The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-14-2009, 02:42 PM   #1
dbmx66

will these rims fit?

i just got a set of slot mags 15x7 in the front and 15x9 in the rear the bolt pattern looks to be 5x4.75 will these fit 78 c10 heavy half?
dbmx66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 03:19 PM   #2
bigblock73
yeller

Re: will these rims fit?

Nope, C10's are 5 on 5
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 03:23 PM   #3
dbmx66

do they make wheel adapters? would machining each hole .125 bigger towards the outside be a bad idea? that would make them 5x5. .125 isnt that much. cuz i go to votech for machining so it wouldn't be hard.
Old 11-14-2009, 03:34 PM   #4
cableguy0

adapter or opening the holes is a bad idea. the wheels would be flopping around on the studs if you elongated the holes and would snap all the studs off. using adapters puts all the weights on the wheel studs and can cause the studs to snap off because instead of the weight being on the hub its on the studs. get wheels that are the correct bolt pattern its the only safe way to do it
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 04:16 PM   #5
dbmx66

i could machine them down to the thousandth of an inch. they would all be the same. would that still not work?
Old 11-14-2009, 04:38 PM   #6
cableguy0

it doesnt matter that there all the same. the point is the wheel will be able to move back and forth because the lug nuts wont be able to center in the hole because of the oversize hole. if the wheel is able to move around it will bend and eventually break the studs. the safest option is to get wheels that fit
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 05:27 PM   #7
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

There are quality adapters out there that will work. The catch is they are expensive and they add thickness to the mounting surface which could create a backspace issue.

By the time you buy the adapters, you may as well buy wheels that fit.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 01:13 AM   #8
dbmx66

i didint mean make the whole hole bigger just extend it out another .125 from the center. the hole would not change in diameter, it would look more like an oval, kind of like a slot that would be .5 thick or how ever thick the lug holes are now. its hard to explain.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:39 AM   #9
sailed2japan
Jonny

If you were to change the hole I would suggest not making it a slot, as this would allow the wheel to have some movement. I would keeping a round hole and making it .125" larger to the outside. However you would also have to make the chamfer that the lug nut sits in .125" larger and to the outside. if you do this you will loose some thickness of the wheel at the hub to make the lug pattern correct. The wheels on these trucks are lug centric, not hub centric, so I wouldn't worry the slightest bit about the wheel not messing on the hub as long as it sits flush on the wheel mounting surface. The reason for this is that alot of aftermarket wheels, including the ones I currently have on my truck, don't sit snugly on the hub to begin with.

Now you may also have to bore out the hub, the smaller bolt pattern may come with a smaller hub, this I don't know.

Now all that being said .125" may not seem like much, but when you're talking about things that need to be precise, it is. Make sure before you do all this work that you can get lug nuts that will have a larger "cone" on them so they will still seat well. I'd also use a peice of scrap and make a "test hole" to see how well they fit.

Another conern is that if your new bolt pattern is off in the slightest the wheels may not fit or may cause horrible vibrations. So, with the right nuts, and PRECISE machine work it can be done.
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve is someone who, at one time in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including his life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
-AEC Hundley USNR
sailed2japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:34 AM   #10
dbmx66

thanks for the help. but what i meant about the slots are like those rims that can fit different lug patterns. if i made the slot absolutely .125 bigger outwards from the center on all of them, if i do it right theres no way the wheel can move on the lugs, it would be a tight fit.

Last edited by dbmx66; 11-15-2009 at 08:34 AM.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:28 AM   #11
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Many of the older slot mags were what they called unilug. The holes were slotted to fit multiple bolt patterns. They had an offset hole oval washer for the lug nuts and they seated in step groove cut into the wheel face to keep them where they belong.

They suck and most people who have them want to get rid of them.

If you are dead set on machining them to fit then drill a whole new bolt pattern offset so it is centered between the old holes.

If you don't want to see the extra holes then press fit a slug of frozen aluminum round rod cut to size into the original holes after heating the wheel up to about 200 degrees. Once they both normalize in temperature the pieces will never come out. When you are done clean up the lug face on the lathe and the plugged holes will all but disappear.

You might have to open up the center cap area to clear the larger 5 on 5 bearing hub too.

You will spend quite a bit of time messing around with these wheels and they are not that hard to find or that expensive. You are better off selling them to a guy with a GM car and getting the right bolt pattern wheels for your truck and save yourself the headache.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:39 AM   #12
nlped

^^^ What he said!!!

1968 Chevy SWB Fleet... Walt

1963-1/2 Ford Falcon Futura...Martha
nlped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 12:41 PM   #13
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

I completely understand what you are saying. Even though you have the ability to do the machine work, have you thought about how much set up time is involved.

It might be worth your time and trouble. If it doesn't work, it's not a total loss. The retail price for used aluminum is around $.40 per pound

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 02:58 PM   #14
sailed2japan
Jonny

I got it now, I was thinkimg it had slots around, not for the lugs. I will never run a set of those as I have heard and seen too many horror stories. I'd drill a whole new pattern as mentioned above. It may not be entirely neccessary to fill the old holes, alot of after market wheels have 2 bolt circles for a "universal" fit. You'd just have to use your better fudgemant on that.
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve is someone who, at one time in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including his life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
-AEC Hundley USNR
sailed2japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 05:27 PM   #15
dbmx66

anyone have a set of 5x5 slots? i guess getting new ones will be a better idea
Old 11-15-2009, 10:45 PM   #16
Chlsnk

I have heard of old slotted mags having the bolt pattern welded in with aluminum and then having them redrilled for a smaller or larger bolt pattern and if you have acess to a mill to do the machine work go for it!

Last edited by Chlsnk; 11-15-2009 at 10:46 PM.
Chlsnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:15 PM   #17
dbmx66

im prolly getting my money back for them i think, i can hold off with my set of chrome wagon rims until i have enough for pro stars or draglites or something.