The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-21-2009, 09:36 PM   #1
CWS

Brake Line Fittings

As you can tell by my post count, I am new here. Last weekend I replaced my rear brake lines (67 C-10) wheel cylinders, and drum brakes. Some of the brake line fittings screwed all the way in and others appeared to only screw in about half way, but were tight. This happened on one wheel cylinder and one of the connections on the T fitting. Is there a way to get then screwed all the way in before they get tight?

Craig
CWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:54 PM   #2
72swbcamo

Re: Brake Line Fittings

Did you buy lines at a part store off the shelf? Sometimes they have fitting on them that have extra long fittings, so they may only thread in what looks like half way but still be completely tight. Just look at he fittings and see if you have fittings that have the extra long threads.
72swbcamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 12:56 AM   #3
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72swbcamo View Post
Did you buy lines at a part store off the shelf? Sometimes they have fitting on them that have extra long fittings, so they may only thread in what looks like half way but still be completely tight. Just look at he fittings and see if you have fittings that have the extra long threads.
I agree,, Most of the parts store tubing has a 1 regular and 1 long fitting.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:16 AM   #4
71tahoe

If you can't push/pull the line in and out, it is tight.
71tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:38 AM   #5
mr48chev

The male fitting on the line seats the flare of the female fitting and as the others said some lines have different length male fittings on them. As long as the flare is seated correctly you are good to go.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:15 PM   #6
CWS

Thanks for the information. I never would have figured out that the fittings on the same tube (that I bought at the local parts store) would have different lengths. What did we do before forums like this?

Craig
CWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:30 AM   #7
mclairmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS View Post
Thanks for the information. I never would have figured out that the fittings on the same tube (that I bought at the local parts store) would have different lengths. What did we do before forums like this?

Craig
We screwed it up, took it apart again and figured out how to fix it correctly. We then taught our buddies, sons, neighbors, etc what not to do next time. Forums are great but we also need to get out there and talk to other humans. I bet most of the "experts" on this forum learned what they know from sources other than a forum or the internet in general. At least I did. There was no internet when I was building cars.

Last edited by mclairmo; 08-23-2009 at 10:31 AM.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote