The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-08-2009, 07:34 AM   #1
DADS71

A/C Clutch fried can I replace it?

I installed rebuilt compressor from delco store $250-300 this past dec. previous one had blew a seal around clutch. yesterday I was going down hiway and smelled electrical smell (burnt) never a good smell. opened hood clutch was smoken hot. And it fried, the metal ring on front spins and flops around .It seems like this also happened years ago when I had the blower switch in the second notch down from top the clutch wouldnt stay engaged it would pulsate on and off and fried the clutch that time also but in third notch down it stayed engaged and worked fine. I also had it in second notch yesterday. 1st off can you replace just the clutch successfully? and can any body help out on the switc, what would cause 1 location to frie out clutch?
DADS71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 07:51 AM   #2
cdowns

Re: A/C Clutch fried can I replace it?

clutch can be replaced a number of years ago i needed one and got it at NAPA
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:59 AM   #3
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

You will also need the special removal tools to do it. Clutch definitely is cheaper but I tried to do it on another vehicle many years ago and wound up replacing the whole asm anyway.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:02 AM   #4
big_al_71

yes you can change the clutch by it self, as far as the switch I cant help you with that but I will say that it is alwasy better to run it on high as the a/c resistor tends to burn out when the blower speed is at medium or low is what MY experience has been in the past adjust the temp rather than the speed.

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:25 AM   #5
mikajo39
Gearhead and audio junkie

yeah I got a clutch off a working A6 compressor at a swap meet for 5 bucks, removed it with a the AC clutch removal tool avalible at kragen on their rent out tool program took about 6 hours but it wasnt too hard.
Followed this guys directions printed em out and followed em. http://www.bernardembden.com/xjs/comclutch/index.htm
mikajo39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 12:47 PM   #6
DADS71

Thanks for all the replys guys. I ended up finding receipt it was under warranty even had to prove I installed new dryer. Got new unit installed. What could possibly be frying clutch out through blower switch/ bad connection?
Old 08-08-2009, 01:02 PM   #7
mikajo39
Gearhead and audio junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DADS71 View Post
Thanks for all the replys guys. I ended up finding receipt it was under warranty even had to prove I installed new dryer. Got new unit installed. What could possibly be frying clutch out through blower switch/ bad connection?
If it sat for a while they can go out,If it the clutch pack wasn't getting enough power I could see that as a problem not grabbing all the way and slipping making hot and burn out, sometimes they just go out
mikajo39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 01:16 PM   #8
fixit-p

high resistance in that circuit causing a low voltage at the clutch. possibly bad contacts in switch. I would measure voltage at the clutch and troubleshoot from there. You could always install a relay to ensure the clutch always gets full batery voltage and take the load off of the cab wiring, but I would fix the problem first.

Quote:
Originally posted by:Abraham Lincoln "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine."
fixit-p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 01:21 PM   #9
BarryB

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixit-p View Post
high resistance in that circuit causing a low voltage at the clutch. possibly bad contacts in switch. I would measure voltage at the clutch and troubleshoot from there. You could always install a relay to ensure the clutch always gets full batery voltage and take the load off of the cab wiring, but I would fix the problem first.
^ I agree put a relay in the curcuit it will take the brunt if you don't happen to find out the bad spot on the switch. Have you checked with the parts vendors on here? They might have a replacement switch available.

* You may be only one person in the world, But you may also be the world to one person.

* Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Two rules in life.
1. Never sweat the small stuff!
2. Everything is small stuff!
BarryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 03:44 PM   #10
DADS71

This compressor had 3 hours of total running time from last fall to now. I have put a new switch in one of my other trucks do you think that would help? Also on the truck that fried clutch there seemed to be only 1 fan speed when you moved lever up and down.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:18 PM   #11
ERASER5

Low voltage will smoke a clutch faster than you would believe. I would recommend the relay also. To find the bad spot, a volt meter is not enough. You will need to test the voltage AT LOAD. The load needs to pull about 4 amps. The relay will only pull 1/2 amp or less so you should be good to go. An added bonus the relay is that you drop the over all load on your 40 year old wiring. Always a good thing!

On a side note, I have often thought about installing a relay/fuse box from a late model just to have relays ready to go for any need. Of course I have not quite found the right spot yet.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 03:16 PM   #12
fixit-p

also check the ground side of the circuit

Quote:
Originally posted by:Abraham Lincoln "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine."
fixit-p is offline   Reply With Quote