The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-07-2009, 12:17 PM   #1
crites_72

lt1 question

ok i have a chance to buy an lt1 out of a 97 camaro. it doesnt come with an intake or dist. or water pump. my question is has anyone put a carb on one? how much trouble is it? what it will take? and how will it run? i was going to big block the truck but this is a good buy. thanks in advance.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:12 PM   #2
mike nutt
69fatmotor

Re: lt1 question

gm performance parts sells an intake that takes a carb and run a smallblock distibutor for the lt1.
mike nutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:47 PM   #3
Elephanthead

What mike said, you will also need an lt1 water pump, timing cover, and a cover to cover up the old optispark hole. Alternately you could buy a used wiring harness and used or remanufactured computer, or painless sells the computer and harness new, big bucks, and run fuel injection. This swap is kinda a pain if your looking to save money, but it may be the cheapest way to get 400hp or 300hp without doing anything. These engines seem to last a long time. Summit sells the intake you need for 250 bucks. If you want to really ghetto it up, you can drill holes in any intake and get them to work. No coolant runs through the intake. Intake bolts are at a different angle from a gen I SBC.
Elephanthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:37 AM   #4
crites_72

i know these are all probably dumb questions but i've never messed with anything but a first gen motor. so it has to be a water pump for a lt1? does the dist. have to be for an an lt1? will i need different motor mounts? will it run good as a carb. motor? thanks guys.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:58 AM   #5
mike nutt
69fatmotor

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...2&autoview=sku this is the intake for the lt1 . it has the hole in the rear for an old type distibutor out of a smallblock (hei ,point type , msd , etc...) you will also have to plug the hole where the lt1 distributor used to go. summit also sells that piece.you will have to use the water pump for the lt1 , the cooling sytem on the lt1 is a lot like the coolng sytem on the ls1 , a lot better than the old small block .the factory aluminum heads are great heads with a litte port and polish also. the lt1 has the exact same motor mount holes in the block as the old smallblock , so its a direct bolt in.
mike nutt is offline   Reply With Quote