. i suggested lay back as in 2", and would only lower the roof height 1.5". i digress.
Well, you asked for opinions.......& you will no doubt get plenty of them! I guess I should give mine(LOL). Its YOUR truck, build it how YOU like it You will always hear the resto guys say "dont mess with perfection"......wheras the "rodders" will look & say "I think I can make that better!". It all depends on which side of the fence you stand? I can tell all straight tho.....I have NEVER built my toys to suit everyone else, I built them for ME! best of fun, crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
Old 01-25-2009, 07:59 AM   #9
lofly'a

that is exactly my take "crazy longhorn" but i did ASK for the opinions. my take is to do it like i like it, and to hell with what everyone else likes. i doubt that i'll do it cuz of the expense/time, so i can channel my dollars into something i want more.
-2003 YUKON (Wife's)
Old 01-25-2009, 08:24 AM   #10
special-K
Special Order

I know you already changed your mind,but for others as well...

I`m a rodder and I say don`t mess with perfection.We just had a truck someone found on Craiglist a guy attempted to chop,never finished,and is finding no one wants it.Sure,it`s your`s and you can do what you like.But,you`ve ruined it for everyone else and the future.Hack it up and keep it would be the only thing that makes sense to me.Customizing is making something suit "you".If you don`t want it forever I`d recommend,"don`t do it."
Look at a Vette that someone lared the wheel wells,added 3rd tailights,filled the hide aways,or put scoops tall over.How about`55 Chevy cars with cut-out rear wheel wellls or SS Camaros with 5 & dime snorkle hood scoops?
When a vehicle is popular because it stood the test of time,those who went "trendy" end up regretting it.We cuss guys who put sunroofs in trucks in the`70s or hacked GMC griles to put a tube grille in that rusts in two years.
The wise aproach is to do your thing while keeping the original intergity intact.Look at the trends that stand the test of time.Pro-touring style can change about everything original on a vehicle,yet appears to be what a factory might have done,especially if they built that vehicle today.That style came about by way of veteran builders looking for a way to go that holds up to time.At some oint,after altering ar from factory appearance you will find yourself looking at the vehicle and thinking it`s a bit silly.I`ve seen it time and again over the decades.That`s where my view comes from.It`s my opinion,but I`m confident at this point that I`m an objective guy and have also seen most who have been there would agree.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 01-25-2009 at 08:29 AM.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:37 AM   #11
bigsnookmaster

I say chop it if you want, but don't lean the top back,unless you want a plexiglass windshield. When you lean the top back you change the curve of the windshield opening, and glass doesn't bend! The real way to do it is to section the top in four pieces add the filler pieces and weld it back together a spot at a time to keep from warping. It's a long and pretty complicated process to do it right. As far as side glass, it's flat glass ,and if you make a template, any local glass shop should be able to cut it out of laminated glass for a lot less than $700! IOM the 67 is the only cab to chop,for the back glass will be about 6-1/2" tall and give it a "hotrod" look.The 68-72 window chopped,is still big, just a little shorter. NOW: for the record, I love these trucks and am not about hacking and destroying very nice trucks,rare, or highly optioned trucks! It's all about what you want, and you have to live with the decision. Here's a few pic's of my 67 short step,chopped 4",tubbed,tube chassis, and suicide doors.
Attached Images

bigsnookmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:21 AM   #12
crazy longhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsnookmaster View Post
I say chop it if you want, but don't lean the top back,unless you want a plexiglass windshield. When you lean the top back you change the curve of the windshield opening, and glass doesn't bend! The real way to do it is to section the top in four pieces add the filler pieces and weld it back together a spot at a time to keep from warping. It's a long and pretty complicated process to do it right. As far as side glass, it's flat glass ,and if you make a template, any local glass shop should be able to cut it out of laminated glass for a lot less than $700! IOM the 67 is the only cab to chop,for the back glass will be about 6-1/2" tall and give it a "hotrod" look.The 68-72 window chopped,is still big, just a little shorter. NOW: for the record, I love these trucks and am not about hacking and destroying very nice trucks,rare, or highly optioned trucks! It's all about what you want, and you have to live with the decision. Here's a few pic's of my 67 short step,chopped 4",tubbed,tube chassis, and suicide doors.
Sweet truck Greg! Also a bunch of good info on the glass(its not that expensive to cut flat safety sheet). If you open the webshots link, take a look at my old truck. Its a 4" chop, with the sheild layed back(no section). I am running a cutdown factory windsheild(took a little more fitting tho). The pinchweld had to be fitted to the glass, & not only was the glass cut across the top, but a tad off both sides also. It took a solid 60 hrs of my time to chop the top(up to primer), & a good 6 1/2 hrs to just cut that windsheild to size. I lost track of how many hrs on the belt sander after that. The windsheild will be the most expensive to cut out of all the glass, the rest is fairly simple for any glass shop. I did all my work, so I didnt see that expense. Total parts & material (up to primer, including front/rear glass & new seals was around $600. crazyL
Old 01-25-2009, 07:52 PM   #13
crazy longhorn

Come on guys, help this cat out......he wants custom.....let us help him "walk on the wild side"!If you are a patient man, with good welding skills.....I dare you to cut the top on that old truck! Comeone......show ALL us old cats what is all about crazyL
Old 01-25-2009, 09:47 PM   #14
Shane
Account Suspended

anyone can order a part out of a catalog, bolt it on and call it restored.

it takes real cojones to cut one up and put it back together correctly, mayne.

Last edited by Shane; 01-25-2009 at 09:48 PM.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:48 AM   #15
lofly'a

to tell you the truth, i have often struggled with 2 different approaches to my build. lay the windshield back 2" or stretch the cab 6" thru the doors. shane, special K, and crazy longhorn think like i do, chop it up and make it your own. nobody can talk me out of anything based on their opinion/preference, because it's my truck AND any "true custom" is based on trend setting, or a variation of such, not following trends. setting trends get your noticed for originality versus copying something you saw. i know there is a risk of non-acceptance, but i've been there done that too. i also understand that timeless modifications over "hip today ones" that become passe in a few years are risks too. regardless, of what i do to my ride it'll never get built anywhere close to stock. then it would be like "original", and that ain't me. my wife's daily driver is'nt stock.

i think the context of my original question (post title worded wrong) was either missleading or misunderstood. i wanted to know if anyone has seen this modification done and what do you think, proportion, etc...........again I digress.
-2003 YUKON (Wife's)
Old 01-26-2009, 01:11 AM   #16
oldiron
Designated Grumpy Old Man

Go with what your desires are. Just remember there is a too low.
Attached Images

oldiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:09 AM   #17
lofly'a

dats just fugly, IMO. remember, i was thinking about laying the windshield back 2", the total "chop" would only be 1.5", and would make the bottom of the back glass even with the side glass. i believe that this mod would only be detected by 67-72 saavy guys. dig the that triple wiper option in the above pic.
-2003 YUKON (Wife's)
Old 01-26-2009, 08:52 AM   #18
special-K
Special Order

HEY!!That`s my truck.I did it because I always wanted to be the first to go with triple wipers.I had to paint it Big Bird yellow so people would notice ater all that work.
Lofly`a,You got the right attitude.It`s not like these are rare bodies,either.When I post words like I did they are more for a general widespread consideration for all (from my perspective) and are worth about a grain of salt.Just more info for what it`s worth.
Here`s something I drew in the early`80s.Let the critisizing begin :

Tim

Old 01-26-2009, 12:33 PM   #19
sneakysnake
It's a catastrophic success.

I never cared for the cut the A piller and lay back the windshield look but I like a chopped top and on a slammed truck especially.
Attached Images

sneakysnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:04 PM   #20
Scott Webster
Sheetmetal Psycho

I dunno. I'm thinking of stretching the cab and doors. I think it will give it a chopped look, but with the same headroom and more leg room. Make it into whatever you want. That's what it's all about - making it your own.
Future mods: 67 front clip

Webby's Rigginations - where everything has potential!
Scott Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:24 AM   #21
brak

I've considered it quite a bit.

A while back LockDoc had a cab, which was already chopped, just sittin at his place waitin for some love... I still wish i had jumped on it when i had the chance

I think, like anything, a chop can look look sweet, but then again can destroy the truck (see yellow truck above ), depending how it's approached.

Below is a pic of my favorite truck i have seen on this site. notice the top

DC2 (SW/AW) Clyde W. Harvey USN

"Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery" Winston Churchill

Last edited by brak; 02-18-2009 at 05:31 PM.
brak is offline   Reply With Quote