The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-03-2009, 01:05 AM   #1
texasfunk

rear suspension questions on my 87

well, im playing with the idea of baggin the truck, not ridiculouse low, but my springs are shot all around, and figured, might as well, i was wondering though, will a bolt in 4 link work with my gas tanks? or, can i use a simple 2-link using original front mounting points from the leafs(pictured below) my ? abt the 2 link tho, is how does it flex? i know there has to be some movement for going up driveways and such, and what about pinion angle? with a 2 link wont it constantly change, and only make my axle go in an arch? which means possibly pulling the driveshaft out or pushing it in too far, it seems simple, and easier then a 4link, but im not sure, any help? thanx!

texasfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 04:14 AM   #2
andrewmp6

Re: rear suspension questions on my 87

Your best bet i know of is http://www.ridetech.com/products/Che...r-814-929.html or have something made for you.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:27 AM   #3
justpball

yea if you have 2000.00 just laying around... I am curious about this as well, has anyone here used a 2 link?

87 Crew SWB
Build for the crew
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=430082

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3232925
90 burb 2wd

Build Thread For The Burb!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=383055
justpball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:54 AM   #4
SCOTI

A 24" 2-link set-up like what's pictured w/have about 12° of pinion angle change just within the 'normal' range of 4" travel (2" up; 2" down). Not very good if you're planning to put a bunch of miles on the truck. Show grounds only limited cruiser? They'll work.... but a 4-bar would be best.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 08-04-2009 at 09:56 AM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:49 AM   #5
smashingchuck
It'd be alot cooler if you did

You basically outlined all the terrible qualities a two link has to offer in your first post.... why do you still want one? Use a four link, You'll be happy you did.

4Runner Build
smashingchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:35 PM   #6
texasfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
A 24" 2-link set-up like what's pictured w/have about 12° of pinion angle change just within the 'normal' range of 4" travel (2" up; 2" down). Not very good if you're planning to put a bunch of miles on the truck. Show grounds only limited cruiser? They'll work.... but a 4-bar would be best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingchuck View Post
You basically outlined all the terrible qualities a two link has to offer in your first post.... why do you still want one? Use a four link, You'll be happy you did.
yea, i just didnt know if there was something i wasnt seeing in the pic or not, fig it'd be easier, but i drive my truck everyday! what would be a cheap, but reliable 4 link, that wont make me lose my gas tanks?
Old 08-06-2009, 11:50 PM   #7
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfunk View Post
yea, i just didnt know if there was something i wasnt seeing in the pic or not, fig it'd be easier, but i drive my truck everyday! what would be a cheap, but reliable 4 link, that wont make me lose my gas tanks?
How low are you wanting to get?

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:58 PM   #8
texasfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterbuilt View Post
How low are you wanting to get?
i wanted to lay frme, but too much work, right now all the springs are melted on my truck, and i was goingt o fix, but figure id upgrade, i want to go as low as possible, wthout doing any MAJOR work,
Old 08-07-2009, 12:28 AM   #9
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
i wanted to lay frme, but too much work, right now all the springs are melted on my truck, and i was goingt o fix, but figure id upgrade, i want to go as low as possible, wthout doing any MAJOR work,
If you intend to "lay frame" down the road, then it will be best to incorporate parts that you don't have to throw away later... that way you don't waste any coin.

Are you wanting to put a four-link on it now with bags and a notch? What height do you plan on having it ride at? Will the ride height for now be different than later on when you decide to lower it more? You can see where I am going with these questions... it may be easier to roll like it is right now, and save the money to do the rear at once. That way, you don't have to re-do any of the work, or re-spend any money!

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Old 08-07-2009, 12:31 AM   #10
texasfunk

Quote:
If you intend to "lay frame" down the road, then it will be best to incorporate parts that you don't have to throw away later... that way you don't waste any coin.

Are you wanting to put a four-link on it now with bags and a notch? What height do you plan on having it ride at? Will the ride height for now be different than later on when you decide to lower it more? You can see where I am going with these questions... it may be easier to roll like it is right now, and save the money to do the rear at once. That way, you don't have to re-do any of the work, or re-spend any money!
i get ya! this truck i want mostly stock, later im going to buy another and lay frame, on this one, i dont want to cut the bed, maybe just have a notch from a flip kit, and the lowest would be the rearend setting in the rails, and ride height would be about what it is now, all im really looking for, is to make it comfortable again, the ride is way to rough,
Old 08-07-2009, 12:35 AM   #11
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
i get ya! this truck i want mostly stock, later im going to buy another and lay frame, on this one, i dont want to cut the bed, maybe just have a notch from a flip kit, and the lowest would be the rearend setting in the rails, and ride height would be about what it is now, all im really looking for, is to make it comfortable again, the ride is way to rough,
N2TRUX has some good pics of an air-over leaf set-up he installed on his square body (he since changed to a complete ART kit). The air over leaf is a very simple and practical method. You can remove some leaves and use the air spring to make up the difference, and allow you to tweak the height a bit. That might be the perfect set-up for what you want to accomplish!

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Old 08-07-2009, 12:42 AM   #12
texasfunk

Quote:
N2TRUX has some good pics of an air-over leaf set-up he installed on his square body (he since changed to a complete ART kit). The air over leaf is a very simple and practical method. You can remove some leaves and use the air spring to make up the difference, and allow you to tweak the height a bit. That might be the perfect set-up for what you want to accomplish!
sweet, i'll check into that, my truck sits very low, has a 5inch drop in back, has all leafs, its all melted spings! should i replace the leafs? or just add the bags and notch?

heres the truck now, all of it is melted springs beside 2inch shackles in back, but i guess it was enough, the springs are melted and bent at the shackle, and the frames sets right on the axle, and in the front the springs are melted, can i add shims to straighten the wheels? or would i be better off getting lowering spindles when i add bags to the front, and one more ?, where can i get a cheap, but reliable ar managments system, bags, and brackets, someone mention airbagit, but another said it was a waste of money, any ideas? thanx again guys for the help

Last edited by texasfunk; 08-07-2009 at 12:53 AM.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:46 AM   #13
smashingchuck

Alright....

for the front I'd run some plates up front and and some 3" drop spindles.

In the rear..... you might as well four link it. It's not that much more money. Add a c-notch, some f9000's behind the axle, and you will love the way it rides. That way you are all set up in the rear to go lower when you want, and the front will be about as low you can get without the major modifications. If you decide to go lower in the future.... the only thing you will be out is a c-notch.

4Runner Build
Old 08-07-2009, 02:12 AM   #14
texasfunk

Quote:
Alright....

for the front I'd run some plates up front and and some 3" drop spindles.

In the rear..... you might as well four link it. It's not that much more money. Add a c-notch, some f9000's behind the axle, and you will love the way it rides. That way you are all set up in the rear to go lower when you want, and the front will be about as low you can get without the major modifications. If you decide to go lower in the future.... the only thing you will be out is a c-notch.
sweet, thanx alot, wheres the best place to get the stuff?
Old 08-07-2009, 02:53 AM   #15
smashingchuck

Quote:
wheres the best place to get the stuff?
the real question.... how much $$$ do you have?

The possibilities are literally.... endless. I would buy the plates from a board member, spindles from summit, and it sounds like Nate might be able to hook you up with a real sweet set up for the rear. As for the air management, shop around. AVS, Porterbuilt, Air Ride, Suicide Doors, Twisted Minis, and more are all site vendors. I also recommend Larry @ Innovative Air Suspension.

4Runner Build
Old 08-07-2009, 03:15 AM   #16
texasfunk

Quote:
the real question.... how much $$$ do you have?

The possibilities are literally.... endless. I would buy the plates from a board member, spindles from summit, and it sounds like Nate might be able to hook you up with a real sweet set up for the rear. As for the air management, shop around. AVS, Porterbuilt, Air Ride, Suicide Doors, Twisted Minis, and more are all site vendors. I also recommend Larry @ Innovative Air Suspension.
sweet, around september my school funds come in, and i'll have around 1500 left over, i'll see what i can do with that, hopefully it'll get something done!

Last edited by texasfunk; 08-07-2009 at 05:05 AM.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:52 AM   #17
andrewmp6

kp has a bolt on 6 link and you can get bolt on notch's too and Porterbuilt has a bolt on rear kit just search for it on here.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote