The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-01-2009, 03:59 PM   #1
southwilrise87

help with wiring

I recently purchased a rebel wiring harness to rewire my truck and I literally have no idea what I am doing. Ive never wired anything up before. Can anyone suggest a good starting point or a thread where someone has posted a walkthrough. I know it should be pretty straight forward but I dont want to screw anything up.

Its a '65 LB, if that info is needed.
southwilrise87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:06 PM   #2
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Re: help with wiring

The way I have always done anything wiring like is divide it up into small parts, for instance, remove the original fuse block and install the new one, then take the nearest clump of wiring and remove it, then replace it with new and so on. You can have a check off sheet to make sure everything is covered. Also dont they have a tech support line for assistance if you need?

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!

Last edited by Clyde65; 12-01-2009 at 04:06 PM.
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:30 PM   #3
62gmc910

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwilrise87 View Post
I recently purchased a rebel wiring harness to rewire my truck and I literally have no idea what I am doing. Ive never wired anything up before. Can anyone suggest a good starting point or a thread where someone has posted a walkthrough. I know it should be pretty straight forward but I dont want to screw anything up.

Its a '65 LB, if that info is needed.
which rebel kit? and what are your plans ie are you planning to retain the stock switches etc you can buy the slide clip terminal end to go into the stock plugs. just don't get overwhelmed and I recommend that you solder all of the connections that you make and remember the only stupid question is on left unasked
Good luck on your project
63 GMC 950 camperized school bus, (Gus the bus)
350 4speed 2 speed rear
64 GMC 950 "spare" bus 283? 4speed detroit locker
53 GMC 1ton dual wheel bus
78 GMC c25 short course off road race truck(son's truck)
355 th400 14 bolt (www.wheel2wheel.ca)
88 Peterbilt 379 longhood (hauls race truck)
62gmc910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:16 PM   #4
southwilrise87

hey thanks for the responses. I ended up just working from the stock fuse box to each circuit and labeling it. Then im going to lay out the new harness and figure out which circuits correspond and work form there one section at a time.
southwilrise87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:17 PM   #5
Roadhammer

I just did this job....Never wired anything before either. I took out the old harness in one piece and tried using a marker and tape to labe the wires i cut and where they cam from...If you have issues later you can go back to the old harness and look how it used to be. Also, even tho the rebel kit isnt the same as stock, the stock wiring diagram will be helpfull when tracing "problems if you run across any.

The biggest problem i had was with my old column. The wire colors were not right and wires were melted inside the tape when i pulled it apart. So i ended up doing s guess and sheck method using the flasher power and a test lite.

Everything else just took time and patients.

Good luck. Also DO NOT CUT if possible until you are sure you have the right connections made. I hooked everything up and tested it all then after i had it all working I disconnected, cut and routed the wiring nice and clean using tape and zip ties. Also, im a newbie so I ended up burning out a few fuses during the guess and check stages, so keep an eye on your fuses and have a few spare one kicking arround.

Jory

Keep in mind this is not advise coming from a mechanic...Im new at it just like you , I did it and i probably didnt do it the propper way but...its done and it looks pretty alright. LOL

All that wire is scary looking and i was pretty much dazed confused and frustrated for a week while i did this but its worth it inthe end.

Roadhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:46 PM   #6
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

You know that is (in my opionion) one of the fun things about messing with these old trucks. Getting to do something that you never did before- by just diving in- and then having the satisfaction of knowing "Hey- I did this" Also remember there is alot of info here and people that are knowledgeable AND are willing to help.
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote