The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-01-2009, 09:36 PM   #1
Dappy

'65 starting troubleshoot

I am looking for some troubleshooting ideas please.... Electrical is not my strength. A few weeks ago I bought an old beater. 65 body on a 74 frame, 3/4 ton FWD with a newly rebuilt 350. From the firewall forward, all the wiring is new, within 5 years or so, and does not match any wiring diagrams. The guy I bought it from said it drains the battery and he has installed a quick disconnect on the battery, so it must be disconnected and reconnected every time the truck is driven. I put a new voltage meter on the dash, and it registers 13 volts at idle, and 14 volts going down the road, and 13 volts with headlights on. With the truck stopped, when I disconnect the battery there is a heavy click (one) that comes from the horn relay. I just replaced the voltage regulator and the horn relay with new ones and the click remains. With the + cable disconnected, of course, there is no drain on the battery. The moment I connect the + cable however, the single click happens at the horn relay, and the battery discharges itself pretty quickly unless I start the truck. Starting the truck brings good voltage. I had the alternator tested at the shop, in the truck and truck running, and it is charging fine. Also... according to the wiring diagrams, the + lead on the battery should be connected directly to the horn relay.... but it is not. Also, the third wire down on the 4 wire clip attached to the voltage regulator has been cut. It looks as though that was done 20 years ago... the wiring diagram shows it going to the horn relay as well. Anyway... I would sure appreciate some ideas. The truck runs like a champ and charges fine and produces loads of electricity. I just want to get rid of this hassle of connecting/disconnecting the battery every time I drive it.
Dappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 01:07 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: '65 starting troubleshoot

Trying to sort out electrical issues can be a real challenge when someone else has modified the wiring. It's real hard to know what has been done. You say that you had the alternator checked. Is it an externally regulated alternator or internally regulated? Since the external regulator is in place one would assume the alternator would be an externally regulated type. But we all know what happens when we assume.....Does the engine compartment wiring somewhat resemble the original wiring? I would suggest confirming what alternator you have and then going from there to determine how it should be wired. One website that I have found helpful on wiring is Mad Electrical.

http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...elcoremy.shtml
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 01:28 AM   #3
19GMC63

Is your horn connected and working?
19GMC63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 01:41 AM   #4
neto

Sounds like 19gmc63 maybe on to something. Why would your horn make any noise (click) not unless it's being activated. Put the volt meter between your batery and ground cable to check for voltage leak. Then disconnect your fuses one at a time.
neto is offline   Reply With Quote