The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-19-2009, 03:04 PM   #1
gferris5

Gas Tank Vent tube.

Hey Gang~
I need some basic knowledge here. Warning: looking for a quick but safe fix. Safety first, of course.

I just moved my gas tank to under the bed and I need to finish plumbing it up. My question is: aside from getting a filler neck assembly from a junkyard, can I just run a tube into a filter or something up above the level of the gas tank to get the gas pump to shut-off automatically and not dump fuel onto the ground ( )?

Right now I have a fuel filler hose (60 bucks WTF!) to a neat filler neck from the marine supply store, but there is an open fitting on the tank that normally vents back into the filler neck, but I'm wondering: can I do something else?

The basic thing here is that I'm short on time, so i'm trying to avoid a trip to the junk yard to pick up a filler neck from a donor car . Okay, fine, I guess the question really is, what is the minimum thing I can do?

I already have the one way check valve plumbed in to let air in as fuel is vacuumed out by the fuel pump (got this from a motorcycle shop), so at least that is legit.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by gferris5; 03-19-2009 at 03:05 PM.
gferris5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 05:21 PM   #2
michael bustamante

Re: Gas Tank Vent tube.

Im interestedin this too gang, I need the knowledge!
Old 03-19-2009, 07:24 PM   #3
John Fabris
TOTY 2006

With my setup, I ran the vent tube into an elbow that I welded into the neck of the marine filler. This way, I have a sealed system and the vent is only for outgoing air during a fillup. I am running the vacumn vent on the top of the tank. Short term, you can either run the vent open up the to top of the bed rail or close the vent up and just know that you may have slow filling problems.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:37 PM   #4
mr48chev

That should work to keep the tank from burping when you fill it. I'd try to get the tank vent as high possible though as they tend to leak gas when you fill the tank clear up if they aren't. If possible I think I'd run the tank vent line right up alongside the filler neck with a small filter on top. Or run a vented cap like the truck had to begin with.

In an earlier thread I suggested running a line to the front and using the charcoal cansister out of a later model to vent the tank. It would take a bit of line but should get rid of fumes around the back of the truck when it sits on a hot day and all in all might be a bit safer.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:09 AM   #5
gferris5

Great! Thanks for the tips gang. I think for today I will just run a line up and secure it near the top of the bed rail with a pigtail or two in it just to make it more difficult for fuel to get out. Later, with a little more time I think I might try the vacuum canister idea. Cause I'm a hippy. sort of.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:34 PM   #6
gferris5

Ha! Just an update here: You can't just plug up the vents and think you can just fill it up slow! OOPS! Ask me how I know!!
Old 03-23-2009, 12:08 AM   #7
Gray Ghost

Yep, I am going to have to add the other two vent lines [my tank has three]. Fillups are painfully slow with a huge burp at the end. I was going to run the new vents today but ran out of steam after the radiator swap.

Defintely run as many vents as you have outlets for. I ran mine up into the bedside near the rear stake pocket...works great, just need both the other ones to boot.

Last edited by Gray Ghost; 03-23-2009 at 07:49 AM.
Gray Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote