The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-13-2009, 11:02 PM   #1
Panelman55

Fallen head liner

Does anyony know if there is a fix for the fallen chevy headliner. It would seem that the cloth has fallen and the rest is staying put. I tryed super 99 spray glue and it didnt work. If I take out the hole thing what is left. It is i an 86 GMC currently I wanted to fix it up a little.

Last edited by N2TRUX; 12-13-2009 at 11:14 PM.
Panelman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:12 PM   #2
cochino12
It followed me home?

Re: Fallen head liner

gotta pull it all out and reglue it. headlinger material is about $50 ((here in Co), scrape all the old glue, dust off the carboard and reglue it. Takes about 1-2 hours but make a huge difference

That's why they call it a shortcut Kyle, if it was easy it would just be the way.

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually
cochino12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:12 PM   #3
6772fan

Very common problem. The material is glued to a molded hardboard type of material. You should probably just go ahead and remove it and have a local upholstery shop locate color matching material and re-do it. Be very careful taking it down as the material is brittle and breaks easily.It's just a matter of removing the sun visors,s taking the trim off and work your dome light through the opening.The last few I've done cost about $75.00 completed. It's well worth it.

1979 Chevy SWB- (Second owner- Father in Law was first)

1979 Chevy Silverado SWB-Red/Red
6772fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:24 PM   #4
Rollie396
someday it will be done!

The headliner in my 80 did the same thing and instead of removing everything I cut it around the trim with a razor.There was jute under mine not cardboard.I'm not selling mine though and I kept the cut out material so I can make another when I'm ready to.
'66 long step (parked till it's turn comes around)
'65 short step (parts truck that will donate it's bed and possibly frame to the '66)
'06 Grand Prix wife's car (she hardly lets me touch it)
my pics
Rollie396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:27 PM   #5
Stitch
Account Suspended

I am the manager of an upholstery shop and if you take the headliner board out and take it to a shop, they will probably give you a good deal on recovering it and then you can reinstall it...the glue that we use is a commercial contact cement and you can't get it in a can in any store...we buy it from a supplier in 5 gallon buckets...I wouldn't trust much on the market to keep a headliner up except maybe the new glue by 3m for this purpose...that's if you do it yourself...the headliner material should only cost around $12 a yard and you only need a yard to do a standard cab truck...

We charge about $45 to recover a standard cab truck headliner board that has already been taken out by the customer...maybe less depending on whether we have the material in stock which is usually the case...

call around and see what kind of prices they give you...

Chuck.

Last edited by Stitch; 12-13-2009 at 11:28 PM.
Stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:56 PM   #6
Panelman55

I'll call the shop close to hame and ask them If I R&R what they charge. Thanks for the help!!!
Old 12-14-2009, 12:03 AM   #7
BLE 'BURBAN
In the Forgotten far North.

Easy fix for it would be to take it out, turn it upside down then gently pull back the fabric and spray both sufaces of the headliner with 3M GENERAL TRIM ADHESIVE, let it dry for about 5-8 minutes to get tacky, then press the 2 sections back together. Reinstall and you'll be good for a long time.
overhead console Stereo install Round 2 Aug 2009
Heated/turn signal mirror upgrade
BLE 'BURBAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:37 AM   #8
Stitch
Account Suspended

the problem with reusing the old material is that the old padding that was bonded to the material is what is actually glued to the headliner board...when the padding gets old it rots and turns to powder/dust...glue doesn't stick very well to the padding dust...even if you clean the padding dust off of the old material and the headliner board, the glue has a really good chance of bleeding through the material because it's so thin...like I said before the padding is actually what is glued to the headliner board and it soaks up alot of the glue so it doesn't bleed through the material...

also, just fyi, when we have a headliner come into the shop that someone has tried to "repair" by spraying glue on the headliner board in a manner as you mentioned, we charge them an extra charge of $20...this is because the glue must be sanded off or it'll show lumps under the headliner material once we glue the material down if we don't get it off...if you have to get it off of your head until you can get it to an upholstery shop or do it yourself, I suggest getting some thumb tacks and pushing them up into the headliner...

Chuck.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:50 AM   #9
Panelman55

What if I take it all out and put 1/2" foam on the metal then put the cloth over that. I had a VW that I trader for the GMC that was done that way. They used a burlap type materal. Just a thought!!! I really just want to trade for a 59-62 chevy/GM car.

Last edited by Panelman55; 12-14-2009 at 03:51 AM.
Panelman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:43 PM   #10
willett
Another Day, Another Dollar

i pulled my trim the other day panel and it looks like somebody did a similar thing to mine.

i am going to pull it soon, so i will let you know exactly what i find under there.

"its hip to be square"
willett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:23 PM   #11
Stitch
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panelman55 View Post
What if I take it all out and put 1/2" foam on the metal then put the cloth over that. I had a VW that I trader for the GMC that was done that way. They used a burlap type materal. Just a thought!!! I really just want to trade for a 59-62 chevy/GM car.
you might be able to make that work...I've done that in the past...you need to make sure that there's some way to finish the edges off by tucking them up underneath something or folding the edge so it's not a raw edge...

Chuck.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:16 PM   #12
britnjc

Just take it out and leave the bare roof. My 87 has a black roof and looks good with nothing. plus never have to worry about it falling again. If it does then I have bigger problems
britnjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:45 PM   #13
Stitch
Account Suspended

if he pulls it out and the trim down, then there will be holes from the trim that will show...and if he leaves the trim up with out the headliner, it'll look akward and like somethings missing...it's not a lot of money or time or effort to pull it down and have a shop recover it for him...

plus there is no sound deadening at all with nothing there...
Old 12-15-2009, 11:44 PM   #14
Panelman55

I called three shops today, two said $55.00 the other said he would come to my place and do it R&R for $100. I will pull it and get it done after Christmas.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:30 AM   #15
Stitch
Account Suspended

those are decent prices...that last price is really good considering he's mobile and coming to you...
Old 12-16-2009, 12:39 AM   #16
WestButteTruck
Kung Fu Master

I just took mine in the other day for new skin. I tried the 3M spray adhesive one time. It worked great!!!.....for a week. Then it started to peel off again. That cloth really shrinks and expands with the temps. Anyway, $50 and I'll be good to go again.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:52 AM   #17
Stitch
Account Suspended

good deal...that commercial stuff that we have is the ticket...

I'm glad you got it fixed for a good price...