The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-30-2009, 10:05 AM   #26
Skirkpat

Re: People wanting to buy your truck

I bought my first car by asking how much....I was at a garage sale this lady had stuff piled all over an old red car, asked her how much for it? I drove off in a 1969 Camaro Convertible rebuilt 350 and 4 brand new bias ply radials...for 650.00, I learned how to drive a stick in thier drive...man that one wheel was easy to spin

oh, and a 2001 HD 2500, 8.1 Allison Shortbed 4 Door

Last edited by Skirkpat; 07-30-2009 at 10:06 AM. Reason: spelling
Skirkpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:11 AM   #27
stingray72
Red Headed Step Child

I get asked about mine quite often

Them: "Nice truck, is it for sale??"
Me: "Sure, make me an offer" (it's not really for sale, too sentimental)
Them: "I don't want to insult you"
Me: "You won't insult me, I'll just say "NO""

And the conversation usually ends

-Homer Simpson
stingray72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:30 AM   #28
ll____b0t____ll

I understand this , My truck is far from done and far from a show queen but im like 95% done with the engine so I got a lot of money and time invested already and just the wheels alone cost more than what most offer.

Im probably not as nice as some people here about dealing with this menace..call it the Bipolar or cuz im a @$#% but Im just not good about being polite when my feathers get ruffled.

Lets face it Ill never get out what I putt into my truck I know that but thats ok cuz shes for me not you so I keep an accurate account of all the parts and the cost and I know you can by a truck on Ebay in better condition overall for less than what I have invested.

Ive had a guy park next to me and come out to look at my truck and I dont mind that, thats how you meet like minded people but this guy....breath in .....breath out ... ok back to what I was saying he comes over and while looking he has to kick my my tire.
Not a huge problem right...well he got a little rim and had somthing hard on his shoe and scratched my new rim . . . . . . He didnt even notice but I sure did so after he looked my truck over and offered me $1,200 for it I walked around his truck and kicked his valve right off his rim said no thanks and drove off!

Ive had people who tell me the older it is the less its worth.
Ive had , it aint even got power steering ill give you $500 for it.
I had a guy with a freshly restored 67 chevelle ss396 offer me a $1,000 for it so I said tell ya what lets race um and if you win you can have my truck for $1,000 and if I win I get the chevelle for $1,000.....he didnt go for it..

Ive heard the sob storys,,, my daddy had one just like it and hes dieing of cancer and if youd just sale me that one for cheap I could make his dieing wish come true.

So I can only imagine what you guys with much better looking trucks must go through maybe we should all be trying to get a specialty plate that says Nt4cel
ll____b0t____ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:48 AM   #29
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

Nobody ever offers to buy my truck...nobody even asks about it...LOL! I am guessing there are just too many of them out here. Whenever I do see a nicely maintained or restored truck however I always compliment the driver.
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 03:21 PM   #30
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I figured out how to keep them from bothering me without being rude.Actually they usually change the subject.When they ask how much I want for my truck I tell them
"You start counting money into my hand.When you get done I will either give you a ride or the keys."
I have yet to have anyone pull out their wallet.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 03:35 PM   #31
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
"You start counting money into my hand.When you get done I will either give you a ride or the keys."
I'll have to remember that one.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...

Last edited by chevy_mike; 07-30-2009 at 03:36 PM.
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 04:05 PM   #32
MisterE72
Keep Your Nose Clean

I can't say I blame anyone for wanting to pay less than more for one of these trucks. That bieng said: 1) no one should insult us for our asking price...look if its too much ..then go kick rocks. 2) we know how much work, money, and time it takes to build one of these when its done right. If the buyer is expecting to pay between 5K and 8K, then it probably means its got another 10K and 12K left to put into it. Don't let them get under your skin Mike.Thats my $0.02.

Last edited by MisterE72; 07-30-2009 at 04:08 PM.
MisterE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 04:27 PM   #33
Legend56BC

Funny you talking about this I race a 72 Chevy street stock truck and get told in the pits a few times how I wrecked a nice pickup truck! I just laugh and state you wouldn't want any of the body parts on this truck and yes it was what everyone calls a basket case case when I got it....they look at me like I am lying to them"69GMC forever" will vouch on this one.Then in my 68 GMC 910 fleetside that my daughter bought 7 years ago and I bought from her so she could afford college I get is it for sale all the time at local gas stations and mall parking lots,I say no it's not for sale so if your interested you have to make it real good because I have no need to let it go."That stops the crap from them right away"They usually go into I had one of those back in the day story then walk away..... If any joker off the street puffs up his/her chest and asks if it is for sale just make this comment so as not to get pissed by some jerk.......................... "What is your highest cash offer right now" and do you have the cash to back it up?
Stops them dead in there tracks.....
Legend56BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:10 PM   #34
lbrtzmr
odes 72

a guy offered my 9k what was his problem????
Attached Images

Old 07-30-2009, 08:56 PM   #35
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
I figured out how to keep them from bothering me without being rude.Actually they usually change the subject.When they ask how much I want for my truck I tell them
Doesn't the foil beanie usually scare them away?
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 10:41 PM   #36
bikertim

Some people really just don't have clue what it costs to build a beautiful truck! You may see one for sale that looks nice on the outside for $9,000 -- so thats all your show truck is worth is $9,000 even though you have $25-40K in it, and you just finished it! "I can buy one just like it for $9,000!" Ive heard it all -- at least I hope i have because I hate to hear worse crap!

I had a guy try and buy my old 1970 about 10 years ago -- asked how much -- I said its not for sale -- he said everything has a price -- I said $5,000 (it was a solid longbed on blocks at the time -- in the middle of a mild restoration) -- and he told me I was crazy and it wasn't worth it! Some people just don't get it!

In reality -- how can you put a price on the hard work and determination you put in a truck? Mine, like many of yours I am sure -- I have had 20 years -- bought 6 months after I got married -- my son actually came home from the hospital in old torqouse!

Hopefully will be driving next summer -- tried to add a couple of pics not sure if it went through. First picture -- after moving from Texas 7 years ago -- was daily driver (when not on the Harley) and the last one is kind if the way it is now -- after replacing cab supports -- inner and outer rockers, cab corners, cowl hood. Right now has 454 -- turbo 400 -- thinking long term of 350 (possibly ZZ4) and OD transmission installation so I can us it as more of a daily driver (I drive quit a bit for work) and 4 wheel disc brakes.
Attached Images

Last edited by bikertim; 07-30-2009 at 10:51 PM. Reason: Picture
bikertim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:23 AM   #37
hotrod 80
mini truck racer

Well my story took a different direction . I was filling up at the gas station and a guy walks up with the usual "my grandfather had one just like it" story . I talked with him while pumping gas . The guy says "what would you take for it ?" . I pause and say id have to have $7500 cash ( i had $5800 in it ) . Guy ask me for a number ( super nice fellow ). I give him my number thinking i'll never hear from him again . Get a call next day to meet him at the court house at 2:00 . Paid me cash right there . The truck really wasn't for sale .
1978 Chevy Luv Blue
1976 Chevy Luv Black
1979 Firebird Flooded in Harvey
1999 F350 Dually
2005 GMC Sierra 4.8 RCSB
2014 Explorer (wifes)

My build :http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=399148

Build #2: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=653583
hotrod 80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 05:51 AM   #38
sick69

[QUOTE=67ChevyRedneck;3437297]When I get asked, I just say "You couldn't afford it."
QUOTE]

I have always done the same,,,, It ussually pi$$e$ them off enough they leave me alone.

Frank
sick69 is offline   Reply With Quote