The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-11-2003, 10:10 PM   #1
72dreamer

need some input from some pro's...

I need some help...I just spent over $3000 in rebuilding my 402 in my 72 c20, because it was my daily driver and the motor seized. Anyhow...Is it going to, cost wise, be worth it...for like wheels, etc. It is an ok body and only rust under the rocker panels, but need some input.

Thanx,

Derek
72dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 10:49 PM   #2
lpaine

It depends on what your idea of "worth it" is, make yourself a wish list- what is most important to you? What's your budget? How and when do you use your truck-daily driver or weekend cruiser?. You can easily go nuts on these trucks, the skys the limit. But I would get the basics right first, brakes, tires, exhaust, etc.- all that boring stuff, not very exciting maybe but your truck is gotta be reliable. Also, if you start buying aftermarket stuff-wheels or whatever, don't get rid of the original parts-keep 'um, if you(god forbid) sell your truck, you may get more for it if it's "original" remember, these are classics, and as such an original stock truck will always be desirable and fetch a good dollar down the road. Just my .02 worth.
lpaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 10:59 PM   #3
72dreamer

Thanx for your .02 Ipaine, it helped, if nothing else, my ego. Not many people in my area down here, that I have found, think that a 3/4 ton is worth any thing. I can see it looking awesome. It is a very reliable daily driver right now. It runs like a scared cat. I love how it runs and drives, but looks will come. Thanks again...
Old 04-11-2003, 11:37 PM   #4
Stroker

I agree and second the advice of lpaine. But it is only "worth it" if you like and plan to keep the truck. It's unlikely that you will get a full return on your investment if you sell. All of the original BB trucks are desireable even the C20s but they won't fetch the same price as a SWB 1/2 with same options and condition. And most that have went thru the process with those and sold will tell you they didn't recover their cost let alone time. But if you go out and buy you a $30,000 or $40,000 new rig and drive it for a couple of years then trade you'll take an even bigger bath. If you like the truck and can pay as you go, do with it as you like and make yourself happy. Most of the people who are telling you the truck isn't worth it are probably driving cars or trucks they can't sell for what's owed on them. The truth of the matter is there are very few vehicials that are "worth it" to anyone other than the guy who owns it. Sounds like you have yourself a solid truck, make it mechanicaly sound and reliable, then go for it. Good Luck....Stroker
Old 04-12-2003, 07:22 PM   #5
72dreamer

Thanx stroker....your input was needed and respected...
Old 04-12-2003, 07:59 PM   #6
Low69CST

Your best return on investment is going to be in the body, next would be mechanics. Its been my experience anything like fancy wheels, motor performance parts, stereo equip. won't bring an equal return on your money.
Quad Suspension and Dual Tanks
Low69CST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 08:45 PM   #7
Class of 69

In my opinion, we don't buy these trucks to be "worth it". For me, it's a piece of history that I took for granted as a young man. I paid as much for my solid, restorable 69 4x4 as it cost new, but if I had known then what all the classic GM cars I used to have would be worth now, I would have a priceless collection. All the advice given so far is right on,and remember...happiness comes from within..to hell with the Nah sayers!!!
Old 04-13-2003, 01:13 AM   #8
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Don't forget to look in junk yards for late model rims. I've seen some pretty sweet looking ones on the newer F-2 'fix-me' trucks.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote