The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-14-2009, 08:13 PM   #1
hdrider

Fuel Pump Help

i have a 1982 GMC 1/2 ton 5.0L...i had to replace the fuel tank and sending unit on this truck because it was shot due to rust...i also replaced the fuel pump...i cant get gas to the pump from the tank...i primed the fule line from the carb but once that gas is pumped out, thats it...seems like its vapor locked...how can i get the fuel to feed up to the pump from the tank...i cranked the hell outta it & it would start to feed then stop, cant get a good flow...thanks

Last edited by hdrider; 09-14-2009 at 08:55 PM.
hdrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:08 PM   #2
gchemist
BAD BOW-Silverado XST

Re: Fuel Pump Help

The pump rod is probably not hitting the pump lever. Remove the pump. Use lithium or rebuild grease to hold the pump rod into the block. Install the new pump carefully. Crank it over. Fuel should come out the supply line to the carb.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:23 PM   #3
hdrider

thanks for the reply...dont think thats the prob because i replaced the tank after the pump & it was pumping from the old tank fine & thats when i noticed all the crud in the gas, droped the tank & seen it was too far gone & i replaced it & the sending unit.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:29 PM   #4
Primer70
Superbad

I had a 76 GMC that the rubber fuel lines were coming apart from the inside & plugging up the fuel line. I'd replace all the rubber lines & blow compressed air though the steel lines to be sure they are not blocked.
Primer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:38 PM   #5
hdrider

thanks...blowing compressed air back to the tank is my next move...the truck sat for a long time & now im having these problems getting it going again...what if it blows back fine & gas still isnt comming to the pump???...thanks
Old 09-14-2009, 11:11 PM   #6
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

im going to go along with the others and say its prolly more of a blockage than anything else... have you checked the fuel filter in the carb too?

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:25 AM   #7
Prong

Maybe you accidently swapped the lines on the sender (the feed and vapor lines).
Prong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:01 AM   #8
hdrider

running a holly carb & external fuel filter...have line disconnected befor filter when i crank it to check for flow...lines arnt crossed, 3 different size lines, i checked that...thanks
Old 09-15-2009, 11:10 AM   #9
Damien

Somewhere recently I read about some one having this problem and it turned out to be a big glob of solder plugging up the sender.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:58 AM   #10
hdrider

nope...i blew in every line on sending unit befor i put it in but thanks
Old 09-15-2009, 02:02 PM   #11
WRKTRUK

Had it happen to me, what was wrong for me was when I finally managed to get the tank back in it's location I didn't realize I had folded the feed line on top of itself, well pulled the bed off this time and could just get to it to straighten it back out. I dunno if that's what's going on with yours or not, but mine did the exact same thing until I finally started back tracking and realized that the rubber line had a nice 90* bend right up against the cab of the truck.

1972 Custom/10 Shortbed 4x4 4spd, bone stock 89,000 original miles one owner truck (very rusty, but original)
WRKTRUK is offline   Reply With Quote