The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-05-2009, 06:13 PM   #26
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

Re: JB weld question

Quote:
Originally Posted by highperf4x4 View Post
The starting fluid will have a much more profound affect on engine speed than the wd40 will. Spray it around the base of the carb "lightly" and also along the edges of the intake manifold where the gaskets are, also "lightly" (you don't want it to blow up in your face and I always recommend a fire extinguisher when dealing with fuel stuff) If you have much of a vacum leak it will speed the engine up considerably. I don't know that I would blame this on vacum leak though. It sounds a little funky and I would be suspicious of the carb itself.

As long as the line to your vacum modulator isn't cracked or broken then it will work no matter how much is metal or rubber. There is generally a metal line running from the engine to the trans though with a short piece of rubber line at each end.
Starting fluid didn't help.
My next move is to cap off all of the ports, on the carb and the intake, to see if it runs better...
This is some annoying crap yo'!
If I had the money, I would just take it somewhere and make somebody else find the problem.
It's pretty sad. I put all this time and effort into this motor, and now something small is pretty much defeating me... *sigh*
It's like cooking the perfect steak with all the right fixins to go with it, and then when you sit down to take a bite, your teeth fall out.
"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters." Ghengis Khan

IIOY???

Last edited by toddtheodd; 10-05-2009 at 06:16 PM.
toddtheodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:25 PM   #27
highperf4x4
Account Suspended

your teeth fall out.

Well it's sounds to me like a fuel delivery problem. If you're shooting starting fluid around the carb and intake didn't cause the engine to speed up momentarily then you don't have a vacum leak.

What kind of carb is it and what kit did you use to rebuild it?

Last edited by highperf4x4; 10-05-2009 at 07:25 PM. Reason: big fingers
highperf4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:04 PM   #28
70duramax

wow you rebuilt the carb but cant install a helicoil? weird!
70duramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:05 PM   #29
70duramax

or know what starting fluid is? carb clean will also work or even brake clean
70duramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:14 PM   #30
70clone

you shold fix the obvious problem first. with everything youve done you could have heli coiled the whole engine there not that expensive and they are very easy to install. i can have the carb off in 10 minutes and helicoil installed in 5.in 30 mins you could be done.
70clone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:16 PM   #31
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

What can I say... I know what I've dealt with in the past.
I have a friend that can rebuild th350 transmissions all day, but couldn't tell me how to pull a camshaft.
It's all in what you've dealt with, and what you know. I can deal with carbs, but never even heard of helicoils until this thread.
"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters." Ghengis Khan

IIOY???
toddtheodd is offline   Reply With Quote