The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-01-2009, 01:10 PM   #1
gcart2

Hey guys

Hey how you doin?

Im sixteen and have recently quit racing motocross. I work for a trucking company that is a good little ride from where i call home. Everyday on my way to work i drive by this truck sitting in a "antique car dealership". I fell in love.

Its a 1972 c 10, 350/350 with custom paint and a few aftermarket goodies. i was told it had aftermarket power steering, disk front brakes, and ac (that does not work??). they want 7.

However i have looked at the truck a few times and found a couple bad things;
undercarriage has surface rust. cant tell how bad due to the fact they sprayed flat black paint over it.
Window seals are cracked and will need to be replaced.

sorry pics were takin from cell phone.

Attached Images

gcart2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 02:15 PM   #2
gcart2

Re: Hey guys

i guess you guys dont appreciate a youngin looking for a more mature hobby.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:17 PM   #3
bean

in my opinion that's too much. the rust issues should be a concern if they've been painted over. once again it's just my opinion.
bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 02:29 PM   #4
cparman
sharp as a marble

I personally think it is great that you have an interest in old cars/trucks. My advise is to talk to your parents, and see if they know someone that has experience with owning/working on older vehicles. The issue of rust will be the deciding factor as to whether or not the price is good or bad. I suggest you have the truck inspected by someone your family knows and trusts. When I was 16 yrs old 7 grand was all the money in the world, and do not want you to get taken advantage of because of your age or experience.
You need to have the truck put up in the air on a lift, and have your expert look carefully to inspect this truck. If the current owner will not agree to this, You need to move on and look further. I bet there wil be a bunch of response to your post later today, when all the rest of the old folks get done with their chores. I have loved GM cars and trucks all my 53 yrs of life. I think that the cars made in this country between 1950 - 1975 are the ones that will always be collectible!

Last edited by cparman; 08-01-2009 at 02:30 PM.
cparman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 02:44 PM   #5
gcart2

i see what your saying. i plan on having one of the guys from our local peterbilt body shop guys go look at it with me.

i have 6000 now sitting aside for my next "hobby". I have a different bank account for gas, insurance, etc. that i will not use on this truck and i use for my daily driver.

I am a pretty skilled painter ( wouldn't trust myself on body but i would love to paint the undercarriage) and a hell of a mechanic.

Last edited by gcart2; 08-01-2009 at 02:45 PM.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:57 PM   #6
cparman
sharp as a marble

Back in the Day I had no patience. Be smart, and do not get in a hurry. You will find the right truck for you.
cparman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:06 PM   #7
gcart2

haha. okay. like i said i fell in love. i think if i could talk em down it would be pretty good. i would like to tear it down to the frame and do a restoration.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:13 PM   #8
GruntMoanCough

Welcome gcart2!
Even some of the really old folks appreciate a young feller interested in an immature (ask any of the wives ) hobby.
Like cparman says, be patient and have some one local to help you with a purchase.
As far as the truck that caught your eye, seems to me like a "3 dressed up as a 9".
Good luck!
Old 08-01-2009, 03:23 PM   #9
bigguy69
dazed and confused

i would always try to sleep on it. those "i fell in love" buys can sometimes come back to haunt you. trust me i know from experiance.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:27 PM   #10
extd56

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcart2 View Post
Hey how you doin?

Im sixteen and have recently quit racing motocross. I work for a trucking company that is a good little ride from where i call home. Everyday on my way to work i drive by this truck sitting in a "antique car dealership". I fell in love.

Its a 1972 c 10, 350/350 with custom paint and a few aftermarket goodies. i was told it had aftermarket power steering, disk front brakes, and ac (that does not work??). they want 7.

However i have looked at the truck a few times and found a couple bad things;
undercarriage has surface rust. cant tell how bad due to the fact they sprayed flat black paint over it.
Window seals are cracked and will need to be replaced.

sorry pics were takin from cell phone.

That year truck came from the factory with available power steering and power brakes and A/C was also available. All of the 71-72 trucks that I know of had front disc brakes. See if there is a SPID option sheet on the inside of the glovebox and if it is there it will show all the options. Also if you get the vin number we can tell you if it was originally a V-8 truck or a 6. Hope this helps.
extd56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 07:37 PM   #11
70Custom10Nut

Be very careful my starry eyed friend. Some one can gold plate a pile of dog doo and make it look nice and shiny, but in the end you still have the pile you started with. You are a very observant young man with picking out a lot of indicators of a cover up paint job. Ask this dealer who did the work or who the previous owner was. Have your friend put another set of eyes over the whole truck. Lastly I agree with all the advice given above. Don't let a salesman tell you about the "special options". As I said, go look at it with your friend and Get the rundown on all the special options the truck has, and post them here,and with all the knowledge out there. you'll find out the truth in what you're being told. Cnut
70Custom10Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:08 PM   #12
Botietruck
'71 chevy s.bed/s.side

Just a few areas to watch out for that are common "rust" problem areas:
-all 4 cab mount areas
- rear cab corners
- door bottoms
-rocker panels
-lower front & rear areas of front fenders
-cowl area just below windshield (under wiper cowl)
- roof gutter area
- inside cab roof in corners at sun visors
-floor pans where rockers meet at lower door area
-right & left kick panel area
-bed floor...and any other area of the bed.

These are common areas that we've all seen from time to time that rust out. We certainly don't want to discourage you from buying this truck, or any other truck for that matter. We just want you to take your time and carefully inspect whatever vehicle you buy. You can bet that if there's any amount of rust showing on the outside, there will be more hidden on the inside. It's all repairable, it just depends on how far you want to go with it.
Good luck and keep us posted on your decision.
Botietruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:16 PM   #13
QKENUF4U

post your pics over on www.photobucket.com and link them here and we will be able to see big pics..
as for the truck, what little pic i can see it looks pretty sweet but like guys said paint can make a turd look pretty....
QKENUF4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:25 PM   #14
Todd327

Pass. You wanted a hobby right? Get a cheap C-10 that has not been re-done so you can honestly see where the rust is. With sweat equity and parts scrounging and maybe a donor truck you can build something where you know the rust has been cut out and patch panels installed. There are plenty of guys on here that rebuilt a really great truck for less than 7 grand. Getting there is half the fun!
Todd327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:34 PM   #15
big mike71

If a dealer is asking 7k he probably has less than 4k in it offer $4500 and see what he says. Take your folks with you they would get a better deal than a young person like yourself.
big mike71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:55 PM   #16
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

WELCOME!!! Replies sometimes take a few hours since many here work on weekends or have "Honey-Do's" or such as myself spend the weekends working on,looking at or searching for parts.
Take a refrigerator magnet with you.The kind that are business cards.Try to stick it to the rockers,the bottom of the doors,the front fender below the sidemarker light,the cab above the windshield, and any areas that seem a little wavy or distorted.It's a great way to find body filler which covers up bad spots.The magnet will not stick to the plastic body filler but will stick to metal.
The paint and bodywork aspect of restoration is the most costly(usually) and can make or break a project.It's also always cheaper to pay a little more for a good body than to buy cheap and replace most of it.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"

Last edited by PanelDeland; 08-01-2009 at 08:56 PM.
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:05 PM   #17
hugger6933

Good luck, talk them down. 5-7g is a lot to pay for a truck that you are gonna do a frame up on. I would suggest that you don't try a frame up on your first truck [or car] because you could get it torn down a get overwhelmed and have trouble getting it back together. That is not an age thing I have seen it from all ages. If you don't buy that truck find another that is a ride and drive or as close to that as you can afford. Do small updates and projects on it as time and money allow. such as HEI, Tilt. 4 barrel and alum. intake. headers, dual exhuast. The less time the truck is down the more you can drive and enjoy. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:18 PM   #18
ed2552

Welcome man!!! I'm 17, and I know how you feel. When i was 13, i bought a 67 K10 because I fell in love with these trucks, and TV made everything look easy. I then started working on the truck, and discovered what a PITA they can be, especially when they have the amount of rust mine does. That truck is now more than likely to be sold, as I found a nice, clean 67 C20 on a local auction and bought that in late April.

My advice for you: Find the cleanest, most original truck you can find, and get that as a base. Get it running good, and go from there. It's a lot easier to start with a blank canvas than it is to try and modify another person's vision of what that truck should be. You'll have more tied up in the second truck, and you still probably won't be as happy, since you didn't do the work yourself.
'65 C60 292, 4 spd, 2 spd Rearend, 15' Grain Box, MINT!
09 Yukon Denali 82k Miles 6.2L/6A
ed2552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:19 PM   #19
landsurvey1

Check out the thread, " New Truck 69 C-10." He just paid $ 4500.00 for his and it looks too be a really nice truck. Just something to compare, good luck.
landsurvey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:29 PM   #20
jojo
printing is my trade

Quote:
Originally Posted by landsurvey1 View Post
Check out the thread, " New Truck 69 C-10." He just paid $ 4500.00 for his and it looks too be a really nice truck. Just something to compare, good luck.
Good Point! Wait a little bit. Don't let that money burn a hole in your pocket.

7k or even 6k sounds like too much for hidden rust issues.

The right truck will come along at the right time.

It might be more fun to find a solid starter for 2k-3k and use the remaining dollars to invest into your project.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:36 PM   #21
Skirkpat

you can get a really nice truck for 7,000 these days...I would look around, usually on here there are some deals.

oh, and a 2001 HD 2500, 8.1 Allison Shortbed 4 Door
Skirkpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:54 PM   #22
mclairmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcart2 View Post
haha. okay. like i said i fell in love. i think if i could talk em down it would be pretty good. i would like to tear it down to the frame and do a restoration.
If you are going to "tear it down to the frame and do a restoration" then this is the wrong truck for you. Don't pay $7,000 or even close to that if you are just going to tear it all apart. $7,000 should be a for a good rust free driver that requires just some finishing touches. I paid $1,500 for a rust free 68 C10 longbed that ran well, once I fixed the choke. I will get the running gear and suspension 100% and slowly work on cosmetics. I can restore my entire truck for less than $7,000 since I can paint it myself and I can weld. $7,000 for hidden rust is just too much. Follow the advice here and above and you will be better off. Find something with the best body you can find and no or little rust. Forget about the drivetrain since you can tackle the mechanical stuff. Paint and body is what will kill you and your wallet if you have to fix rust and replace panels.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:57 PM   #23
ed2552

I agree with these guys. We paid just over $1300 with title and all that crap from a consignment auction for the C20 (my avatar) and I put about $150 into parts and it runs and drives great. Don't spend too much money. There'll always be a better deal the week after you buy this truck.
'65 C60 292, 4 spd, 2 spd Rearend, 15' Grain Box, MINT!
09 Yukon Denali 82k Miles 6.2L/6A
ed2552 is offline   Reply With Quote