The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-10-2009, 12:07 PM   #1
CJJ67

electric fuel pump

I have a 67 stepside with a 350 sbc motor. I moved the gas tank from the cab and replaced it with the suburban tank on the rear frame this weekend. My problem is that the carb doesn't seem to get enough gas on start up. There is no gas in the filter, but as you keep turning over the motor, it eventually starts and runs fine. No stalls when driving or accelerating. If you let it sit for a while, the problem is there again. I hooked the lines on the tank up as: filler line and vent line is good, but the two remaing vent lines I installed a vent plug/valve like you would use on a motorcycle. What I was thinking was that maybe the gas lines that I used are too big for the mechanical fuel pump. I had some clean 3/8 in. stainless steel tubing left over and I used that. If this is the problem, would an electric fuel pump help or do I need to use smaller fuel line. Oh yeah, I've already used compressed air to blow out the lines and I installed the tank over two years ago, just never got around to hooking it up.

Thanks for the help
CJJ67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:39 PM   #2
cdowns

Re: electric fuel pump

3/8 should b just fine// look at your carb/ having a non mettalic spacer should help to prevent fuel from perking out of the carb when ts hot

my belief is electric fuel pumps cause alot more problems than they solve
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:44 PM   #3
71tahoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
3/8 should b just fine// look at your carb/ having a non mettalic spacer should help to prevent fuel from perking out of the carb when ts hot

my belief is electric fuel pumps cause alot more problems than they solve
Exactly. 3/8 line should be fine. I'm sure V8 blazers and burbs had 3/8 from the factory.
71tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 02:36 PM   #4
jeffro788

I wouldn't recommend an electric fuel pump for a cruiser. I had a Holley Blue and it was louder than the motor. I am also running 3/8 line with a GM Performance mechanical fuel pump and have had no problem, is there not some sort of valve in the pump to keep fuel from draining backwards?
jeffro788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 02:54 PM   #5
riche

I think Mech fuel pumps are more reliable, so that is why I installed the carter electric fuel pump!!! I just can never do things easy!!!
I pulled the tank from the cab and ran a 3/8 line from the back to the front. The carter pump is not as loud as the holly and summit if you install it on the bracket right with the grommets. If not it will resonate through the whole frame!!!
riche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:36 PM   #6
CJJ67

Thanks a lot for the help and advise. As always, great group.
CJJ67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:33 PM   #7
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

all 4 bbl v 8 67 - 72 trucks got 3/8 inch lines.
there is no problem with the fuel pump dropping the line pressure. The engine doesn't run off whats in the line, it runs off whats in the bolw of the carb anyways.

Last edited by Longhorn Man; 09-10-2009 at 11:33 PM.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:55 PM   #8
oldcarfart

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJJ67 View Post
I have a 67 stepside with a 350 sbc motor. I moved the gas tank from the cab and replaced it with the suburban tank on the rear frame this weekend. My problem is that the carb doesn't seem to get enough gas on start up. There is no gas in the filter, but as you keep turning over the motor, it eventually starts and runs fine. No stalls when driving or accelerating. If you let it sit for a while, the problem is there again. I hooked the lines on the tank up as: filler line and vent line is good, but the two remaing vent lines I installed a vent plug/valve like you would use on a motorcycle. What I was thinking was that maybe the gas lines that I used are too big for the mechanical fuel pump. I had some clean 3/8 in. stainless steel tubing left over and I used that. If this is the problem, would an electric fuel pump help or do I need to use smaller fuel line. Oh yeah, I've already used compressed air to blow out the lines and I installed the tank over two years ago, just never got around to hooking it up.

Thanks for the help

3/8" OK, inlet check valve on fuel pump may be dirty or worn, also a small
(4") loop in fuel line about 12" back from fuel pump will prevent total fuel drainback to tank.
oldcarfart is offline   Reply With Quote