The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-19-2009, 07:53 PM   #1
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

Media blasting $$$

What have others paid to have their tub media blasted? I would like to completely tear mine down and deliver it to a shop ready to be blasted inside and out, top and bottom. I might try to handle the fenders, hood and tailgate myself, still trying to decide. I would for sure take the tub and doors. Anybody done this recently? I got a ballpark price today from a guy down the road, but I want to see what y'all have to say first.

Check it out www.lsdyno.com
Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:19 PM   #2
Big J
Its lookin' like a Blazer!

Re: Media blasting $$$

I think I paid 250-300 to have all but the bedsides sandblasted on mine. Didn't want to chance warping on the sides.

My Build
Big J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:29 PM   #3
msgross

Find a good Industrial Trailer shop or something like that you can trust. They tend to be much cheaper than "auto body" guys...
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:07 PM   #4
lks dcvn

OK - here is how I did it (I like to save $ on stuff) - copied from a previous post of mine [12-14-07] but the theory is the same:

It really depends on location (competition) and the amount of work that they have. The blasting media is recycled so many times that it should really be the cost of the labor (and epoxy materials) that you are considering pricy.

When I had my car's undercarriage media blasted and then epoxied - I did some research to see if I could lower my price before I even got there.

As there wasn't much competition (only place in town) I needed to find a way to determine when his slow point was. I called a few times (for about 6-9 months - maybe once a month) to determine how soon after a quote could the work begin (just a phone call - not wasting their time). When they say 2-3 weeks - wait and call back until they say immediately - that means that they don't have much pending work and that equates to no money coming in. This also equates to 'haggle on the price'.

Also - if they are new to the area (which mine was) - I did some research and asked about referral or repeat business discounts - or how I could 'advertise' his work to other local car/truck/etc. so he could get more business his way. Like posting pix on a website or having a sign with my car at a show, etc.

My initial quote to have my car done (media blasted) dropped by $100s as the work time dropped - just to get the work (and the money) in the door. I also had the undercarriage sprayed in epoxy at the same time and that price also dropped a bit (but not as much due to the cost of materials).

I saved about $300-500 on my media blasting work doing this so if time is not an issue - check into it.

I also received a letter about a month or two later that offered me a 10% discount on my next project that I brought them to have done. There is no expiration date so I am waiting until I can do a whole truck/car at the same time and save some $.

I considered the amount of time it would have taken to have me lie on my back trying to get all the rust off for hours on end AND then have to coat it. It was money well spent and it will likely never rust again.

Good luck.
lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:26 PM   #5
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lks dcvn View Post
I called a few times (for about 6-9 months - maybe once a month) to determine how soon after a quote could the work begin
D@MN YOU ARE PATIENT! But I like your approach.

What media did they use, glass, sand, walnut shell, etc???

Old 02-19-2009, 10:21 PM   #6
Skirkpat

We have a local guy (K.C. MO)that won't touch a full car for less than a grand, he is the best, but charges for it, For a blazer tub I would assume pretty close to that, The people who reffered him to me restore and build Ferraris and campaign one in the Ferrari Challenge, They also build resto-mod mucle cars so this may be overkill...I do not know.
Skirkpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:38 PM   #7
72Levi

There is a process on craigslist that does it... this might help u

Wonderstrip, De-ruster, paint strip, Auto, Chevy, Ford (Temple, TX.)

Reply to: sale-1034437542@craigslist.org [?]
Date: 2009-02-14, 10:23AM CST

No more messy Sand Blasting.. non-acid process with proven results. We can safely strip Metal or Wood of paint and we can de-rust without diminishing the item. Non-Toxic, non-flammable, water soluable - all natural compounds with no electrolysis. No residue is left on metal or in seams; hence easy paint prep and no re-painting issues. EPA approved.
We are the Manufacturer and have the facilities to take care of your needs. Lawn furniture, wood furniture, hoods, doors, Bodies frames..Get it back like the day it was made. We also seeking Distibutors in TX. Contact: wonderstrip@gmail.com Give us a call for prices. In Temple; 254-773-2577 cell: 559-352-6860
2008 Buick Enclave AWD, Nav, & DVD, Wife LOVES it!
72Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:42 PM   #8
Skirkpat

Sherwin Williams sells a product that is water soluble and has a film that you put over it to "Cure" it works great even on undercoating, but for a large project, Media blasting is still the way to go.
Skirkpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:25 AM   #9
lks dcvn

They used Aluminum Oxide and glass beads and it turned out great...here are a few before and after pix...
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2009, 05:37 PM   #10
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

Looks nice!

The guy I talked to said they charge $100/hr and he would estimate my blazer to take 6-7 hours, that includes tub, front clip, and tailgate. Basically everything that is painted body color. Once again, that is with me taking him the tub and individual panels already stripped down of brackets, windows, trim etc. They would literally take it off my trailer and put it in the blasting booth. I know their quality of work plays into this equation, but would you guys say that is a decent price??? My initial thought was that it wouldn't take quite that long to do. Maybe I am wrong, maybe he is just over-estimating for my sake.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:45 PM   #11
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Nobody around here does it, all we get is SAND
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:47 PM   #12
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

I just bought a 54 basket case and took it to the sand blaster last Friday. To do the whole truck except the frame will be $600-700. That's the whole cab (inside & out,) four fenders, hood, all four parts of the bed, doors inside & out, grille (2 piece,) inner fenders, rad support, and all the little misc stuff. I may have forgotten some pieces, but basically the whole truck disassembled except frame and running gear. It's supposed to be ready this Monday.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:34 PM   #13
Critter
Future TOTM Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63 & 64 Bowties View Post
I just bought a 54 basket case and took it to the sand blaster last Friday. To do the whole truck except the frame will be $600-700. That's the whole cab (inside & out,) four fenders, hood, all four parts of the bed, doors inside & out, grille (2 piece,) inner fenders, rad support, and all the little misc stuff. I may have forgotten some pieces, but basically the whole truck disassembled except frame and running gear. It's supposed to be ready this Monday.
That's the info I am looking for. Do you know a $/hr rate or an estimated working time?

Old 02-20-2009, 07:43 PM   #14
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter View Post
That's the info I am looking for. Do you know a $/hr rate or an estimated working time?
I think he estimated 4 to 6 hours.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:25 PM   #15
msgross

My local powdercoat shop is $60/hr for items no larger than a bike frame. The guy I took mine to charged $375 for Cab, tailgate, bed crossmembers, 68 grille. Then another time I paid $225 for both 4wd axles, springs, crossmembers, rad support, and a box of other brackets.

We use Black Beauty Coal Slag which is like sand and leaves a rough finish. Other quoted me $200-400 just for the cab.
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:22 PM   #16
Musclerodz

Sounds about right and will vary depending on the condition of the parts you are having done. Prices here are $65-$100 hour depending on media
Old 02-20-2009, 09:45 PM   #17
lks dcvn

Sounds high - but obviously - locations will vary in price.

Good luck - get plenty of before and after pix if you do it.