The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2009, 03:04 PM   #1
BATurbo

Frame Flex Reduction

I've got my 70 C-10 frame on the rotiserre right now and when I go to rotate the frame upside down, I can see a fair bit of twisting flex going front to back. Does anyone have any past experiences with stiffening the frame so the flex goes away? I'm just starting to go back through this truck from the ground up and I'm leaning toward boxing the frame, but I don't know if I should add additional frame members before completing the frame boxing. Any info would be appreciated.
BATurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 04:11 PM   #2
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Re: Frame Flex Reduction

Boxing will do a lot for you as far as fixing flex. Extra crossmembers, unless well engineered and really required for mounting something , really just add weight w/o doing much else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:11 PM   #3
BATurbo

I appreciate the input. I've been doing a little research as to what direction I'm going to go with this. I'm flip-flopping between boxing the rails front to back or just in strategic areas. Do you have any thoughts as to what spots along a frame rail can I leave open and where I should box it in?

I'm planning on putting a torque on the frame along the long axis as it sits on the rotissere and then zero-in on where the flex is happening. Then mark the spot and box a 12" section and see if the flex goes away. This would minimize the weight addition, if it works. Let me know what your thoughts are on this idea.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:32 AM   #4
fine69

Your frame is supposed to flex.

Board member #6

fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:02 AM   #5
4x4Poet

It's a mandrel-bent, C-channel ladder frame with riveted and bolted in crosssmembers, so it will flex by inferior design (compared to superior cut & welded box-tube, for one). But the frame is meant to work together with the body mounts and body affixed. Meaning the frame flex is lessoned & tolerable with the body mounted. Poly body mounts further reduce frame flex over rubber. Energy Suspension makes a graphite-impregnated set with all hardware but bolts for less than just OEM rubber mounts cost.

That said, the front, riveted crossmember between the engine and the end of the front frame horns is notorious for have worn rivets and wallowed out rivet holes. Probably occurs because of engine weight and suspension flex stress.

Anyway, one can grind/chisel off the rivets, check the frame holes for roundness (weld & redrill as necessary), and bolt in that xmember for reduced flex and greater strength. Of course, use grade 5 or better bolts and nuts/washers. Be sure the bolt size fits the frame holes near perfectly. I've seen the bolted in xmember also welded in with just a few short beads on each side.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:08 AM   #6
kwplot34

I would not worry to much about a bare frame flexing,and as sated above,the frame needs some flex in it.
kwplot34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:45 AM   #7
70cst

I would think if the frame didn't flex at all it would not ride nor handle as well...but then again what do I know?

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:31 PM   #8
BATurbo

Thanks a bunch for the input. I don't want to make a bunch of work for myself if I don't need to, but, my long term plan for this truck is to eventually add a twin-turbocharged SBC that will have the capability of 1000+ hp, (Gale Banks - Bolt on kit). The frame stiffening is more for strengthening the frame to support the added power. I've seen the "Copperhead" truck that Stacy David built on the TV show "Trucks" a few years ago and I remember David saying that the 572 BBC he put in that truck was good for 600+ Hp and that the frame didn't need to be modified as it was strong enough to support that power level. I'm not sure of how much power the frame can handle without mods. Now that I have the bare frame to work on, I'd much rather add some strength now then wait till later and have to tear the truck apart to fix any problems.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:21 PM   #9
SCOTI

Are all of the required crossmembers in & tight? If not, I would install them before measuring the frames flex. If they are installed & the flex you mentioned was still there, please do share your findings on the affects of adding the '12" sections'.

I've been curious about this as well. I modified part of the back of a frame so that area was boxed + reinforced. The frame was also cut from a lwb to swb & I was going to box + reinforce some more under the cab. Once I got to looking @ things, it's hard to determine when (where) to stop.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 02:05 PM   #10
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I don't agree with boxing sections of frames. In my opinion, either box it front to rear or not at all.

Here is why...The unboxed areas will continue to flex while the boxed sections won't. This localizes a lot of stress on the frame at the ends of the boxed sections, leading to cracking.

In my opinion, a frame should flex. Think of skyscrapers and bridges, if they didn't flex, they would break. The engineers who design these things know a lot more than I do.

Besides, when has anyone heard of a sound frame under one of these trucks failing due to horsepower ? All you're going to do is break tire traction anyway. A 1000 horsepower burnout is the same as a 250 horsepower burnout. The tires are spinning all the same. If you intend to actually hook up 1000 horsepower, you've got significant frame and suspension mods in your future anyway.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:32 PM   #11
SCOTI

I boxed the one section on my frame to offer additional support. My boxing plate was added under the lip of the frame rails to act like an I-beam would vs. a plate welded flush to the outside edge. It should offer more support then if not there @ all (frame splice). I also plated the inside & outside of the frame rail itself in the affected area. Overkill . . .....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote