The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2009, 04:07 PM   #1
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Wipers and Fuel Injection

Playing around with my '83....I was wondering why the PO let the washer bottle go dry. So I filled it. Switched the wipers on and the damned thing started pumping and wouldn't stop until I either turned off the wipers, or pulled the supply hose.

Tried again today. All I really accomplished is climbing my fat butt into the engine compartment, breaking the plastic grommet for the air cond. tube that attaches to the radiator shroud, then losing the vice grips down in the jumble of wires around the dist.

Once I pulled myself out of the engine room, got a "grabber" from the tool box. Went back and broke off the passenger washer nozzle, which promptly fell into the cowl. Went and got the "magnet on a stick" and shoved it down there. No nozzle. It's in the heater somewhere. No doubt it'll show up in my eye socket the first time I turn on the air conditioning.

Or maybe it will suck itself into the intake some how and bend a valve.

All in all, a good truck day.

Anyone know why the washer wants to give me a shower full time? After the nice time I hjad today, I';m probably gonna be happy to use a Windex bottle. I think I better make sure the truck is stopped while I clean the windows, or I may be writing another one of these "I'm Stupid" posts.

As a side issue, I bought a Holly FI set up today. The guy says it sits on the 4Bbl intake manifold. I figure I'll have to install an electric fuel pump. Anybody used one of these set ups?
Attached Images

But always a rat.

Last edited by magwakeenercew2jh; 03-11-2009 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Stupidity
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:23 PM   #2
heavychevy79
Cheyenne Super

Re: Wipers and Fuel Injection

I hate to be the one telling you this, but I think the problem is inside, it sounds like the wiper switch is stuck in, or shorted out.
But I guess that dependes on weather you have the washer pump on the motor or in the tank.
But I've never seen those on the wiper motor get stuck on, they usually don't
work at all.
heavychevy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 07:00 PM   #3
magwakeenercew2jh
RAT1968 '68 Cab/'71 Parts

Re: Wipers and Fuel Injection

The pump is on the fire wall above where the steering comes thru. There are two sets of wires on two plugs that come out of a loom. The "simple" one with a light color and black connector has some big prongs and one of those two wires is always hot. At least all the time the ignition is on.

I was going to change out the whole pump. That would be a bummer if it's the switch, instead. Since the wipers work, I guess the best bet is still to just "run what I brung", and wash the windows at the gas station.

By the way, I hope all this spaghetti will be gone by the end of this weekend.
Thanks for the reply.
Attached Images

But always a rat.
magwakeenercew2jh is offline   Reply With Quote