The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-31-2009, 11:15 AM   #1
AndyL

Anyone work one? Am I nuts to consider it?

G'day All,

Wondering if I'm nuts -

Keep hunting for a rig to replace my 82 c2500 - bought a new camper; it's too heavy for this truck... I know I should be looking 90's+ but - I keep drooling over all the 47-54chev/gm 1ton's with the old grain boxes/hoists on the back....

Wondering if I'm just crazy, my initial thought was depending on truck to either run the old I6 (maybe with some upgrades to rid myself of points - and that efi conversion looked interesting) or swap in a 6.2/6.5 diesel... Then slap a set of 1ton axles Under it for a bit better braking/no king pins...

Use would be the daily driver, weekend camper hauler (slide in - 12' - 2218lbs dry) or weekend work truck (yeah, gotta get those extra pennies somewhere, means it gets a ladder rack and tool boxes).

Am I completely out to lunch, or should I go pick up that '47 1 1/2 ton GMC I was drooling over this week?
AndyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:06 PM   #2
MrTucker

Re: Anyone work one? Am I nuts to consider it?

I dont see why it wouldn't work. These old trucks were used for way heavier duty work than that back in their day. As far as power plants go - the straight 6 will get you anywhere you want to go, depending on gearing. There's a guy in town here that has a '50 2 ton with a 15' flat bed and a 235 6cyl that I've seen towing full size trucks. You'll never go 55mph with that set up, but you'll be able to go anywhere with the right gearing.

My father in law has a 40-something Dodge Power Wagon that must weigh close to 10k lbs. It has a 6cyl motor and it will go anywhere, pull anything and plow 4' deep snow without hesitating. But it's a struggle to do 45 mph in that thing.

If you want to go highway speeds as well as wheeling in the mountains a diesel swap might be up your alley...but good luck making it fit!
MrTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:31 PM   #3
OrrieG

Around here there were plenty of those setup used by the ranchers to replace the traditional sheep wagons. Set up the tool boxes so the camper slides over the top. A lot of those old truck had 4:88 or 5:12 gearing with two speed rearends too. If they can haul 10-12K of grain or spuds you camper would just be a light work out. I have posted pics of a friends set up, early 90's dually 1 ton 4 wd shortened with an 8 foot flat bed using a 57 big truck cab and front clip, might be another consideration. It also has the alcoa wheels with adapters.
Attached Images

OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:11 PM   #4
AndyL

Yup, the diesel swap concerns me Except you guys prove to me it's been done - just wish I could ask the guy who did it; really shouldn't be any worse than any other big block swap...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...0&postcount=10

I love my diesels; my 82 6.2 makes me shake my head... Can manage 60mph on the highway, downhill... With a tail wind, no power, but it's cheaper than my wifes little economy car to run...

Will have to look around, didn't know there were 2speed rear-ends - that would make things even better...
Old 10-31-2009, 04:55 PM   #5
blackdiesel

would steer clear of the 6.2 or 6.5. dish your firewall and go for a 12v cummins. theres a reason you dont see a v8 diesel in modern day semis!
'57 2wd change
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...light=speedway
blackdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 05:01 PM   #6
JaggedEdge

Sounds like a cool idea. Course I usually go for the "fringe" ideas lol

If you get one going hope to see some pics of what you chose and what you did to it.
OrrieG that is one cool truck!!! Dig the wheels. Your friend on here??? Love to see a build thread.
JaggedEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 05:19 PM   #7
AndyL

I might normally agree on the cummins - but it's just too much of a monster for a swap... Beefing up everything to accomodate it's weight, HP and torque is just not realistic... You basically end up having to swap in the whole dodge chassis as everything becomes a compromise...

The 6.2/6.5 are reasonable swaps based on Weight/HP/Torque... While not the high zoot end of the spectrum, they get the job done (kinda like a 350 swap - why bother when you could go LS1/383 stroker/LT1 right? Same scenario) The 4BT might be a bit more reasonable - but finding one at a reasonable price becomes an major factor... I could buy a running GM 1 ton with the full drivetrain, axles and everything - for less than a 4BT.

Not aiming for a show truck by any means (probably closer to rat rod knowing my love for bodywork) Just a solid work truck that I'm not going to have to spend all weekend fixing (when I could be out earning $ or out having a good time camping).

Do love the Alcoa's

Bed design is always fun - will probably want to keep the hoist running (makes those dump runs easier); fit the tool boxes on so they don't tip with the hoist, and have the ladder rack semi-easily removed so It's not like the current scenario with an hours of work to dismount (+ hernia) so I can load the camper...

Last edited by AndyL; 10-31-2009 at 05:20 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:23 AM   #8
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaggedEdge View Post
OrrieG that is one cool truck!!! Dig the wheels. Your friend on here??? Love to see a build thread.
No he is not into the internet except for craigslist and ebay type stuff, I've sent him links to the site and my build thread, I don't know if he lurks around or not. It was pretty straight forward from what I could see. Cut a section out of the frame behind the cab and fish plated it. Shortened the rear drive line. Back cab mounts are 2x4 steel tube laid flat on the frame. Front were fabricated and bolted to the frame. Radiator support was fabed based on now the front clip landed. It came with a 454 so firewall was notched. He built the flatbed and front rack. The Alcoa adapters are off the shelf items, he has the same setup on his Dodge 1 ton pickup, helps with the gas mileage.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote